7 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mandatory skill checks and +card icon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Penny
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I came across this rule query last night and wanted to check if what the BGG crowd thinks.

The rules state that mandatory skill checks require you to draw that fixed amount of cards and that during the Cost step, you may not draw additional cards. But then the Result step says you play play cards from your hand to achieve certain bonuses. Does this mean you can play a card with a plus card (blue) icon to draw extra cards even for a mandatory skill check? Or do those cards only let you pick additional cards after seeing the result for a non-mandatory check?

I think the answer is yes because on the last page of the rulebook, the icon table says this next to the mandatory skill check icon: "Players may not alter the default cost of the action... unless they use the effects of cards from their hands and / or inventories".

Perhaps a dumb question but makes a big difference for the black box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so you mean cards like Give your all from the Advanced Skills? It seems Keelan also has a card with the same effect too...

If so, the cards in question state:

"You may discard this during the Result step of an action you are involved in, in order to apply the following effect: (+5) Draw 5 additional cards, adding their successes to your total."

I would agree with you that the rules do not disallow use of these cards. The rule is that you don't voluntarily choose to draw more cards prior to drawing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Penny
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Yes, "give it all" is exactly what I am thinking. + 5 cards to a mandatory check makes a huge difference (but obviously at a big cost)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Sautter
France
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drake_NZ wrote:
I came across this rule query last night and wanted to check if what the BGG crowd thinks.

The rules state that mandatory skill checks require you to draw that fixed amount of cards and that during the Cost step, you may not draw additional cards. But then the Result step says you play play cards from your hand to achieve certain bonuses. Does this mean you can play a card with a plus card (blue) icon to draw extra cards even for a mandatory skill check? Or do those cards only let you pick additional cards after seeing the result for a non-mandatory check?

I think the answer is yes because on the last page of the rulebook, the icon table says this next to the mandatory skill check icon: "Players may not alter the default cost of the action... unless they use the effects of cards from their hands and / or inventories".

Perhaps a dumb question but makes a big difference for the black box

Hi,
The answer is yes. You can use cards such as Keelan's "Where there’s a will, there’s a way" to draw more cards, even if the action is locked.
Bruno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Australia
Brisbane/Gold Coast
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drake_NZ wrote:
The rules state that mandatory skill checks require you to draw that fixed amount of cards and that during the Cost step, you may not draw additional cards.

You're not confusing Mandatory skill checks with the cost padlock icon are you?

I'm pretty sure you can draw additional cards to resolve a mandatory check if required - unless it has the padlock icon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ppofandt wrote:
Drake_NZ wrote:
The rules state that mandatory skill checks require you to draw that fixed amount of cards and that during the Cost step, you may not draw additional cards.

You're not confusing Mandatory skill checks with the cost padlock icon are you?

I'm pretty sure you can draw additional cards to resolve a mandatory check if required - unless it has the padlock icon.

Padlocked icon checks can be altered by cards and items so for instance during "check the notes resolution 1draw/1star " my character had a card in had that allows me to minus a card draw which makes it free. A padlock just means you can't alter the pick up/required stars by

1 having multiple characters perform said task or

2 by simply deciding to draw more cards (as that's an illegal action I this case)

In normal circumstances this is fine mandatory or not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Penny
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Apologies - yes I meant padlocked skill checks, my bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.