Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

I like political themes and Copycat doesn't appear to be a classic political game. It does such a good job of incorporating a few different mechanisms that I love. The game is much lighter than it appears which is a huge plus.

Copycat is a play on words that the designed borrowed a lot of ideas from other games. It is packaged into a political theme of running a political candidates office. It never really feels like a political theme, but it is mostly used for the humor in the game. The cards used make fun of the political landscape without ever bagging on a political party or player (no George Bush or Obama parody here!).

The game instantly feels familiar for those of us that play a lot of games. This is how the game is intended to feel, but it also makes the game easier to understand and to digest. This is a huge plus to use this game as a gateway game as you can introduce new concepts in an easy to understand package.

A downside to the game is the replay. The game is rather simple so you sort of do the same things all the time. There are some really powerful cards that come out towards the end of the game. There are some cards that our group loves to target and may determine the game (be prepared for this!).

I really do like this game. I would recommend keeping this on your shelf as a gateway game to introduce some new concepts to gamers. It also can be a quick (30 minutes or so) game for gamers. As the cards get more powerful, it is really fun to use these cards. I love putting combinations together that score me a ton of points and to see my opponents face when I do so.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are pretty good. The art goes for a comical cartoon look which I like, but might not make a lasting impression. The game reminds me of a classic Euro game in the Friedemann Friese vein. The little peace sign markers are cool. Otherwise, it could be considered bland. The graphic design of the board is excellent and there are a few hidden jokes hidden throughout the game.

Rule Book:

I found this rule book to very very good. The game appears more complicated than it is from looking at it and the rule book does a great job of making and keeping the game simple. I like how the book is broken up and the hints at the back of the book. There is also a separate sheet with clarifications for the cards. Excellent job.

Flow of the Game:

The winner is the player that gets the most victory points.

A round of the game is the following:

1. Players will draw 5 cards from their deck and choose one card to be used as their initiative card. This will determine the player order.

2. Actions: Players will use their workers to place their workers on the board. These actions are not always taken immediately, but if they are you lay your worker down to show it has been used. Actions normally give you the ability to play cards, draw cards, get money and/or victory points.

3. Getting cards: (think Through the Ages): Cards have a cost on the cards and the further down the row they are they may cost an extra coin or two. When a card is purchased the hole is left there and the cards are only shifted if a card allows it or at the end of the round. If you choose a red card, you must choose all the cards to the left also.

4. Clean Up: Prepare for the next round.

The game combines worker placement, card purchasing, card play and deck building.

Should I buy this game?:

I've used this game as a gateway game before as I don't find the too complicated. With that said, someone will want to play modern board games before jumping in. The game flows rather well for me considering it is 3 other games smashed together. People looking for another Power Grid may be disappointed, but the game can be played as a light to medium weight game.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
mbmb
william4192 wrote:
The cards used make fun of the political landscape without ever bagging on a political party or player (no George Bush or Obama parody here!).

Technically there is a parody of Bush surprising Merkel, not to mention Putin's manliness PR photos. But it is more about satirizing the political process than lampooning specific politicians and ideologies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
abdiel wrote:
william4192 wrote:
The cards used make fun of the political landscape without ever bagging on a political party or player (no George Bush or Obama parody here!).

Technically there is a parody of Bush surprising Merkel, not to mention Putin's manliness PR photos. But it is more about satirizing the political process than lampooning specific politicians and ideologies.

Yeah, that's fair. I had forgotten about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, Jason!
I like this game quite a bit, too. I agree that it can feel kinda samey, but at the same time it's also pretty charming. I do think that the political theme is present enough (mostly through humour) to justify itself (even if it could have been nearly any other theme and made just as much sense).

...and I suppose a satire of Obama can be seen in the box art parodying the "Yes We Can" posters of Barack Obama

Great job!

-Jordan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.