Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Clark
United States
Vicksburg
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
I lose to my wife while she shops on her phone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about picking this up. It is longer and heavier than any game I currently own, and I worry about having opportunities to play it because of the playtime. Could it easily be played in more than one sitting? Could my wife and I play for an hour and a half one night, leave it set up, and finish it a night or two later, or would that kill the experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FxO ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play online with friends and sometimes we take weeks to finish one game. As long as you leave the game on the table you should be fine. Just take notes of what would you do next when it's your turn because you might forget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgclark29 wrote:
Thinking about picking this up. It is longer and heavier than any game I currently own, and I worry about having opportunities to play it because of the playtime. Could it easily be played in more than one sitting? Could my wife and I play for an hour and a half one night, leave it set up, and finish it a night or two later, or would that kill the experience?

The main issues I can see are remembering what cards your opponent picked up but hasn't played yet and what cards you seeded the future events deck with. Other than that it can certainly be played over 2 or even 3 sittings if needed and is still lots of fun if you enjoy this type of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I've sat down to solo it a few times (two-handed) and it's very easy to take a break between turns.

The only thing to really watch out for is when you refill the card row. That happens as the very first step of a player's turn. So either refill then take a break (and remember that you've already done that step) or break, then refill the row when you sit down again. I prefer refilling before I take a break so that I can see what I'll have to work with later.

Edit: YP raises a few other valid points. But they'll likely be less important during your first few plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FxO ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
The main issues I can see are remembering what cards your opponent picked up but hasn't played yet

But aren't all cards public information? Aside from the military ones (like events, agression, etc)

edit: quoted the wrong user.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I you should play with visible hand of civil cards (a lot of people play this way anyway).

Personally I very often play in two parts, interrupting between two ages for dinner, and recovering after the dinner.

It is very easy to interrupt and restart, I would not advise to do a break of a week, else you might forget what was your plan, but a few days should be OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyvsmonkey wrote:
mgclark29 wrote:
The main issues I can see are remembering what cards your opponent picked up but hasn't played yet

But aren't all cards public information? Aside from the military ones (like events, agression, etc)

The rule book leaves it up to the players' discretion if they want to play with hands open or closed. There is no "right" way. I definitely prefer playing with open hands, and if the game will be broken up over multiple sessions that is practically a must.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyvsmonkey wrote:
mgclark29 wrote:

Oops, are they? Is it stated either way in the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis C
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If it's two players, once you're both pretty familiar with the game you should be able to knock it out in a couple hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
monkeyvsmonkey wrote:
mgclark29 wrote:

If (civil) cards in the hand are hidden, they are hidden but trackable information. I can definitely see why people would want to play with open hands; the main reason not to would be convenience (as open hands make it hard to differentiate with what's in hand vs. what's in the tableau.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

If (civil) cards in the hand are hidden, they are hidden but trackable information. I can definitely see why people would want to play with open hands; the main reason not to would be convenience (as open hands make it hard to differentiate with what's in hand vs. what's in the tableau.)

Indeed, you must have a specific dedicated area, in our case, the area below the tableau is reserved for our hand (we partially slide the cards under our tableau if the table is too small)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Soderhus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtime after a handful of plays = 2-2,5 h for two persons, just so you know.
Like Frank said: make some notes before you leave. If so, you can take a break for days or perhaps even weeks. (More so if you allow cards to be open info. Because they really are. Paul Grogan said it - its not a game about memory, but of strategy.)

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
mgclark29 wrote:

Yes, it is pretty simple; you can also insert all the components in the box - there are a lot of space. My suggestion is to take pictures of all the boards (personal and common ones) and then put all the components and cards of a player in one single box compartment (one for each player). In another compartments you can put the cards of the row and the played tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
warren maruschak
Canada
winnipeg
manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you could split it into multiple sessions. I've never done that as it has never taken us more than 3.5 hours to finish a four player game and that includes setup and tear down, and even less time with less players. It has never taken more than 90 minutes for any two player games I've played either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FxO ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
monkeyvsmonkey wrote:
mgclark29 wrote:

The rule book leaves it up to the players' discretion if they want to play with hands open or closed. There is no "right" way. I definitely prefer playing with open hands, and if the game will be broken up over multiple sessions that is practically a must.

Never notice this in the rulebook. But since I mainly play online these days and and civil cards are always open I thought it was the "right" rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FxO ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
monkeyvsmonkey wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

Page 7 of the "Code of Laws" book.

Since I mostly play online I've always assumed it was mandatory to be public. Next time I put this game on the table I might try the hidden way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've already played it 5 times with my son and daughter... and we always played in two or three sessions in different days. No problem with this.... Actually, in between two sessions I frequently made short stops in front of the game, to think about possible future strategy...

By the way, I strongly recommend you to follow the rules on how to play the first game. It works very well and avoid be overwhelmed in your first game. However, you should carefully read before the instructions before explaining it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FxO ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edugon wrote:
By the way, I strongly recommend you to follow the rules on how to play the first game. It works very well and avoid be overwhelmed in your first game. However, you should carefully read before the instructions before explaining it.

Also if you want someone to teach you the game, you must watch Paul Grogan's 2-part explanation.

Part 1 / Part 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.