jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently I find that an early "an old friend" will almost always be chosen.
However if I draw an Early Millennium Falcon I will almost always pick Chewie, he gives some highly needed fists, while also leaving the possibility for getting an old friend in later draws.

With the new leader limit at 8 a new friend really isn't that great, even if you do draw it early it will "waste" you a Han action, and you won't get many "extra" actions thanks to it.
Kind of sad I have to say.

I don't know how "strong" a card it was in the base game, but it definitely made the Rebels feel a lot better mentally, especially if they have a captured or turned leader at the time.
Now with the other ways to get an extra leader (start with Saw, or thru one of the recruit leader missions) I am not sure Han will be as popular a choice as he was.

The counter to this is that "waiting" for an old friend will diminish and he will be recruited with the falcon more often. (although Chewie is usually a better choice for that easy sabotage - > leader rescue)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good topic.
Im on the fence on this. I think it will see less play indeed.
Thats because the missions to recruit extra are more efficiënt. Only one mission and you can use it as a free pass so toesprak instead of in assignment and down one Hero in command phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Old Friend will probably be picked less. Which is fine because the card is slightly more powerful than I think it should be. The nerf feels welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McNiven
msg tools
The one thing that would make someone want to keep 'an old friend' is if you look at the 2 recruitment missions, you can recruit every leader but Lando and Chewie. 'Promotion' gives you access to Ackbar, Wedge, Madine, Saw or Canadian while 'My Only Hope'allows you to recruit Luke, Obi-Wan, Han, Jyn or Chirrut. So if you want to be guaranteed Chewie or Lando, you have to use 'An Old Friend'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
I suppose it depends on the meta. The limit is on Leaders in the pool so if you suspect getting a hero turned or killed it may still be worthwhile to use the bonus recruiting action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So many of the action cards are really powerful game changing, An old friend was probably close to the top of the list in the base game, but now he simply does what 2 other missions do (different leaders).

By recruiting Han with this you are getting a relatively weak card, i wonder how often will I be ok with: not getting an action card that can save me to recruit Han.

If this card allowed me to automatically recruit an additional leader (without wasting Han's action to do so) or if it allowed the Rebels to have 9 active leaders it would retain it's strength, but as it is i ain't feeling it, especially if you don't get it on T2 or T3 (which the chances have gone down for)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Private Blinky
msg tools
No doubt that the new ruleset will impact effectiveness in the late game of 'An Old Friend', due to the enforced leader limit, but even getting this card on T4 will still have some merit on its own situations and potentially be an effective choice.

Because the rules clearly state you can remove any leader from your pool to make way for a new one, you are essentially given the means to supplant a 'weaker' leader in your pool for a 'better' leader piece. I'm of the opinion that out of the 4 starting rebel leaders, General Rieekan is arguably the weakest of the 4. (Situations may also develop that up that you want to trade out a earlier recruited leader for another when you are forced to meet your limit) But for comparison's sake, let's look at phasing out Rieekan when you've hit your leader limit vs the choices of Lando or Chewie as an 'additional' leader:

> Rieekan has 1 Log, 1 Spec, 1 Dip skill icons, 2 Ground and 1 Space Tactic value
> Chewie has 3 Spec skill icons, 2 Ground and 1 Space Tactic value
> Lando has 1 Log, 1 Spec, 1 Dip, 1 Int skill icons, 2 Ground and 2 Space Tactic value

Comparing Rieekan to Chewie, they are identical tactic values in combat, so no loss there. And as you've said, those additional Spec icons are an overall boon to counter Imperial Spec Ops missions. You do lose out on the means to participate in the other missions that Rieekan can initiate and contest, so this trade can be a bit of a mixed bag.

Comparing Rieekan to Lando, Lando is just overall better; he matches Rieekan's stats and even exceeds them with the ability to participate in Int missions, and stronger in space combat with 2 tactics vs Rieekan's 1.

Also considering the two unique cards for Rieekan are 1) Only a starting action card that allows to perform (a potential 4th) 'Hidden Fleet' operation 2) Deploy a SG and IC structure in the Rebel Base, neither card are major game changers on their own (unless you manage to never get a single Hidden Fleet mission throughout the entire game).

To put it in my own perspective, if I know I have Lando's or Chewie's special mission already in my hand when 'An Old Friend' surfaces and no 'better' action card choice, and I didn't end up with Rieekan's starting mission to begin the game, the ol' general may be making a hasty exit when it comes the time to 'skim the pool'...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PrivateBlinky wrote:
No doubt that the new ruleset will impact effectiveness in the late game of 'An Old Friend', due to the enforced leader limit, but even getting this card on T4 will still have some merit on its own situations and potentially be an effective choice.

