Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Pendleton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

I played this game for the first time last night. I got utterly destroyed. Is this normal? I'm guessing so.

I did get some of the rules wrong, which played into my destruction. When questing, I drew cards for all engaged characters instead of per player. I kept getting the terms hero, character, and player mixed up. Regardless, I watched some videos last night and have a much better understanding.

So, my question ...

I see lots of posts about Leadership and Lore decks from the core used in the quests in the core. However, I rarely see posts about the Martial deck. Is there a reason for that? Is the Tactics deck considered weak? I love the theme and art of the Tactics deck (so far).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactics deck is very weak for solo play.

Check the forums for the Back to Basics Killer Deck. Play with that and the game will be much easier. I just started this game and have easily beat the first scenario 3 times. If you sort the forums by "top" this deck will be the top forum post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pendleton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Zac!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend trying it, but you will soon see why. There is almost no willpower in the deck, so actually working through the questions is almost impossible.

Things do improve as you add expansions in though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
Pen242 wrote:
I see lots of posts about Leadership and Lore decks from the core used in the quests in the core. However, I rarely see posts about the Martial deck. Is there a reason for that? Is the Tactics deck considered weak? I love the theme and art of the Tactics deck (so far).

Thanks!

Tactics deck is weak at directly questing, very strong at fighting. This is a problem with location-heavy scenarios.

For the first scenario (Passage Through Mirkwood), Leadership is probably the best core mono sphere deck to play first, followed by Spirit, then Lore, then Tactics last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactics deck is very weak for questing, but great for combat.

I second Zac's suggestion to start with https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1108855/back-basics-killer-... that deck. It's a great all-around core deck, and then you can tweak it once you're more familiar with the game and pick up expansions. I've had fun using it from core all the way through most of the Dwarrowdelf cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pen242 wrote:
When questing, I drew cards for all engaged characters instead of per player.

Ouch, yeah, that will do it!

The core tactics deck only works solo if you happen to draw lots of enemies since killing things with legolas is the most reliable way it can make progress. I've beaten the first quest before using it, but I think it was more luck than skill for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Faris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I just got this game too and I love it. But like yourself, I have been getting wrecked. I haven't made it through the first quest card in the first quest (Passage through Mirkwood) which is embarrassing I feel like.

One thing I've noticed is that using the pre-made core decks, while helpful in getting to know the spheres, isn't ideal when attempting to beat quests. You'll want to mix spheres to make a more powerful deck. Checking the resources other players have listed in this thread, or even checking out this site will help: http://ringsdb.com/

As for myself, is there hope? I don't know. But I love the game even if I'm not good at it. I noticed a rule in the back of the rule book called "Basic Game." Essentially, you don't use the "deal a shadow card" mechanic when battling. I think I'll have to use this version of the game until I get better at playing.

Good luck to you!... And me hopefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactics deck is fine *if* it is played alongside another deck. If you have two players or are playing two-handed solo, there's no issue with playing the starter tactics deck.

All four of the starter decks are mostly useful for getting to know the cards. Once you start deckbuilding, it will be a few cycles before you will want to construct monosphere decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
Donkler wrote:
Pen242 wrote:
When questing, I drew cards for all engaged characters instead of per player.

Ouch, yeah, that will do it!

The core tactics deck only works solo if you happen to draw lots of enemies since killing things with legolas is the most reliable way it can make progress. I've beaten the first quest before using it, but I think it was more luck than skill for sure.

Yes, that's how it works, it does depend on drawing more enemies than locations. This is why "easy" mode is harder for pure tactics, it removes too many enemies. It does take some considerable skill though, don't sell it short!

I found Lore quite difficult as a mono deck, probably due to being unlucky the first few times I played it, drawing almost all enemies and few locations. Funny how that goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the above.
Another resource worth it's weight in palantirs is Beorn's Path
https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nicol
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my opinion one of the shortcomings of the rule book is that it does not warn players that the starter "decks" included in the core set are really just a mish mash of cards that are grouped together by virtue of belonging to the same sphere of influence.

Further, the rule book could warn players that the Tactics deck played by itself may struggle to win against even the easiest scenario, due to its willpower deficit. In many Fantasy games the warrior/fighter class is a good all rounder, so it is what new players reach for first - I certainly did.

Part of the problem, I think, is that when Nate French designed the game he didn't anticipate how many people would be playing solo (Escape from Dol Guldur makes this obvious). I suspect he imagined that there would be two or more players, and if one player chose the Tactics deck then the other players could balance things out by choosing questing decks.

It is very useful to play each of the starter decks a few times to familiarise yourself with the strengths and weaknesses of each sphere, but to make progress in the game you will need to start building custom decks, probably using cards from two or more spheres.

P.S. Welcome to the game! If you have any rules questions, people here are always happy to help out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SheriffShaq wrote:
Essentially, you don't use the "deal a shadow card" mechanic when battling. I think I'll have to use this version of the game until I get better at playing.

That's exactly what I did when I started until I got better at the game. And then you'll learn that dealing shadow cards can be a good thing too, like when that second Hill Troll shows up as one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.