Mage Knight Board Game: Shades of Tezla Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Life and Death - Faction Leader Combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Pisz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
If I do a combat with a faction leader, and manage to take out a number of enemies, but do no damage to the leader, do I have to combat those same enemies again next assault? i.e Do they keep "respawning" unless I lower his level?

If I do lower his level, do new enemies "spawn" according to his new level ignoring those that I killed? Or do you only have to content with the original enemies that came with the leader's original level?

Also, if you do range or siege damage to him, do you ignore his attack for that assault as if he were dead, even if that siege or ranged damage was not enough to decrease his level all the way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

The other enemies are not replaced, and are not re-assigned if Avatar level changes either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Berzé la ville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleshbits wrote:
Also, if you do range or siege damage to him, do you ignore his attack for that assault as if he were dead, even if that siege or ranged damage was not enough to decrease his level all the way?

No, he attacks you with the lvl he had when you assaulted him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Colombo
Italy
San Giorgio su Legnano
Italia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The combat vs the Faction Leader is very hard, and is very confusion for the fist-time (due to the fact that the rulebook is not so well written here i think, i know that every important information is there but some more example would have been nice).

As said above the Leader bring his army stated by the chosen STARTING level as soon as you reveal the tile where the Faction leader is (this tokens are placed faced down where the Faction leader is, normally on the Necropolis but this depend on the scenario). After that, just ignore all the Token on the faction leader (cause is no longer an important information, treat as all that token are now blank), except for his attack (see level 4, where he perform a summon attack of 2 green enemy).

Every time you him in ANY attack fase (treat the armor value stated as the armor of a normal token enemy, you have to generate that amount of attack to successfully "damage him". You can damage the faction leader multiple time in a single attack by doubling the value of his armor whit your attack(es: 4 armor -> 8 attack = 2 "damage" on the token), for each damage he takes, put a shield token on the current level (and so on counting down).

The faction attack in the same spot as the other normal enemy, so you can use Block against him, but he strikes for the current level regardless of the damage he taken this turn, in fact, only at the end of the fight, you should lower the Level marker token on the faction leader, according to how much was damaged (see the number where the lower marker is) and this will be the attack value for the NEXT engage (it is impossible to bring him down in 1 attack).

If the Faction leader is not dead, that space is not a safe spot so you have to retreat.

Sooo hard, you have to take him down in 2/3 turn with a good draw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
LaTigre wrote:
(it is impossible to bring him down in 1 attack).

I don't understand why you included this. It is possible to to bring down an Avatar in 1 attack, and is often optimal to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
LaTigre wrote:

I don't understand why you included this. It is possible to to bring down an Avatar in 1 attack, and is often optimal to do so.

I just did my first play through solo and got whooped. Solo the avatars start at level 6. I think you'd be hard pressed to take out an avatar at this level vs. co-op or competitive which is level 2? I think?

I guess it's probably possible, but extremely unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
Benkyo wrote:
LaTigre wrote:

I just did my first play through solo and got whooped. Solo the avatars start at level 6. I think you'd be hard pressed to take out an avatar at this level vs. co-op or competitive which is level 2? I think?

Well, I've done it before and more than once, so I'd say it's not that unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
lukeheineman99 wrote:
Benkyo wrote:
LaTigre wrote:

so is there a decisive answer on this?
Also, let's say a leader is level 6 with 4 armor and no resistances.
Level 5 and 4 are the same, level 3 is 3 armor with physical resist, level 2 is 4 armor with physical resist, and level 1 is 5 armor with physical resist.
If I deal 24 damage to him all in the same turn while he is still level 6, does this kill him?
Or do I deal 4 damage then treat him as level 5, deal 4 damage and 4 more damage to get him to 3. Does he now have physical resistance for that level?
Or can i just hit him for a 24 damage at level 6 to kill him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zb1035 wrote:
If I deal 24 damage to him all in the same turn while he is still level 6, does this kill him?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Benkyo wrote:
zb1035 wrote:

Yes.

thank you Ben!!
And it seems the consensus is any remaining units just go away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right, but I'm not that keen on the rule. I think that a house rule requiring defeat of the minions in addition to (or before) defeating the leader can make for a more interesting resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Benkyo wrote:
That's right, but I'm not that keen on the rule. I think that a house rule requiring defeat of the minions in addition to (or before) defeating the leader can make for a more interesting resolution.

shh, if that was the case then I'd have a super close defeat instead of a stunning victory
Thank you. I understand both sides and it's a bummer that we have not received clarification from the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zb1035 wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

shh, if that was the case then I'd have a super close defeat instead of a stunning victory
Thank you. I understand both sides and it's a bummer that we have not received clarification from the designer.

I thought we had. I'm pretty sure the official word is that the minions disappear, which is why I said the alternative is a house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Benkyo wrote:
zb1035 wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

I thought we had. I'm pretty sure the official word is that the minions disappear, which is why I said the alternative is a house rule.

ah I did not realize. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dancing star
Vietnam
Hồ Chí Minh City
flag msg tools
What if I cannot add enemy to the faction leader's army when I first reveal the location since those enemies were all spawned on the map, should I fight the leader without that specific enemies ?

Or I choose not to place enemies on that location so I can add them to faction leader's army ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clinkz wrote:
What if I cannot add enemy to the faction leader's army when I first reveal the location since those enemies were all spawned on the map, should I fight the leader without that specific enemies ?

Or I choose not to place enemies on that location so I can add them to faction leader's army ?

You can either put the tokens for the leader aside at the beginning of the game or draw them once his location is revealed or once you would need to reveal the tokens.

No matter what you decide, if there are nor more tokens, you first form a new pile from the discards. Then, if all tokens are in play, you draw from the normal game piles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook Page 2 wrote:
Running out of Faction Enemy Tokens
If at any point all of a faction’s enemy tokens of a certain color are in use then instead use regular ones of the same color. For that scenario they count as if they were of the relevant faction but do not award a faction token when defeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.