Memoir '44» Forums » General

Subject: New to the game - which pack/upgrade to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Kaiser
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dear all, for a long time I am looking for a good war game. Just because of the recent DiceTower review a stumbled over Memoir (I know shame on me, I should know this game already).

Anyhow; what package/upgrade should I buy to get started? Is there a recent "deluxe" edition with some combined expansions?

Thank you!

p.s. how easy is it to convince non-ww2-interested players in joining a game session?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no deluxe editions.

Start with the base game, obviously. Probably what you'll want next is one or more of the theater packs: Memoir '44: Eastern Front, Memoir '44: Mediterranean Theater, or Memoir '44: Pacific Theater.

Memoir is quite easy to teach, and is a good gateway game. So, if players are at least somewhat interested in wargames, this might be a good choice.

Also, there's an online version where you can play scenarios with others remotely: https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44-online/en/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barandum wrote:
p.s. how easy is it to convince non-ww2-interested players in joining a game session?

I am not a war gamer. In fact I actively dislike war games. But I really enjoy Memoir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! Is a great game and you won't be sorry. Easy to teach and learn, and is the only war-game I've found non-wargame people to be interested in (simple, fast, little toy soldiers, etc.). Kids can play, too.

Been awhile, but I think I went about it this way:

1. Bought the base set and played through all of the scenarios.
2. Bought a second base set, but can't remember why (maybe for Overlord?)
3. Then I went with Eastern, Mediterranean, Pacific, in that order.
4. Then I bought the equipment pack and I think a terrain pack (or something like that).
5. Then I bought the scenario books.

This was over the course of a couple of years, I think.

Since I played most games against new players, I ended up playing the base set and Mediterranean the most.

I eventually quit playing the board game and played online, which is a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kaiser
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great! Thank you for your fast reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter which one / what order... buy them all!

And once you have digested the basic game, it really shines with multiple players. I've played an enjoyed everything from 2 to 8 players.

- C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've done a document several years ago that show what each expansion adds to the game. I've updated it as new expansions have come out. Maybe this will help you. https://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/vn2sgguhl2/M44_Expan...

I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Break through really changes the feel of the game. I think I bought it near last, but it is great. Gives more of an epic battle feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the base game, of course, and see if you enjoy it. Memoir '44 is pretty cool, but doesn't appeal to everyone.

If you do enjoy the game, then the next step depends on what exactly you like about it. Most of the theater expansions are very good - giving you more units, more missions, and some rule variations. The breakthrough and overlord expansions are also very cool and change the game in interesting ways by making the map size very different.

Personally, I liked the basic gameplay well enough but found the lack of a campaign mode disappointing - especially because most of the scenarios aren't very well balanced. So the "best" expansions in my opinion are Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 1 (hard to find and often expensive, although an official PDF version is available) and Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 2. To use those campaign books, you really need at least one of the extra theater packs, and sometimes more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thinking Memoir 44 is the easiest wargame to get friends playing, I've had good success with this.

I buy lots of expansions for games, but with Memoir 44 I actually PLAY the expansions! Because of this, I reccomend buying any expansions in stock (and include the strategy and tactics guide it's so good!)

This might sound like hyperbole, it's not. It's a great game, its approachable, all the expansions are great and Breakthrough (which is my favorite) nessesitates many of the other expansions. Also there are so many fan created scenarios that are FANtastic! And the more expansions you have, the more of these you'll be able to play.

The expansions come and and out of stock with their print runs so a given expansion may be quite difficult to get for a year or so until a reprint happens.

Memoir 44 is such a good investment, I know I'll still be playing it a decade from now, if not the rest of my life! Seriously, friends with whom I play M44, we just keep playing. I could go on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and I got interest in M44 because I was looking for something with any kind of feel like warhammer 40k, I felt iffy about WWII but the game is so darn good I was instantly hooked. Likely the best game investment I've ever made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kaiser
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, alot of praise for this game! I guess some recent kickstarter game whish to be still be around played in a years time :o)

Why is the Air pack not available any longer? Reads like a fun addition with planes and aircraft carriers, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Nieuwenhuis
Netherlands
Epe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand:

From the players side: many players do enjoy the Airpack, but a great many of them find it complicates the simple rules too much. Also where the original game scale up and down really well (a unit meaning sometimes a unit sometimes a whole division etc) this works less well for the airplanes.
Also keeping them in the air can e a hassle.

From the manufacturing side: the Airpack was to costly and fiddly to reprint. Also because of the mixed reception by the players I would think it would not sell well. (Yes I know there are some of you out there that would pay an arm and a leg for it! )

But if you want to play Airpack, buy the PDF guide from the DoW website and order some planes from another source and fly away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard rumors recently that they are planning to reprint a "revised" Air Pack in the near future.

Don't go out of your way to buy that expansion right now. You are almost certainly better off waiting a bit to see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kaiser
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ok, I think I will start with the base set and take it from there. The Overload expansion is likely to in focus when we consider a 6-8 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who didn't like the rules in the airpack, may I offer an alternative? I wrote my own rules available here; https://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/suwsfoi5z5/Air_Rules...

Download them and check them out. Also you could get 1:144 scale airplanes and use those with these rules. These rules allow ground units and Anti-Air artillery to shoot at air units, and bombing of road and rail to slow down units reaching the "front". Also air units aren't confined to moving only one more hex than armor (35mph armor to 200-300 mph airplane, go figure!). If fact, because air units move so fast, they are only onboard in the turn they make their attack. A Sherman tank has a top speed of 30 mph on the road vs a P-40 top speed of 366 mph, so why would an air unit be able to only move 4 hexes? It would fly through our little section of the battlefield in less time than one combat turn and be turning around for another pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.