Because the rules clearly state you can remove any leader from your pool to make way for a new one, you are essentially given the means to supplant a 'weaker' leader in your pool for a 'better' leader piece. I'm of the opinion that out of the 4 starting rebel leaders, General Rieekan is arguably the weakest of the 4. (Situations may also develop that up that you want to trade out a earlier recruited leader for another when you are forced to meet your limit) But for comparison's sake, let's look at phasing out Rieekan when you've hit your leader limit vs the choices of Lando or Chewie as an 'additional' leader:

> Rieekan has 1 Log, 1 Spec, 1 Dip skill icons, 2 Ground and 1 Space Tactic value
> Lando has 1 Log, 1 Spec, 1 Dip, 1 Int skill icons, 2 Ground and 2 Space Tactic value

Comparing Rieekan to Chewie, they are identical tactic values in combat, so no loss there. And as you've said, those additional Spec icons are an overall boon to counter Imperial Spec Ops missions. You do lose out on the means to participate in the other missions that Rieekan can initiate and contest, so this trade can be a bit of a mixed bag.

Comparing Rieekan to Lando, Lando is just overall better; he matches Rieekan's stats and even exceeds them with the ability to participate in Int missions, and stronger in space combat with 2 tactics vs Rieekan's 1.

Also considering the two unique cards for Rieekan are 1) Only a starting action card that allows to perform (a potential 4th) 'Hidden Fleet' operation 2) Deploy a SG and IC structure in the Rebel Base, neither card are major game changers on their own (unless you manage to never get a single Hidden Fleet mission throughout the entire game).

To put it in my own perspective, if I know I have Lando's or Chewie's special mission already in my hand when 'An Old Friend' surfaces and no 'better' action card choice, and I didn't end up with Rieekan's starting mission to begin the game, the ol' general may be making a hasty exit when it comes the time to 'skim the pool'...

While this is true that Lando is among the strongest of leaders and def better than Rieeken spending an action card an action by Han to get Lando next turn is a little expensive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
PrivateBlinky wrote:

While this is true that Lando is among the strongest of leaders and def better than Rieeken spending an action card an action by Han to get Lando next turn is a little expensive

But if it's done on turns 1 2 or 3 it's either a positive or neutral action trade. Also remember captured leaders don't count towards your limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
jooice wrote:
PrivateBlinky wrote:

But if it's done on turns 1 2 or 3 it's either a positive or neutral action trade. Also remember captured leaders don't count towards your limit.

Well turn 2 or 3 (you can't have him T1, only Motti can be recruited T1).
So this card becomes: you have 4 chances (2 each time) to draw a specific card out of 16 cards, and if the others aren't better then you take this card. i feel like most of the action cards are now better, but who knows ...

lastly a counterpoint: if you have a leader captured with no rescue missions this changes everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:
jooice wrote:
PrivateBlinky wrote:

So this card becomes: you have 4 chances (2 each time) to draw a specific card out of 16 cards, and if the others aren't better then you take this card. i feel like most of the action cards are now better, but who knows ...

lastly a counterpoint: if you have a leader captured with no rescue missions this changes everything.

Ok fine if you're counting like that then turns 2, 3, or 4, I was just counting differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
jooice wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:
jooice wrote:
PrivateBlinky wrote:

Ok fine if you're counting like that then turns 2, 3, or 4, I was just counting differently.

Acctually if you get han in T4 and recruit a leader then you dont gain any actions: since you spend han's to get an extra action in t5 after which would have been ur last recruitment which you need to forgo (assuming u dont have any captured leaders you would be at the maximum, 1 turn before you would have been)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:
jooice wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:
jooice wrote:
PrivateBlinky wrote:

Acctually if you get han in T4 and recruit a leader then you dont gain any actions: since you spend han's to get an extra action in t5 after which would have been ur last recruitment which you need to forgo (assuming u dont have any captured leaders you would be at the maximum, 1 turn before you would have been)

replacing Reikan or Dodanna with a better leader is still worth it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Remember some of the action cards have no leaders on them, or you could pick an action card with a leader you already have.

If nothing else you can always ditch dodonna (reiker has mobilization icon - risky to do that. I've won a game when I've had reiku captured and mon mothma carbonized, no way to move the base).

Also if you draw saw guerrera and you don't feel like losing a point, you're down a leader -> an old friend becomes just as powerful.

It's going to be less useful, but not useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Xatham wrote:
Remember some of the action cards have no leaders on them

The only no-leaders action cards are starting ones, so I don't believe they're relevant in context of An Old Friend discussion.

Xatham wrote:
Also if you draw saw guerrera and you don't feel like losing a point, you're down a leader -> an old friend becomes just as powerful.

You're never down a leader if you draw Saw. He's on 2 action cards:
- starting card, which gives you Saw in exchange for 1 reputation point, but also gives you an option to draw another starting action card instead;
- regular card (i.e. part of action deck), which gives you either Saw or Cassian with no reputation loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think i know why this rule is the most disappointing for me in the expansion (disappointed but probably balanced), is that my favorte addition is the option to start WITH Saw!
a 5th leader with red icons, just opens up the board, it feels really cool. also he has a logistics symbol which is great.
This 8 leader limit just puts a big wrench in my excitement, if the limit was 9 i wouldn't even think about it, it would just make it seem fair and right. But 8...

I am sure that play testing has proven that this is what balances the game, but still.

p.s
obviously Han's card also feels nerfed, even more than Saw's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Perf wrote:
Xatham wrote:

The only no-leaders action cards are starting ones, so I don't believe they're relevant in context of An Old Friend discussion.

