Subject: Impression after two plays (i.e., not a review) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my game yesterday and have had time to play two solo games. Here's my impression.

I really, really enjoy playing this game. This is one of the best first impressions I've had of a game in the year that I've been a very active solo gamer. One of the things I like is that it is counter-intuitive to a gamer that has played many popular deckbuilding games. It's not really a deckbuilding game as much as it is a deck manipulation game.

Favorite things:

- The goal system: You have 3 lvls to defeat. Lvl 1 has one goal, lvl 2 has 2, and lvl 3 has 3. Each goal demands that you figure out how to manipulate the game state without hitting one of 4 End Games states. Thematically, you have to figure out how to do something without getting killed. But where it shines is you have to also figure out to recover and then hit another goal that may be on the opposite end of the spectrum. Also, you don't know future goals until you get to that lvl, so you may have to get a lot of bullets flying at you on one lvl, only to have a goal later that conflicts with that state. The video game itself looks like a combat obstacle course and the card game also is like that.

- The balancing act: You start with a player deck of 8, an obstacle deck of 25 and a 12-card bullet deck. You can never let any of them become empty. Each turn, on average, your player deck either increases or decreases by 1 or 2 cards. Push too hard one direction or the other and you get in trouble. With the bullets, you'd think the goal is to keep them out of the obstacle deck completely. However, many goals demand you take fire, even if you could prevent it. The trick is knowing how many you can have active ("in the air") while still planning for bad turns where several make become active against your wishes. All of it makes for interesting decisions.

My games:

- Game one: In the first lvl, I had a goal that required me to "Knock Out" a certain number of obstacles. Obstacles that you knock out DO NOT enter the player deck. Before I knew it, I had obstacles in play making me draw cards. I was down to 5 cards--4 in my hand--and had to draw 2. That's an instant loss. I realized I had to think harder about how the game worked if I wanted to succeed.

- Game two: I won, but I will say that I played one goal incorrectly. Honestly, I don't think it mattered because I actually made it harder on myself. Regardless, it was FUN. Very engaging. My first goal had me cycling through the obstacles several times until I finally got it right. Lvl 2 and 3 wasvery satisfying as I had to figure out the best order for tackling goals and HOW to tackle them.

Strategy and pace:

- Once I got the rules down well, the game seemed to fly. The amount of thinking required hits a sweet spot for me, much like the game Roll Player. Just the right amount of known vs. unknown info, and even the unknown can be statistically weighed in your head to inform your decisions. Very little setup and upkeep make this a great medium weight game. It's NOT a short game, though, unless things go badly for you. And that keeps it from feeling like a filler--which is what I thought this would be.

Overall:

- I really wanted to play again tonight, but I just bought a new Mansions of Madness DLC that I want to try out. Still, the point is, I really want to play again soon. This game is much better than I expected, and I highly recommend it. You can't beat the price, either. The key is the large number of goals. Every game is going to ask you to do different things, so I anticipate many, many places in my future.
If you are a solo player, this game is a must have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! Glad to finally hear some good stuff about this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had about 5 plays myself, and I fully agree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
cmmayo wrote:
I was down to 5 cards--4 in my hand--and had to draw 2. That's an instant loss.

Correct me if I'm wrong but no it's not. You lose only if you must draw up to four cards but can't because you don't have enough cards.
Here you would simply not draw the remaining card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Somewhere in the Rules sub-forum, Manuel said it would apply any time you're supposed to draw cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's a pretty important contradiction to the written rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Razoupaf wrote:
Well that's a pretty important contradiction to the written rules.

I'm trying to find the thread where I saw that, but now I'm not able to find it.

Edit: I found the ruling. It was stated by Filip, not Manuel:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26468453#26468453

Filipozo wrote:
As rules said - when you can't draw cards and you can creat a new player deck you lose - bullets are not the only threat in tis game

(I'm assuming "can creat" is meant to be "can't create," because the sentence doesn't make sense otherwise.)

I wouldn't call it a contradiction to the written rules, just an omission...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is in the rules.

English rulebook, page 11 wrote:
"If at any moment in the game you need to draw cards and your Player Deck is empty, take and shuffle cards from your Player Discard and create your new Player Deck, and then continue to draw cards."

I thought it was clear but this refers to any moment you would draw cards, not just when you refill your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gr9yfox wrote:
It is in the rules.

"If at any moment in the game you need to draw cards and your Player Deck is empty, take and shuffle cards from your Player Discard and create your new Player Deck, and then continue to draw cards."

I thought it was clear but this refers to any moment you would draw cards, not just when you refill your hand.

The drawing part is clear, but the losing part wasn't

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
gr9yfox wrote:
It is in the rules.

The drawing part is clear, but the losing part wasn't

Oops, I should have quoted the next paragraph as well:

"If at any moment in the game you need to draw cards and your Player Deck is empty, take and shuffle cards from your Player Discard and create your new Player Deck, and then continue to draw cards.

If there are not enough cards to refill your hand up to 4 cards, meaning your Player Deck and your Player Discard are empty and there are no more cards to refill your hand, you have just lost the game!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
"If at any moment in the game you need to draw cards and your Player Deck is empty, take and shuffle cards from your Player Discard and create your new Player Deck, and then continue to draw cards.

If there are not enough cards to refill your hand up to 4 cards, meaning your Player Deck and your Player Discard are empty and there are no more cards to refill your hand, you have just lost the game!"

The gap is because of the phrasing "refill your hand up to 4 cards." If it said "draw cards when you need to," it would cover all situations.
I don't have a problem with the assumption that it is meant to cover all situations, just pointing out the part that I guess could be seen as a "contradiction."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gr9yfox wrote:

That's the confusing part. I've played the game 14 times, reviewed it, proofread and posted the french translation, and not once did I think you'd lose if you should draw a card and can't but have more than 4 cards in hand!

I think you should have made a distinction between drawing to 4 cards, and losing if you must draw but can't. The way I read this sentence, having an empty deck and discard is only lethal if you don't have 4 cards in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
gr9yfox wrote:

That's the confusing part. I've played the game 14 times, reviewed it, proofread and posted the french translation, and not once did I think you'd lose if you should draw a card and can't but have more than 4 cards in hand!

I think you should have made a distinction between drawing to 4 cards, and losing if you must draw but can't. The way I read this sentence, having an empty deck and discard is only lethal if you don't have 4 cards in hand.

Does this make the game any more difficult to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gr9yfox wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
gr9yfox wrote:
[q=English rulebook, page 11]If there are not enough cards to refill your hand up to 4 cards, meaning your Player Deck and your Player Discard are empty and there are no more cards to refill your hand, you have just lost the game!"

You're right, now that you've pointed it out I can see how it can be misunderstood.

The rule is straightforward. If you need to draw cards and there aren't enough in the player deck or discard, it's game over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:

Does this make the game any more difficult to you?

I'm among those who don't find it easy to begin with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.