Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cpt. America
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can anyone tell me if there is a connection with the base game story where i need to use original characters (a continuation of the base game story), or is it is a totally different story where i have to use the new characters only? Also...do i have to play heart of glorm first before moving to downwood tales? Or can i skip it? Also.....does this expansion use downwood militia characters (i have tail feathers so i can use the minis). And last but not least, can we use abilities, equipment etc from thebase game. Thanx!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Downwood Tales is a continuation of the story that started in the base game (Sorrow and Remembrance) and continued in Heart of Glorm.
So it's still about Prince Collin and the gang, who meet a few new friends along the way.
Sometimes one of the new guys will be mandatory, but most of the time you can just choose whoever you want to play.

Story-wise, it's most fun if you've played Glorm first. However, you don't need to in any way.
Sure there's some references, some important stuff has happened in the meantime, and there's a mouse called Neré who's joined the party and talks during the story segments.
But game-wise, this set only requires components from the base game, not Glorm.

Tail Feathers is a side story that came out after this one, so none of the militia characters are used here.

You can still use almost all abilities and search cards from the base game. In fact, you really should (though the new stuff is awesome too).
There's only a few things that you should remove, like the cat-related stuff, but otherwise it's all usable.

Hope that answers all your questions! And if you can, I'd say go play Glorm first as it also is really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
samruiz123 wrote:
Also.....does this expansion use downwood militia characters (i have tail feathers so i can use the minis).

Mostly no, buuut... if you have the Portents of Importance lost chapter, then you can add the Oak leaf Sigel(spelling) search card to the deck. This allows a mouse to call on the Oakguard to show up and help fight. I believe that lost chapter also has a rule that allows you to play with the Oakguard regularly. It is something like this...

Instead of using 4 mouse heroes, use only 3. Then you can use 3 Oakguard in place of the 4th mouse. You use their initiative card. When one is defeated, you can rescue per normal rules.

I don't know how balanced that is. They can't use ability cards, and I think they only roll 2 dice for bow hits. But, it is 3 attacks instead of 1 and they soak up more damage. Anywhoo, you could play with them even if you didn't have PoP lost chapter and just use a proxy initiative card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What i would like to know is whether or not Mr. Hawthorne plans on continuing or at least concluding the story with future expansions. I remember talking with him a few years ago when downwood tales was released. He said he had no for sure plans at the time. Im not sure if this gane is still popular enough to warrant more content.

I sure as hell hope so bc during our conversation i could see and hear the passion from him and his face was lit up while he was talking about M and M. It would be a shame not to end this story in a way that makes a huge impact!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shooshoo wrote:
What i would like to know is whether or not Mr. Hawthorne plans on continuing or at least concluding the story with future expansions. I remember talking with him a few years ago when downwood tales was released. He said he had no for sure plans at the time. Im not sure if this gane is still popular enough to warrant more content.

I sure as hell hope so bc during our conversation i could see and hear the passion from him and his face was lit up while he was talking about M and M. It would be a shame not to end this story in a way that makes a huge impact!

Apparently we're going to hear some news at, or close to GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.