Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of backing OS3, I don't even have the base game, and I see the High Priest expansion is highly recommended. However, from what I can tell, the only thing that's in that expansion is a bunch of different coloured High Priest figures. I was wondering, I think the High Priest rules will be in the hard cover rule book, and we're getting neutral gray acolyte figures for each faction... so... Can I just not buy the High Priest expansion, and just use the new acolyte figures for the High Priests? It would mean I could get something else on the Kickstarter pledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
There are some hints that they'll have their own rules once we unlock them all but other than that I see no problem with you using them as High Priests. You'd just have to pick which ruleset you where using each time.

I definitely recommend getting some Faction Expansions over the High Priests if you have limited funds. While the Priests are nice to have they don't add as much replay value IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What actually comes in the high priest box? The priests and some cards with their rules? I have the old omega rule book and don't recall seeing their rules in it but maybe I missed it. I have units I could placeholder as well..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Their rules are on page 106.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you could sub out the high priests with the grey acolytes - that would save some cash.

The actual models do "pop" much better on the board though. And especially once you are looking at Tcho Tcho's, are going to become a fixture of your game pretty regularly.

I almost always use them now, as a simple interesting extra option.

But you are quite right, there isn't too much to them, so feel free to substitute away. I'd invest in more factions first too. And the plastic gates. The game looks 200% better with those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Placentia
Select state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The actual high priests have larger bases which helps set them apart. Other than that I don't see why you couldn't use the neutral acolytes, or the basic cultists as high priests if you have the faction specific sculpts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The high priests are only $15. The only thing that you can swap them out for in OS3 would be dire Azathoth. Of the two, I'd go for the priests. You'll play with them frequently. But, the rule book will have their rules, so using the neutral grey acolytes will work.

Otherwise, get another faction (opener and/or windwalker being my recommendation). The eldritch gates are also a great addition for feel and theme but don't change the game at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two recommendations for the plastics gates! I totally wasn't expecting that! I don't see any pictures with the plastic gates, so I don't know how they really add that much to the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
MrSumOne wrote:
Two recommendations for the plastics gates! I totally wasn't expecting that! I don't see any pictures with the plastic gates, so I don't know how they really add that much to the game...

The plastic gates are totally worth it. The cardboard gates are very easy to lose sight of on the board, and the gates really make the whole game pop, especially when you consider they are the resource you're mainly fighting over in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSumOne wrote:

This image has the gates shown. They're big 3D gates. I feel pretty me about them until I played with them. Them they became a must.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Norton
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
The Kickstarters... they don't STOP!
badge
Have you Seen it?
mbmbmbmbmb
The High Priest sculpt is not great in my opinion. The anatomy is all out of wack.

And now we will have unique cultist sculpts for all factions... except the high priests will all remain the same. This will further bother me!

I would say proxy the High Priests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SlyMcNasty wrote:
And now we will have unique cultist sculpts for all factions... except the high priests will all remain the same. This will further bother me!

That bothers me, too. It bothers me even more that the Tcho-Tcho have unique sculpts for the high priests. I'm pretty sure that we will see unique high priests for all factions in Onslaught 4 (if it happens), but it would have made much more sense to offer them before the unique acolytes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unsolvable Riddle
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic gates are my #1 upgrade as well. While it's "just" looks it really makes the game a lot more awesome.

High priests are probably the best gameplay upgrade overall (I pretty much always play with them) but your plan of using the acolytes would work just fine. And while I think high priests are the best upgrade overall I'd probably rather get an extra faction first (which one is a tough call though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.