13 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Enemy with slippery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Etienne BREAUD
France
flag msg tools
Is there any Enemies with skills that allow them to leave a Zone with Heroes invit ? I think the oni has a skill tied to leaving such a Zone, maybe some rattling have slippery too... I do not have the game yet but would love to clear that out. If a monster has slippery what uses could it make of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have seen Enemies that have the Slippery Skill.

Note that with this Skill, they may leave a Hero in their Zone if they can see another Hero that has more unspent XP that they aren't in range of.
They will only make use of Slippery while Counter-Attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think slippery would do a monster much good since their activation order is try to attack, move, try to attack, move. Even if they had slippery, they'd attack the hero in their zone (edit: or in range)?

The only time I see if being useful is during counter attacks. Since the enemy ignores other heroes as targets, it would use slippery to get closer to the hero that attacked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Obolenskiy
Russia
flag msg tools
I don't have the game yet either but my assumption would be that the enemy with Slippery skill will always target the Hero with most XP (or taunt) and ignore any Heroes in its current Zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking through the decks, the only standard Guards with Slippery are the Ratling Warriors.

Looking through the instructions for Enemy Activation, it seems this is indeed absolutely useless during Enemy Phase Activations. For some reason, I thought they'd prefer to leave one set of Heroes to attack another Hero with higher unspent XP, but that is not how the rules read. The first thing they do is only consider the Heroes in their Zone.

So yeah, I guess this only helps with Counter-Attacks. You can't put one Hero in their Zone so that Counter-Attacks against Ranged/Magic Heroes are free. The Ratling Warriors will indeed be able to go after the other Heroes.

Edit: The Roaming Monsters that have Slippery or that move as if they had Slippery sometimes are the Oni and Bloodseeker Minotaur. Both are also Melee-only combatants. The BM has specific timing that makes sense given its card. The Oni is standard Slippery, so it would only be leaving Zones with Heroes during Counter-Attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Diebold
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
So, Enemys doesn't leave a Zone when CounterAttacking? So Ranged heroes are save from melee enemies ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enemies can't leave a zone if another hero is in that zone as well, unless the enemy has Slippery.

If there's another hero in their zone, melee enemies won't be able to reach ranged or magic attackers during their counterattack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Slippery is useful on the enemy activation to either:

a) Melee attack someone in an adjacent tile when they are pinned (slippery out with the first action, and attack on the second)
b) Ranged/magic attack something to which they do not have line of sight or are in range of, but would be on their second turn. (slippery into position with the first action, and attack on the second).

So when you say:

Clipper wrote:
They will only make use of Slippery while Counter-Attacking.

What makes you say this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bone White wrote:

Quote:
So when you say:

[q="Clipper"]They will only make use of Slippery while Counter-Attacking.

What makes you say this?

What I mean is that in a normal activation, they would just attack a Hero in their Zone and won't try to move out, so Slippery cannot take effect.

Only in the Counter-Attack activation would they ever try to leave a Zone that has Heroes in it to get closer to and/or attack a different Hero. This is the meaning of my statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
What I mean is that in a normal activation, they would just attack a Hero in their Zone and won't try to move out, so Slippery cannot take effect.

Is this true? I don't seem to recall any change in the targeting rules just because they have a hero in their zone. If a higher exp hero is in an adjacent zone, and no one has taunt, the slippery melee mob will move into the higher xp zone and hit the higher xp hero, surely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, enemies activate by trying to attack, moving, trying to attack, moving. If they attack at any point, their activation ends.

If there's a hero in their zone and no other valid targets with a ranged or magic attack, they attack the hero in their zone and thus complete their activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ah yes you're right, not sure how I could overlook that, thanks for the correction.

Slippery is now suddenly less terrifying than I had thought it to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can be forgiven for the confusion. I was making the same mistake until I looked at the activation steps again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.