Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many copies of a war game do you get of a game if you really like it? Do you do that with the goal of selling it later, if not, than why do you get more than one copy of a war game.?

Thanks,
turks1966
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I fume when I see photos of people's games collection and there are multiple copies of games and some are kept in their shrink. There are wargamers out there who want to play these things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that some buy a second copy if they think that this game they love will go out of print and want to have a backup copy in case something happens to their "play copy".

But I already have problem storing single copies of the games I like so I will definitely not buy a second copy of a game (neither as a backup nor for speculation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

One, but I have occasionally acquired a second copy of a game, sometimes because I forgot I already had one at the moment of the purchase. Sometimes by gift or exchange. There are maybe 6 titles that I have 2 copies of, and never more than that.

And it isn't games I like more that this happens with, it is much more random than that. I will generally look for an opportunity later to trade one of them away, but it still happens occasionally and therefore the stock of "two-fers" never quite gets to 0.

I would never accumulate numerous copies of any game just "on spec" or to sell later. I am not a game store, but a gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get extras if I think they'll sell/trade/secret-santa later. Especially on sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I have multiple copies of a few games. For some, it is to have spare parts when things get lost or wear out. For others, I can have one copy set up in the middle of the game and still have one to bring somewhere else to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
You know with Hitler? the more I learn about that guy, the more I don't care for him
badge
Ashwin
mbmbmbmbmb

I think I have three copies of Burma. I had four but gave one away. I have two copies of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, one of which is unpunched. I have the Phalanx edition on KS but nothing would get me to part with my AH version. Too many happy memories.

I also have two copies of The Supreme Commander, because it was going very cheap.

I want another copy of Unhappy King Charles!. I would be gutted to lose any of the pieces of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the only reason, I have bought multiple copies of a game was for parts if I am missing bits or if something is worn out I will look to buy a players copy to make my copy complete again. I don't throw out those incomplete games, I hang on to them just in case I have another counter that goes missing(hopefully not the replaced counter again ) or part that needs replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turks1966 wrote:
How many copies of a war game do you get of a game if you really like it? Do you do that with the goal of selling it later, if not, than why do you get more than one copy of a war game.?

Thanks,
turks1966

One.

If I know its rare, it will get the high-res scan treatment before anything is touched. Therefore, I only buy unpunched and take some time before it ever hits the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I have in duplicate is Panzer Leader, one is a beatup player's copy, the other a nicer unpunched one. Although now I have printed & mounted nearly all of the available counters and mapboards from Imaginative Strategist I rarely need to use the actual game except the scenario cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have four games in duplicate: Invasion America by SPI, one tray version and the other the designer Ed with the mounted map, one of my all time favorite games. Tank! by SPI because we wore out the original; Panzer Blitz because the original copy I have was my 2nd war game and was given to me by my mom for Xmas 44 years ago so I have a copy for play; and finally Leviathan by FASA simply because the first copy I bought on Ebay was missing the two smallest ships (the box versions) so I bought a second because I couldn't find the missing ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hansen
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaermo wrote:

But I already have problem storing single copies of the games I like so I will definitely not buy a second copy of a game (neither as a backup nor for speculation).

What do you mean? Just add on another wing to the house. (See top right)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only games I own multiple copies of are the ones that I use for instructional purposes at the games club that I run for the local high school (specifically Strike Force One, Waterloo 20, and Oil War).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy multiple copies if I want more pieces for bigger battles. For example, I have 2 copies of the Memoir '44 theater packs for playing Memoir '44: Operation Overlord and have 2 copies of most Commands & Colors: Napoleonics games for playing Commands & Colors: Napoleonics Expansion #6 – EPIC Napoleonics. I also have 2 sets of Hold the Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm a player, not a collector, not a speculator, and I really don't have the space to store multiple copies of single titles, so I only have 1 copy of each game.

The lone exception is Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer-- have the 1st and Remastered editions, but the 1st edition is on the trade block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I'm tempted to buy a back-up, if it's a really good price.
I did this only with Europa Universalis, and have never cracked the
spare though.

I wouldn't buy for resale though - there are better ways to make money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a time, twenty or more years ago, I usually got two copies of new games I really wanted. I did it because I wanted an unpunched copy of the counters. But I stopped doing that a long time ago, after I started just printing a copy of the countersheets before I punched them. And since my massive downsizing (from over 500 games down to 57), I only have one copy of the games I still own.

The one exception to the old rule of one copy was Panzerblitz/Panzer Leader. I had about ten copies of each of them, with loads of additional counters from the web. I made huge battles involving several divisions worth of units just for fun. But I sold off these with the downsizing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moujamou wrote:
I fume when I see photos of people's games collection and there are multiple copies of games and some are kept in their shrink. There are wargamers out there who want to play these things.

Yep. I can't really understand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Europe 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two copies of Starship Troopers. One is the copy I originally purchased in 1978. It has sentimental value to me since it is the game that got me in to boardgaming. The other copy is a player's copy that I use frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't pulled the trigger on any second copy yet, but I can see myself doing it sometime. For example, I found it very difficult to acquire my copy of EotS: there were no copies to be sold on the geek market in Europe, or anyone from the US willing to ship there. I ended up paying way too much on eBay, and I play it enough that I might get the third printing and store that somewhere, "in case of".

However, I have to point out I live in countries with high heat, lots of humidity, and I move every two years or so. So I think I can be forgiven for being a tad paranoid about the lifespan of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One copy will do.

Buying wargames is pretty expensive so I don't feel the need to but the same game multiple times. The only expections are Stonewall Jackson's Way and Tunisia because I bought the 2nd edition as well. The plan is to trade these first editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turks1966 wrote:

Thanks,
turks1966

I don't buy multiple copies of wargames, (unless I ruin or lose one).

However, I do have multiple copies of Diplomacy, (which is kind of an abstract wargame, I supppose).

To answer the question "why?" that you posed, is that my first copy was an AH version with the plastic pieces.
(It works fine, but it is not the most elegant of games, aesthetically speaking.)

I also found that it was nice to have a second copy of the game set up in another room, so we can separate out a bit to have semi-private discussions. So, found a cheap AH version with the wooden pieces.
(which is much better looking, IMHO.)

Then, several years ago, I happened to be up in San Francisco at a game store up there, (Gamescape, I think?), and they had a vintage 1961 version of the game for a decent price, so I picked that up, (which I now use as my primary game, and I now have two backup boards, so we can really split up into smaller groups for our discussions. (Makes backstabbing a fellow player just that much easier!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
moujamou wrote:
I fume when I see photos of people's games collection and there are multiple copies of games

Why pass up a bargain price on a classic???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically get 1 copy and then scan it (so I can make replacement parts). I don't have a budget to buy 2 copies, and since I don't sell/trade games away it makes me sad that I can't ever swap away something hot for something I really would like to own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.