Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Actions and Skills rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilona P.
msg tools
Hi,
yesterday we played the game for the first time and have still some questions:

1. Do all the skills on the skill sheet require an action? Or are some of them passive (which ones?)What about e.g. "Regeneration" or "Taunt"?

2. Can you combine skills like for the Paldin of Fury: "[Shadow Mode] Defense" and "[Shield Bearer] Defense" in one and the same defense turn?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Skills never cost an action unless their text specifically says so. To my knowledge the only skills that have an action cost are Charge, Command, Safe Shot, Teleport, Faith, and Explosion Escape.

2. Yes. You can use as many skills as you meet the requirements for (the text before the colon or in brackets). You may use as many enchantments as you meet the requirements for and have the bams/diamonds to pay for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read the skills descriptions in the book it is very obvious which ones need an action to utilise. Doctor Bandage as mentioned most of them. Yes a lot of them are passive or activate under set criteria such as at the beginning of an activation, or if you are in a shadow zone for instance.

Also attack skills obviously require the correct type of attack to be able to use. So if my skill is Magic **:+2S I'd need to do a "magic attack" (yes this cost a combat action) to utilise this skill, as well as roll 2 bams on the attack dice to trigger it, at which point I could apply two extra wounds to the attack dice result.

* = Bam
S = Sword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:

Also attack skills obviously require the correct type of attack to be able to use. So if my skill is Magic **:+2S I'd need to do a "magic attack" (yes this cost a combat action) to utilise this skill, as well as roll 2 bams on the attack dice to trigger it, at which point I could apply two extra wounds to the attack dice result.

* = Bam
S = Sword.

Pedantic correction: Wounds and Swords (hits) are different. Swords can be countered by shields, Wounds cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilona P.
msg tools
Thanks to all of you!

But I still don´t get how many times you can use a skill...

1. E.g. Paladin of Fury: Can I use the skill "Regeneration 2" 3 times (+ 3 Actions) or only once per round?

2. How many times per round can I use e.g. "Payback 2"? Every time a mob or a roaming Monster attacks?

3. Or another example with the Battle Wizard: When I roll 3 Bams and 1 Diamond, can I use FIREBALL and Life Syphon at the same time?

Sorry for my questions, but I´m not very experienced with dungeon crawlers :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluefant wrote:
1. E.g. Paladin of Fury: Can I use the skill "Regeneration 2" 3 times (+ 3 Actions) or only once per round?

Page 46. EDIT: page 52 in the printed version, 46 in the e-version because the publishers inexplicably left 6 pages out of that version.

bluefant wrote:
2. How many times per round can I use e.g. "Payback 2"? Every time a mob or a roaming Monster attacks?

Page 46. EDIT: 52 (see comment above)

bluefant wrote:
3. Or another example with the Battle Wizard: When I roll 3 Bams and 1 Diamond, can I use FIREBALL and Life Syphon at the same time?

If you have enough Bams/Diamonds to pay for both, then yes. Each Attack enchantment can be activated once per attack unless it has the "Repeat X" qualifier, in which case it can be used X times per attack.

Edit again:

page 53 wrote:
The difference between a Combat Skill and an Enchantment is that Enchantments must be triggered by or symbols obtained on the Actor’s dice (or other Skills). Right after the Combat Type, and before the colon, Enchantments list the type and quantity of symbols that must be spent to trigger its effect. Enchantments can only be triggered once per Combat Action, unless they have the Repeat property...

Apparently there are no Skills, only Enchantments, with the Repeat qualifier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
Quote:

No. page 52, skills: regen. x :at the beginning of the hero's activation, heal x wounds to him. (once)
Quote:

Answer same page. Yes, everytime the hero has more shields in a defending roll he does x damage.

Quote:

I say yes. But in your example (3 B, 1 D) you could even double Fireball + Life Siphon. Life siphon needs one of those bams. Your First Firball 2 bams. Now you can activate Fireball again with the diamond (if skill level 3). But remember that you can activate a skill only once with one kind of crit currency if it doesent say repeat x. (x saying how often you can put crits into it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting a good grasp of pages 52-54 will make deciphering the Skills much easier. Virtually everything about timing, usage, restrictions and effects of every Skill is listed on those three pages.

Read through them, and if there is a section you do not understand, ask about it and we can probably help explain it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Bearhug78 wrote:

* = Bam
S = Sword.

Pedantic correction: Wounds and Swords (hits) are different. Swords can be countered by shields, Wounds cannot.

Agreed, poor language choice.

It can get confusing when people use the wrong word when people are querying how rules work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Scott
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just had my first play through last night and had a question I hope you all could help me with. Skills cost an action as previously mentioned, but "free class skills" on the class sheet are what I have an issue with.

For example, the battle wizard has Teleport 2 as a "free class skill".

Am I right to assume that it has no cost, but can only be used once per turn? It would seem broken to me if a battle wizard could just teleport all over the board for free, as many times as they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delta_flyer21 wrote:
I just had my first play through last night and had a question I hope you all could help me with. Skills cost an action as previously mentioned, but "free class skills" on the class sheet are what I have an issue with.

Am I right to assume that it has no cost, but can only be used once per turn? It would seem broken to me if a battle wizard could just teleport all over the board for free, as many times as they want.

You are wrong. You can use it multiple times per activation, but I think you have forgotten it costs an action to use in this case.

Let's look at the rules entry:

"Teleport X – Spend 1 Action with the Hero. Move up to X Zones as if he had Slippery."

So you are only limited by the number of actions you have.

Note also that some Free Class Skills do come with a limit per Activation. Look at Command for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Scott
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Delta_flyer21 wrote:

You are wrong. You can use it multiple times per activation, but I think you have forgotten it costs an action to use in this case.

Let's look at the rules entry:

"Teleport X – Spend 1 Action with the Hero. Move up to X Zones as if he had Slippery."

So you are only limited by the number of actions you have.

Note also that some Free Class Skills do come with a limit per Activation. Look at Command for example.

Ok, that sounds reasonable. I suppose then by "free" class skill they mean its given freely, but respective to its limitations in the skills outline on page 52.

This is why BGG exists! Thanks a lot. I guess reading a rule bok for a few hours is bound to fatigue the mind😜

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delta_flyer21 wrote:
Ok, that sounds reasonable. I suppose then by "free" class skill they mean its given freely, but respective to its limitations in the skills outline on page 52.

Yes.

Another way to think of it is that every Hero has:
• One free Hero Skill
• One free Shadow Mode Skill
• One free Class Skill
• One Signature Skill which costs 1XP each time and can be used once per activation.
• A lot of Class Line Skills that cost XP to unlock, but can then be used if they are at or below the Current Level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister Swarm
United States
California
flag msg tools
For the bloodmoon assassin skill: Shadow Charge II - it only says +1 Attack Die?!?

Is that a yellow die or a red die? That's a pretty big difference that is not detailed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venoms wrote:
For the bloodmoon assassin skill: Shadow Charge II - it only says +1 Attack Die?!?

Is that a yellow die or a red die? That's a pretty big difference that is not detailed?

It is your choice as long as you honor the 3 dice per color limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister Swarm
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks Carcking! Sounds good!

Do we know if that is documented anywhere or would this be house rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venoms wrote:
Thanks Carcking! Sounds good!

Do we know if that is documented anywhere or would this be house rules?

From page 53 of the rulebook:
+X Attack Dice – Add any combination of X Red and/or Yellow
Attack dice to your roll (up to the limit of 3 dice per type)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.