Hide
13 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: What counts as "you kill an enemy on your turn" (item 102 spoiler) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Ackland
msg tools
Our vermling has item 102 - necklace of teeth. It causes you to heal when "you kill an enemy on your turn".

What counts as "you kill an enemy"?
If a summon kills an enemy, does the vermling heal? (Or the summon?)
If a mind controlled enemy kills a creature, does the vermling heal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your summons turn is not your turn. The summon doesn't have the item. -> no one heals.

If you mind control someone and kill someone with him, it's you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your summon kills an enemy on your turn then that counts as you killing the enemy on your turn. Of course, if your summon kills an enemy on its turn then that's not killing it on your turn.

If you push an enemy onto a trap which kills it that also counts as you killing the enemy.

These are stated in the FAQ (although you have to search to find them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
Your summons turn is not your turn. The summon doesn't have the item. -> no one heals.

Yes and ... kind of yes.

Answer 1 is correct.

Answer 2 is correct in terms of credit for the kill of you FORCE an enemy to attack another enemy, with you controlling it, however you would still not get the heal.

Also be aware if you ALLOW and ally to perform an attack, with them controlling the action, they get credit for the kill.

Basically, you don't heal unless your MT personally performs the attack.

And you only get credit for a kill if your MT controls that attack(or your summon kills something).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit001 wrote:

Huh? Says who?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gambit001 wrote:
Nicholas M wrote:

Yes and ... kind of yes.

Answer 1 is correct.

Answer 2 is correct in terms of credit for the kill of you FORCE an enemy to attack another enemy, with you controlling it, however you would still not get the heal.

Also be aware if you ALLOW and ally to perform an attack, with them controlling the action, they get credit for the kill.

And you only get credit for a kill if your MT controls that attack(or your summon kills something).
There's no reason for it to be different for personal quests vs item triggers. It needlessly overcomplicates things. If you control something else to make it kill something else, it counts as you killing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because there's no reason in your opinion for it to be different, doesn't mean that it isn't, however, even though I don't believe the intention is to heal yourself with a necklace you are wearing when something else kills an enemy, I can see where you both are coming from. One of the weird things where I'd like to hear from Isaac to confirm, as well as know why it is one way or the other.

Plus I can see this going either way, as I know there are something things in the game that sacrifice theme/logic for less rules being needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ says you're considered to kill something if you cause your summon to kill it, cause it to move onto a trap that kills it, etc. There's no ambiguity or "weirdness" here at all. You can try to get Isaac to repeat what he already said, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
Gambit001 wrote:
Nicholas M wrote:

Yes and ... kind of yes.

Answer 1 is correct.

There's no reason for it to be different for personal quests vs item triggers. It needlessly overcomplicates things. If you control something else to make it kill something else, it counts as you killing it.

Uh, that was one of the first questions I'd asked, I thought the resolution was: Whoever actually hits them counts as dealing the killing blow. So the Mindthief Possession ability actually does *not* count as a kill for himself, unless he used it on a summon of his own. For Traps, it only counts as a kill credit if you forced-movement onto the Trap...

At least that's what I remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:

According to Isaac, the person that lands the blow gets the credit. Not the person that controls the attacker.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25008754#25008754

Of course Issac also says that if your wound kills a monster no one gets the credit, and we house ruled that as it made no sense to us. If I used a card, and that card did the last point of damage, it seems that I should get the credit for personal goals.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25213787#25213787

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
There's plenty of threads/rules about kill credit for the purpose of battle goals/personal quests, many of which are already mentioned here. I would have thought that this item is exactly the same, except (and only except) for the extra requirement that it happens during your turn.

That would rule out things like summons acting during its own turn, any kills resulting from retaliate, and you performing an attack on another character's turn due to their ability card. But for any kills that happen during your turn, there's nothing to indicate it would be different from normal kill credit rules.

As for wounds, whether or not we're using the house rule that wounds give kill credit wouldn't affect this item. Wound damage occurs on the monster's turn and never during your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got confirmation from Isaac, and was partly wrong. If you control the attack, you get the credit, so if it says "with you controlling the attack/action", then you get credit for the kill if the figure you control kills an enemy, which is the part I already knew. Also, where I was wrong, the Necklace of Teeth does heal you if you control an enemy and it kills another enemy, but not if you "give an ally Attack X", and they kill something, because that is their kill and not yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit001 wrote:
So I got confirmation from Isaac, and was partly wrong. If you control the attack, you get the credit, so if it says "with you controlling the attack/action", then you get credit for the kill if the figure you control kills an enemy, which is the part I already knew. Also, where I was wrong, the Necklace of Teeth does heal you if you control an enemy and it kills another enemy, but not if you "give an ally Attack X", and they kill something, because that is their kill and not yours.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Beast Tyrant + Neclace of Teeth=Makes me look up every variation of this question every session lol

Ok..this is last time I look this up———ughhhhh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.