Ryan McManus
United States
Peosta
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Evariste Galois (1811-1832) Rest in Peace
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to get a ticket to BGG.CON this year. In order to get in, I think all I need to do is bring a paper copy of the e-mail confirmation I received and then wait in the super long line, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. That's about it, but how long you wait in line depends on when you arrive.

One of the best things about BGG con is that there are volunteers in white and gold jerseys that are tasked simply with making sure the con is awesome for everyone. So feel free to ask them anything. Trust me, they love helping...that's why they volunteer.

Have a great time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McManus
United States
Peosta
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Evariste Galois (1811-1832) Rest in Peace
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Jeff. I am really looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add that last year, new procedures were put in place to speed up the flow of the registration line. Unlike previous years, the line was gone well before 1PM and, at that point, it was walk right up.

I was volunteering and saw this with my own eyes.

I don't have direct knowledge but I assume it will be the same this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedMarshall wrote:
I should add that last year, new procedures were put in place to speed up the flow of the registration line. Unlike previous years, the line was gone well before 1PM and, at that point, it was walk right up.

I was volunteering and saw this with my own eyes.

I don't have direct knowledge but I assume it will be the same this year.

+1

It went really smooth last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ostrander
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People start lining up around 2-3am. but that is only like 10 people. the majority of people start lining up around 6am or so and registration starts a few hours later. everyone brings small portable games to play in line and you play with the strangers in line around you. make new friends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zatchstar wrote:
People start lining up around 2-3am. but that is only like 10 people. the majority of people start lining up around 6am or so and registration starts a few hours later. everyone brings small portable games to play in line and you play with the strangers in line around you. make new friends

Is this just for the free games? I can't think of any other reason since the exhibitor hall is closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
zatchstar wrote:

Is this just for the free games? I can't think of any other reason since the exhibitor hall is closed.

I can think of three reasons people line up early:

1. Excitement. People are raring to go and want to feel like they're part of something big! Getting in line with strangers who feel the same way helps accentuate that feeling!

2. Wanting to make sure to get a game of <favorite Hot Game> in. If you really want to play this year's biggest hit from Essen, often the only way to guarantee getting a game in, especially early in the week, is to be one of the first people to register so you can get to the table more quickly.

3. The free games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed - for some it's the free games and getting first pick - but for most of the early risers it's the excitement and buzz of the con. I know a few people who hate it and wait till the line is calmer - it's not necessary, just preference.

In the past, being in the back of the line would mean a LONG wait to get your badge... but last year's new check-in procedure made the line FLY - and I predict that this will actually shorten the line in the future. I think some people got in line just to avoid missing a few hours of game time by being at the back of the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ostrander
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
zatchstar wrote:

A lot of the hot games fill up quickly and get checked out quickly. I remember last year I was about 50 people back in line and went straight for games I wanted to play but they were all gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
LiteBulb88 wrote:
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
zatchstar wrote:

1. Excitement. People are raring to go and want to feel like they're part of something big! Getting in line with strangers who feel the same way helps accentuate that feeling!

2. Wanting to make sure to get a game of <favorite Hot Game> in. If you really want to play this year's biggest hit from Essen, often the only way to guarantee getting a game in, especially early in the week, is to be one of the first people to register so you can get to the table more quickly.

3. The free games.

4. Line time is game time - Usually people bring games to play in line. Often they are this year's hot games. I always get to play some of the latest hot games waiting in line (in addition to games that I would usually not be able to get to the table).

5. Early Linecon has become sort of a tradition. The same people are usually there early and they are great people (except for that guy...you know who you are!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ikiru wrote:
LiteBulb88 wrote:
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
zatchstar wrote:

3. The free games.

4. Line time is game time - Usually people bring games to play in line. Often they are this year's hot games. I always get to play some of the latest hot games waiting in line (in addition to games that I would usually not be able to get to the table).

5. Early Linecon has become sort of a tradition. The same people are usually there early and they are great people (except for that guy...you know who you are!).

As I recall: last year someone passed out a game specifically to play in line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like getting there early because I drive and want a good parking spot in the garage. It helps to not have to lug games and other baggage as far to the hotel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
My roomate lines up every year at 6AM or so. For him, it is part of the fun and experience. I think he's crazy, but he really likes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Denney
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year, the ever insane & wonderful Rikki Tahta (designer of Coup) had a crazy recipe filling game set up (complete with a barcode scanner) for teams to play while waiting in line. It was really fun, and very inventive. And, yes, the registration process is much faster and smoother than past BGGcons. Great job all involved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
ezradenney wrote:
Last year, the ever insane & wonderful Rikki Tahta (designer of Coup) had a crazy recipe filling game set up (complete with a barcode scanner) for teams to play while waiting in line. It was really fun, and very inventive. And, yes, the registration process is much faster and smoother than past BGGcons. Great job all involved!

I played that later in the con. It was a game of Haggle by Sid Sackson and Robert Billingsly. Rikki created the goods and scoring rules, and used a card reader for efficiency. I really enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring your ID too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
Bring your ID too!

Unless something is changing this year, no ID is required to register. The only time you'll need your ID for the con is when replacing your badge or wristband (I believe there is also a fee charged).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.