11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Best Game of Thrones game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scohr Dark
msg tools
mb
I know there are a few card games as well as multiple board games. Which one is considered the best?
Ease of entry for beginners is a bonus, but not a deal breaker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the Geek search results sorted by Geek Rating A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) is what is 'considered the best'.

But then again, Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne is based on Cosmic Encounter which is also Top 100 in the all time list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an irrelevant question - all of them are different types of games with different target groups, so you cannot simply say "this is the best one".

Do you mean for 2 players?
Do you mean best strategy game?
Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
This is an irrelevant question - all of them are different types of games with different target groups, so you cannot simply say "this is the best one".

Etc.

This. Decide on your favorite type of game, then go get "A Game of Thrones: The [that type of game] Game"

Hmmm. Is there a GoT euro....?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Joeyeti wrote:

Etc.

This. Decide on your favorite type of game, then go get "A Game of Thrones: The [that type of game] Game"

Hmmm. Is there a GoT euro....?

Yeah...it's about that farmer that died an episode or two ago.

It's not a very good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:

Etc.

^ Agreed.

They are too diverse, so we really need more info on what it is you are looking for.

My personal favourite is A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition). I've played it with plenty of beginners, but it does require at least one person to know the rules quite well to do so. It really shines with an experienced group though.

It also really needs 5 or 6 players to play well, less creates too many balance issues unless you buy the POD (Print on Demand) expansion that caters for four players only.

This is a strategic and diplomatic area control game. If you aren't looking for direct conflict, back stabbing and diplomacy, you probably won't like this game.

All that said I haven't minded any of the Game of Thrones games to date, but they are all quite different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Ease of entry for beginners, you say? Try A Game of Thrones: Hand of the King. It's over quick and is easy to teach. I like it as a filler with my gamer friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 A Game of Thrones: Hand of the King for a gateway game. It is pretty euro, designed by the genius Bruno Cathala, beautiful art by Mihajlo Dimitrievski.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Slightly different question...

Which of the games best incorporates the GoT IP; which game makes you feel like you really are in that world?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To me A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) really feels evil. It is loosely inspired by the classic friendship destroying game called Diplomacy. There is place for backstabbing, deal making, and king making. Some players are guaranteed to feel bad after the game. After all in Westeros "you win or you die".

But the game does not incorporate any of the non military story. Also it does not incorporate any Dragons or whitewalkers. The game (came out in 2003) was basically based on the early books in the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
It also really needs 5 or 6 players to play well, less creates too many balance issues unless you buy the POD (Print on Demand) expansion that caters for four players only.

It needs 6 to play well. 5 still has a balance issue. I would say getting the expansions gives the games legs as both speed up the game as well. So it is the best, but again, it is heavier and really needs 6 to shine unless the first expansion is involved. As the books get written(shut up) it would be nice if 3 and 5 player expansions were added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.