Popular Tags: [View All]
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting on my copy... but, I’ve watched the video and am looking forward to a first play of course.

One question I have for those who have played.

Is a complete play - of the recommended First Curse - possible in one setting/game night? Roughly 2-3 hours of play?

Trying to gauge if I even bring it to the game nights I attend. We play from 5:15-8:30ish - a solid 3 hours or so.

Would we be able to crack out a one curse game in 3 hours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll find from reading the several reviews up on the site now that the first curse is taking folks between 15-18 hours or so to beat. None of the curses are going to be defeated in a single play session but you should still be able to have 1-2 hour play sessions to show people the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jsesta84 wrote:
I think you'll find from reading the several reviews up on the site now that the first curse is taking folks between 15-18 hours or so to beat. None of the curses are going to be defeated in a single play session but you should still be able to have 1-2 hour play sessions to show people the game.

I see that now - just needdd to look more closely. 😁

I skimmed a couple - but alas my lack of coffee got in the way.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sendy
msg tools
SoylentRed wrote:
jsesta84 wrote:
None of the curses are going to be defeated in a single play session but you should still be able to have 1-2 hour play sessions to show people the game.

Thanks!

The game plays great in one to three hour sessions and setup from a save is only about 30 seconds, so if you can get people to commit to running through a full curse you can easily split it up over multiple game night, the first quest took me about 30 hours total but i had two failed attempts, the first i went the complete wrong way and explored too much but got 15 hours in. 5 and a half sessions
hint:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the Curse clue cards really are clues...

The second attempt only lasted one session as i was too reckless with the action deck.
The third attempt took me about 12 hours split over 5 sessions.

I managed to defeat the second curse in about 13 hours over 5 sessions as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played about 8-9hrs the the first time through and then realized we had gone totally off track and woulod have to back track for ages. So we started again with a better idea of our objectives and what gear we would need, which worked much better and we've clocked about 3hrs now and feeling much more in control.
So once we're done I'd say we will have done a couple more sessions so maybe another 4-5hrs so a total of 16hrs roughly which was the suggested time per curse

great game BTW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh B
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
belverker wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:
jsesta84 wrote:
None of the curses are going to be defeated in a single play session but you should still be able to have 1-2 hour play sessions to show people the game.

Thanks!

The game plays great in one to three hour sessions and setup from a save is only about 30 seconds, so if you can get people to commit to running through a full curse you can easily split it up over multiple game night, the first quest took me about 30 hours total but i had two failed attempts, the first i went the complete wrong way and explored too much but got 15 hours in. 5 and a half sessions
hint:
the Curse clue cards really are clues...

The second attempt only lasted one session as i was too reckless with the action deck.
The third attempt took me about 12 hours split over 5 sessions.

I managed to defeat the second curse in about 13 hours over 5 sessions as well.

As spoiler free as possible, but was the experience of the second curse sufficiently different from the first? Just keen to understand how different the curses are in terms of game experience...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, after reading post on how long it takes to complete the first curse, i'm no where near completing it lol. I went in thinking it would take like a couple of hours to complete, and i have already restarted twice. Better rethink my strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t vl
msg tools
SoylentRed wrote:
Is a complete play - of the recommended First Curse - possible in one setting/game night? Roughly 2-3 hours of play?

Trying to gauge if I even bring it to the game nights I attend. We play from 5:15-8:30ish - a solid 3 hours or so.

Would we be able to crack out a one curse game in 3 hours?

I'm surprised nobody brings up The Crystal Song. It's an introductory curse Serious Poulp has released that can be downloaded on their website and combined with the base game. It's an excellent way to get to know the mechanics of the game, and you can play it in a single session because it has a timer! It ends after you turn a certain number of exploration cards.

It's been awhile since I've played it, but if I recall correctly it took us approximately 2-3 hours to finish, so I think this is exactly what you're looking for. Another plus is that it immediately gives you and your gaming group a goal (albeit a simple one of course), whereas with the Varacious Goddess, it can take a couple of hours of play before you understand what exactly it is you have to do.

GlobeTrotting wrote:
As spoiler free as possible, but was the experience of the second curse sufficiently different from the first? Just keen to understand how different the curses are in terms of game experience...

That kind of depends which curse you play second, as there is no set order after the Voracious Goddess.

In every game, the core gameplay is the same of course, but the different curses do send you to different places, where you'll have to do different things.

After playing the VG, we played the Bloody Hunt as our second curse. As the title suggests, this one is more combat heavy, and has you travelling all over the continent. It's less strict in terms where you have to go to lift the curse, so you have the freedom to go to places you haven't explored before.

But I suspect you might be referring to An Offering to the Guardians as "the second curse". I'm playing that one right now, and I have to say I'm still enjoying it, even though I've seen most of the continent by now. I am very happy that I'm combining it with the Dark Chest of the Damned, however. If I had played them seperately, I'm sure I would've enjoyed the first, but the second would've fallen flat. The reason for this is that
(click for mild spoiler)
they have you go to the exact same places, so going there on two seperate occasions would've been tedious in my opinion

Playing them together solves that problem though. These two curses sure give you the runaround, but they're enjoyable nevertheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.