Can you give some thematic examples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hirsch
msg tools
mb
You know how like in nearly every episode of Star Trek where they arrive at a planet and there is a problem the crew has to solve or the ship is destroyed? Its that.

Automated defense satellites, alien viruses, time warps, alien vampires, asteroids, high levels of radiation, unstable wormholes, little kids pretending to be Greek gods, space bugs, and so on and so on... space cowboys, space nazis, space cavemen...all of these things you can imagine as a space hazard in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reezark_SP wrote:
You know how like in nearly every episode of Star Trek where they arrive at a planet and there is a problem the crew has to solve or the ship is destroyed? Its that.

Automated defense satellites, alien viruses, time warps, alien vampires, asteroids, high levels of radiation, unstable wormholes, little kids pretending to be Greek gods, space bugs, and so on and so on... space cowboys, space nazis, space cavemen...all of these things you can imagine as a space hazard in the game.

Those are the hazard exploration cards that you only deal with once (for most cards).

I think the OP is thinking more of the hazards that you have to brave each time a ship enters the system. Those would be things like tears in subspace, unusually large asteroid fields, excessive radiation from the sun etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I was thinking about hazards that are printed on the planet itself. You deal with them even after system is fully explored and civilized. They don't go away so I imagine them as some kind of environmental dangers.

It's easy to imagine hazards on the planet surface (extreme temperature, acid rain, poisonous atmosphere, devastating storms, unknown viruses, lethal predators), but I have a hard time imagining problems on the orbit other than radiation or asteroids. And there are plenty of hazardous systems out there.

Thanks for answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Parker
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
Cestus III is a planetary Hazard.

Control of Cestus III is contested by the Gorn in the Original series episode Arena.

Exo III has a hostile android named Ruk lurking around. He killed a lot of Federation folks. TOS: What Are Little Girls Made Of

Excalbia has a poisonous atmosphere. TOS The Savage Curtain.

Tau Cigna V is awash in hyperonic radiation and fatal to human life, and the planet is owned by the Sheliak Corporate who are willing to exterminate all human life on it before they colonize it themselves. TNG: The Ensigns of Command

Rura Penthe is an frozen planet used by the Klingons as a gulag. "There is no stockade. There is no guard tower. No electronic frontier. Only a magnetic shield prevents beaming. On the surface nothing can survive." Star Trek VI

Janus VI: The last surviving member of a species called the Horta killed dozens of Vanderberg's miners after they killed thousands of her eggs.
TOS: Devil In The Dark

Planetary hazards represent surface hazards experienced by inhabitants or landing parties. Some are more dangerous than others.

Edit: Sorry. I started writing this before your last post. When I posted, you had already responded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hirsch
msg tools
mb
DrewDecimal wrote:
Reezark_SP wrote:

Those are the hazard exploration cards that you only deal with once (for most cards).

I think the OP is thinking more of the hazards that you have to brave each time a ship enters the system. Those would be things like tears in subspace, unusually large asteroid fields, excessive radiation from the sun etc.

What I was getting at was the planetary hazard can be whatever you can imagine it to be. Yes, many situations are better detailed on the Exploration cards, but also its easy to imagine the die roll you make for hazards isn't also a misadventure for the crew of the arriving ship as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always imagined they represented smaller hazardous phenomena that had to be passed by on the way into the system. Gravimetric distortions and pockets of ionized gas and everything else that makes everybody fall out of their chairs when the Enterprise bumps into one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I've just found out descriptions of planets from the upcoming expansions. Look at this example. This is amazing!

Quote:

Sigma Draconis is a world locked in millennia-long ice age. Once home to an advanced civilization, the ecological shift divided the surviving population into two separate, gender-based groups. The male population, known as the Morgs, eek out a meager existence on the surface, while the female population, known as the Eymorgs, live in an underground city under the protection of a supercomputer known as the Controller. Despite these harsh conditions, for the civilization that can reclaim this world, there is a wealth of forgotten knowledge and resources to be found.

So cool! This text should be printed on the back side of the system just for the sake of flavour win (we could draw new systems from the bottom of the stack to avoid peeking).

Link: http://startrek.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/131/carda...

Do we have similar descriptions for the planets from the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:

Do we have similar descriptions for the planets from the base game?

I don't think we do, at least not from GF9, but Memory Alpha has descriptions for, or at least some information on, basically all of them.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Planets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Hahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you really wanted, you could check up on every planet - they all are of some significance in the shows.

I did that anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.