9 Posts

Kingdom Builder» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can I ignore the printed location tiles on the map? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
Can I ignore them and place any location tile I prefer on a map for the game?

Can I simply place 2 location tiles on a Nomad space and play on as usual?

Will this in any way, "break" the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
If so, why didn't they leave the location tiles blank so players can be free to place whatever location tiles they want to play with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
As Rick indicates in your duplicate post here, by the rules, no, you cannot do this.

As a variant, of course, do what you like. There are a few comments on this over in the variant forum:

Random tiles-Variant
Mixing up locations and boards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Kesavanss wrote:
If so, why didn't they leave the location tiles blank so players can be free to place whatever location tiles they want to play with?

waddball wrote:
In a game obviously designed for variability, I wonder why the special actions are printed on the map instead of leaving those spaces blank and randomly assigning a special action tile to them. As it is, map A will always have Harbor, map B will have Barn, etc. But it could easily have been variable, so map A would one (or two) of the eight, map B one (or two) of the seven remaining, etc.

Not that it's not variable enough (it seems fine), but it just struck me as an obvious way to increase variability, and I wonder why it wasn't used. Are there features of each map that make them "optimized" for their special actions?

Originally the abilities were printed on the boards, as they are now. For a while though I tried a version with abilities dealt out randomly.

The big reason not to for me was that some abilities might care about where they were, or might want more stuff on the board. For example, Harbor wants to be by water, because, you know, it's a Harbor. If Capitol had been in an expansion rather than a promo, the big yellow hexagon showing the area that scores for it could have been printed on the board itself.

The possible additional variability meanwhile did not seem to me to be so important. Varying the scoring methods has a significant effect on the game. Varying the abilities is less significant but still meaningful. Varying the terrain map is nice, but mostly the effect is, it prevents you from learning the board. Varying which maps go with which abilities, I did not see that adding much. You already vary the map and abilities. Sure an Oasis is different if it's by desert or isn't, but it just doesn't amount to much that you weren't already getting.

Having a variety of abilities on each board, rather than two copies of a single ability plus a castle, is something you can do whether you print them on the board or pick them randomly. There the issue is, it makes the game slower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I always play an N-players/N-boards variant when playing 2 or 3 players:

for 2 players use 2 boards
for 3 players use 3 boards
Arrange the boards to make the board the least elongated rectangle possible (connect boards on their long edge).

When I do this, I always randomize all of the location hexes to different ability chips. This way I can have 4 different abilities despite only using 2 boards. I usually keep the cities as cities (but will sometimes mix in the capital) and often keep the nomad locations as nomads, but don't have to.

Definitely does not break the game, makes it better IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Kesavanss wrote:
Can I ignore them and place any location tile I prefer on a map for the game?

Can I simply place 2 location tiles on a Nomad space and play on as usual?

Will this in any way, "break" the game?

If you randomly assign abilities to location spots, it will mildly change how powerful some of the abilities are, but won't break the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonner Purinton
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game Police will not come knocking. As a variant to the printed rules you may rearrange the tokens as you (and all players involved) see fit. For tournament play the rules are usually strictly adhered to. For fun though, the set-up may be adjusted. This also adds to the overall replay value of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play in a closed group you can do all the house ruling you like. However if you play with multiple groups of people or have a large pool of people in your gaming group, it is usually best to stick to the rules as written so that any house rules do not conflict with what other players may already know about a game from playing with different groups/people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
thefishman wrote:
I always play an N-players/N-boards variant when playing 2 or 3 players:

for 2 players use 2 boards
for 3 players use 3 boards
Arrange the boards to make the board the least elongated rectangle possible (connect boards on their long edge).

When I do this, I always randomize all of the location hexes to different ability chips. This way I can have 4 different abilities despite only using 2 boards. I usually keep the cities as cities (but will sometimes mix in the capital) and often keep the nomad locations as nomads, but don't have to.

Definitely does not break the game, makes it better IMO.

I am definitely trying the fewer-boards option the next time I break this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.