Do we know for sure that "Track them" and "False orders" are starting action cards? I thought they were regular cards, and that you had to give up a leader to pick them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xatham wrote:
Perf wrote:
Xatham wrote:

Do we know for sure that "Track them" and "False orders" are starting action cards? I thought they were regular cards, and that you had to give up a leader to pick them up.

Look at the front of the cards:

they dont have the little recruit symbol that the others do, kinda like Saw's starting card:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMK
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
May neighbors respect you, trouble neglect you, The angels protect you, and heaven accept you.
badge
May your troubles be less, and your blessing be more. And nothing but happiness, come through your door.
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be a lot of discussion around whether Han will get chosen more or less often (and of course he is now chosen significantly less often).

I think a better question is how much more/less often will Lure get played. Lure requires at least two actions from the Dark Side player if they get the card before T4 (which is pretty unlikely). This card is less likely to come out before T4 than Old Friend and requires more actions to implement than Old Friend. Taking the time to do this when you are still going to be capped at 8 leaders by T5 seems like it isn't worth it.

I like most aspects of the expansion, but I really feel like the leader cap is a cop-out by FFG. It helps avoid particularly lop sided games due to poor play (allowing Lure to occur) which takes away from the variety. It makes the game more forgiving of bad play, which I think is a bad thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keele047 wrote:

I like most aspects of the expansion, but I really feel like the leader cap is a cop-out by FFG. It helps avoid particularly lop sided games due to poor play (allowing Lure to occur) which takes away from the variety. It makes the game more forgiving of bad play, which I think is a bad thing.

I don't think that allowing Lure is bad play.

If the empire draws it early, it is almost impossible to stop.

You are bound to infiltrate or sabotage in the first few turns (probably both in almost every turn) and a waiting vader and a waiting palpatine are pretty unstoppable.

But I do agree that these 2 cards that allowed for a 9th leader in the base game should really have exceptions built into them to allow for a 9th leader. It just feels a little cheap otherwise.

I do think that I have actually recruited Han more since I got the expansion, but a lot of it is luck.
If I draw an old friend real early, or right after I have had a leader captured it isn't a bad move. And if I draw the Falcon there is a better chance I will pick Han then before, I am no longer hoping I draw "an old friend" Chewie is rather unique as a rebel leader, but with Saw being able to accomplish those 3 -red objectives and Han being able to do all the 2-red objectives it isn't a no brainier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be acceptable as a variant to allow a "soft" leader cap, allowing players to keep more than 8 leaders, but changing the end-of-turn rules so that you can only put back 8 leaders to the leader pool. With 9 leaders, one of them would then stay in play each turn, giving support or defense against missions, but preventing unit movement. This seems less harsh than the instant kill rule, though the change may slightly favor the rebels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
I think it would be acceptable as a variant to allow a "soft" leader cap, allowing players to keep more than 8 leaders, but changing the end-of-turn rules so that you can only put back 8 leaders to the leader pool. With 9 leaders, one of them would then stay in play each turn, giving support or defense against missions, but preventing unit movement. This seems less harsh than the instant kill rule, though the change may slightly favor the rebels.

in one of the games this weekend, both my opponent and I had an early recruitment (Motti and Saw) and both recruited a leader on turn 2. SO going into round 3, we each had leaders already! with the new recruit cards you can really pass that leader limit quite easily and leaving a leader on the board would be quite beneficial in many cases.
Currently only action cards let you place a leader on the board to oppose certain missions, protect units etc. I would imagine that "leaving" a leader on curoscant will hurt the Rebel's HotE chances.

It is a cool variant, but I think it has many game-changing implications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Keele047 wrote:
It helps avoid particularly lop sided games due to poor play (allowing Lure to occur) which takes away from the variety. It makes the game more forgiving of bad play, which I think is a bad thing.

I think that without leader pool cap, one faction drawing more "get 1 more leader" cards early would be much more frequent reason for lopsided expansion games than Rebel player failing to stop Lure of the Dark Side.

Besides, even with a leader pool cap, I still seem to have (and seize) plenty of opportunities to play poorly as the Rebels!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peterson
United States
Beaverton
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The leader cap, has no impact for me for playing the Han card or any of the recruit new leader cards from either side.

Remember you get more leader's faster, and when the 9th leader show up, you just retire one of your starter leaders or ones with less skills.

The best play in my opinion make sure you have played the cool mission for Jan Dodonna, General Rieekan or General Tagge. or any of the leaders with less amount of icons than some of the leaders that have more icons.

Ideally you play the cool mission or action cards and then "upgrade" them.

Also the limit is what is in your pool, so for the rebels if there is a captured leader that doesn't count against your limit. until you rescue them.

I personally like have the extra leaders early so getting Saw Gerrera or Admiral Motti on turn 1 is great, always can "upgrade" later when need forced to.

Increasing the leader limit, IMO increases each turn length for no reason, the game is long and I love it, but don't need it to be longer especially if a player suffers from AP, one of my friends who I play with Rebellion with take a long time on his turns as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While more leaders early is great, you wouldn't waste an action to recruit a leader in round 4 and beyond unless your are down a leader or have a specific card for a leader

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.