Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Renegade» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions / Inquiries about the new Countermeasure cards from Fire & Chaos pack. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compared to the Christmas add-on pack, I really like the Fire & Chaos pack as it add 3 (or nearly 50%) more countermeasures per level, which boost the potential combination exponentially. They also seem more 'complex' compared to the original set. However I've been having some difficulty understanding some of them, or have some concerns regarding the choice of wording.

Quote:
1) Access Denied: Does the 1st part mean to have just 1 data node (port) between Faith #1 through #4, or 1 data node EACH on those partitions? For the 2nd part, which server's #1 through #X is it referring to? (I assume Faith but the wording's really unclear)

2) Hackman: What happens when the Hackman lands on an access point with an existing guardian, or sparks? (Since it suppose to act like a firewall)
p/s: How do you exactly delete a firewall? ^^'

3) Jacob's Ladder: I assume PU means Purple Up? If so the wording seems odd for not using the server's actual name. It could also be worded better since all of them move the sparks up.

4) Simsmudge: "Sparks attack" is a very weird term. I assume it means conduct the SMC revenge step at the end of every End of Turn step, but ignore all mentions concerning guardians in that step? (Ie: Virus don't attack Guardians, they don't delete contaminants/ installations)

The following ones aren't questions but more of concerns on the choice of wordings used on the cards:

Quote:
a) Null & Void: Why separate X & Y when both are the same number? The same goes for the 2nd part regarding deleted sparks & contaminants.

Suggestion:
Goal: Have X contaminants and sparks each on this card (where X > number of renegades).
Name: Any deleted contaminants and sparks are placed on this card.

b) Mirror Map: The phrase "selected servers" seems odd when compared to other countermeasures that have players perform objectives on X no. of servers (ie: the Scrambler countermeasure).

c) Logi SMC: "Instead of rolling for sparks" made me thought that you'd place a spark on each server based on its rules (which didn't make sense). Instead why not use back the "Remove the Partition die" wording from Spider SMC?

Thanks in advance for the replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
The text you saw on the KS update was a little out of date.

After play testing, proofing and edit, they are slightly different

(1) Access Denied now reads, "GOAL: Partitions #1 through #4 on Faith must contain at least one Data Node or Data Port. Partitions #1 through #X on Faith (where X = the number of Renegades) must contain at least two Data Nodes or one Data Node and one Data Port."

So, the first part means each, and the second part is now clear it means Faith also.

(2) Hackman now says, "GOAL: Delete the Hackman.
The Hackman: Stack one Firewall on top of a Replicator wherever and however you find them. While in play, this “Hackman” and all Guardians act as Firewalls. During your Start of Turn Step, the Hackman teleports to your partition and Deletes any Sparks there
."

So, if the Hackman lands on a partition with Sparks, it deletes them. It's impossible for the Hackman to land on a partition with a Guardian. And how to you delete a firewall? I'm not going to spoil it for you.. that's for Renegades to figure out devil

(3) Jacob's Ladder looks like this:

Hopefully this answers

(4) SimSmudge - I hoped this would be clear from the rules, what Sparks attack would mean. It's only sparks, not guardians. But you're right, I've left quite a bit to the players to determine intuitively.

ninja

(a) Null & Void now reads:

"GOAL: Have X Contaminants and also X Sparks on this card (where X is greater than twice the number of Renegades).
Garbage Collection: Place Contaminants Deleted by Sparks or Guardians on this card. Also place Sparks Deleted by Contaminants on this card.
"

(b) re Mirror Map - "selected servers" will be important when you see the reverse of the card. You 'select' the servers only when you determine whether you succeeded or failed.

(c) Logi doesn't use the server OR partition die at all. So, yes, it's the same as saying 'put the dice back in the box'. Unlike Spider, who still rolls the server die. Hopefully LOGI will appeal to players who don't like dice so much.

thank you for your questions! Hopefully these answers clarified. Enjoy!

Ricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG Geek
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

I am still confused by some rules / explanations...

For example:

Access denied:
Why not add the little & imho necessary word "each" here?
(...must contain contain at least each one Data Node...)

In its current wording it could mean also that there has to be in total one Data Node or Data Port on partition 1-4...

The same is true for the second part.

Hackman:
How does it actually really work?
Which version is it?
Every firewall will be topped with a replicator?
or
Every replicator will be topped with a firewall?

What if there are multiple stacks?
Do all of them have to be deleted or just one (as the rule is refering to stackman in singular)?
What will happen with those stacks after this round (if not all could be deleted)?

Maybe this confusion is just derived from the fact that english is not my native language... or I am just getting old.

I actually don't mind my games being like a puzzle, I just don't like the puzzle to start with the rules/manual already.

I understand also that games are sometimes complex monsters of interacting parts and concepts. And that designing them will let you overlook the need for further clarification, when you created and know every corner by heart.

It occurs just too often that rules are open for individual & ambivalent interpretation and BGG or an extensive FAQ has to clarify, if possible, what should have been worded precisely in advance and not found out afterwards on an iPad or PC... which is in a way & imho the almost elusive difference between a great and an elegant design.

Thanks for reading and maybe even considering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clarity could be added, yes. I'll see what I can do....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Ricky!
I think the new cards are not up on tabletop yet so I'll wait to check out the newest version when it's up

bggeek101 wrote:
.... For example:

Access denied:
Why not add the little & imho necessary word "each" here?

In its current wording it could mean also that there has to be in total one Data Node or Data Port on partition...

Hackman:
How does it actually really work?
Every firewall will be topped with a replicator or....

I agree to some extent. The word "each" would really help with clarity (eg:...on Faith must each contain..)

After reading your interpretation of the Hackman I also realise how it could sound vague, particularly the 1st line. From what I understand there's only 1 hackman stack, while all other pieces remain as guardians. I also assume that all pieces are return to the supply when they leave the board unless stated otherwise. "However the wherever & however you find them" could definitely throw people off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the added feedback!

I hope you will be pleased with the final wordings (I managed to intercept the files going to printers and offer a couple of last minute tweaks!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.