Subject: Stripey Hole Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does CT work like other COIN games in that an Event's text must be fully carried out if possible?

Take "Stripey Hole," for example. The Government activates all Guerrillas in one Sector and sets the Sector to Oppose. Must the Government choose a Sector not already at Oppose if possible so that they can "set" it to Opppse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you might be reading a bit much into that phrase in 5.1.3; also note the second phrase, "If not all of its text can be carried out, implement that which can".
Government (or rather, whoever implements the unshaded text) must first of all select a Sector.
There is no requirement to pick a Sector that has the most Guerrillas in it, no more than there is a requirement to pick a Sector that is not at Oppose.
If there were, I would have written an explicit direction to do so (example: Elections, set 1 non-Terrorized Neutral space to Support).
Conceivably Government could have selected a Sector with no Guerrillas that was already at Oppose, and implemented the text to the extent possible (though in the end nothing would have happened).
Maybe that's a bit cheesy, but like Velveeta, it's legally cheesy.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense. My question actually arises from the Liberty or Death forums (I think, maybe FitL) where the approach taken is that you must implement the entire Event if possible. So, you would have to choose a space where you can both activate Guerrillas and set to Opposition. I definitely prefer your interpretation. Makes way more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks.

I will bear that in mind if I ever have occasion to make you a grilled sandwich.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:

Thanks.

I will bear that in mind if I ever have occasion to make you a grilled sandwich.

Brian

I'm clearly missing something here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah; a nice hot sandwich!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
I think you might be reading a bit much into that phrase in 5.1.3; also note the second phrase, "If not all of its text can be carried out, implement that which can".
Government (or rather, whoever implements the unshaded text) must first of all select a Sector.
There is no requirement to pick a Sector that has the most Guerrillas in it, no more than there is a requirement to pick a Sector that is not at Oppose.

Um... Brian?

In the earlier COIN games Volko has repeatedly stated that 5.1.3's "An executed Event’s text that can be implemented must be." does imply that the executing Faction must do its utmost to select spaces where the entire Event text can be executed, e.g. in this post. I don't quite see how adding an extra "implemented" at the end of the sentence like CT does would remove that implication...

Quote:
If there were, I would have written an explicit direction to do so (example: Elections, set 1 non-Terrorized Neutral space to Support).
Conceivably Government could have selected a Sector with no Guerrillas that was already at Oppose, and implemented the text to the extent possible (though in the end nothing would have happened).

That's not the same - at least not the way Volko reads 5.1.3. If you include this kind of explicit directions regarding where the Event may be executed, it cannot be executed at all in other spaces. E.g., the set-to-Support part of "Elections" can only be executed in a non-Terrorized Neutral space; you're not allowed to use it to set an Opposition space to Support just because all Neutral spaces happen to be Terrorized.

With Volko's reading of 5.1.3 OTOH, unshaded "Stripey Hole" can be executed in an Opposition Sector - but only if there are no non-Opposition Sectors with Guerrillas that can be Activated. (Also note that unshaded "Stripey Hole" doesn't specify that the Guerrillas have to be Underground, so per the NOTE in 1.4.3 the Event text can be fully satisfied by re-Activating Guerrillas that are already Active... that could come as a nasty surprise for the Government if there are any Active Guerrillas in a high-Population Support Sector!)

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.