BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » New Zealand

Subject: Another NZ Math Trade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Warmwater
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hi everybody.

It's been a while since the last Math Trade so I thought I'd gauge what interest there is.

I'm back into a position where I can commit to hosting a Math Trade (at the moment anyway).

If I do, I'll allow cash listings this time (there's a demand for them so I figure we can have one of these types of trades every now and again). We'll also try again to use the OLWLG although the old system will always be there as a backup.

Update: The Math Trade is now live. Click here to start adding items

If you can, please publicize this in your local gamegroup / on Facebook etc as the more people we get, the better these Math Trades tend to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always keen for a math trade, but would prefer to keep it to just swaps. There are other ways to get cash for your games if you want to sell them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Warmwater
New Zealand
flag msg tools
That's my opinion as well although I was under the impression that a large percentage of people were interested in cash listings.

Everyone else - let me know what you think.

If there's a clear preference, we can go with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keaton
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always keen on a maths trade.

I'm not bothered either way on the cash front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Keatus wrote:
Always keen on a maths trade.

I'm not bothered either way on the cash front.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ry Scales
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keen for trade
Dont care bout cash too much. However if too many are cash then maybe next year have a cash trade and a non cash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question: will this trade allow expansions and accessories?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Warmwater
New Zealand
flag msg tools
terrangray wrote:
Keen for trade
Dont care bout cash too much. However if too many are cash then maybe next year have a cash trade and a non cash

Yeah - I figured allowing cash listings in every second Math trade was reasonable - and cash listings were excluded from the last Math trade.

coltbeatsall wrote:
I have a question: will this trade allow expansions and accessories?

I was thinking of doing the same as last time - to allow anything with a boardgamegeek page + cash listings (if there is a demand for them to be included).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Including cash is ok with me. It may increase the fluidity of the trading and allow more games to trade (just speculative).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm keen, and cannot understand why anybody would have a problem with cash options - it increases the size of trade-loop space, and means more people get more stuff that they wanted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Warmwater
New Zealand
flag msg tools
KAndrw wrote:
I'm keen, and cannot understand why anybody would have a problem with cash options - it increases the size of trade-loop space, and means more people get more stuff that they wanted!

Allowing cash transactions may change people's behaviour in a way that prevents as many trades from happening.

For example, increasing the number of listings seems to also increase the trade percentage. This is probably because the more listings, the more likely that there will be something that you want. However, there might be a point where adding more listings might decrease the trade percentage if the size of people's want lists do not increase proportional to the increase in overall listings.

This is just speculation.

I'm partially inclined to allow cash listings but otherwise copy the same format as last time so we can see what effects cash listings will have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanu Harfield
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I would be interested in this. Not fussed whether there's cash or not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Warmwater
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Bhfxhg wrote:
I would be interested in this. Not fussed whether there's cash or not

Sweet. Well looks like I'll go ahead as planned.

Here is the geeklist

I will open it up for listings to be added tonight (probably around 6pm to 7pm).

Rules are similar to last time. Let me know if you have any feedback before I open it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Warmwater
New Zealand
flag msg tools
The Math Trade is now live. Feel free to start adding items.

I have added one as an example and will probably add some more later tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Anderson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in favour of cash listings. I see the advantage to those offering cash and those swapping for cash. And those of us who want to swap game for game can easily ignore all the cash offers.

In the end a lot of people will part with cash anyway as they post games from one end of the country to the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Warmwater
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Firstly, thanks to everyone who has already added games to the Math Trade. You guys are amazing. I hope we can get even more listings than the January Math Trade received.

I'm also shocked at the number of amazing games that people somehow don't want any more. We already have a copy of the highest ranked game on BGG and two copies of the second highest game in the Math Trade. No sign yet of last year's most wanted game - Concordia.

Now, I need some feedback before I make a final decision on how this Math Trade will run. I originally stated that it was my intention to try and get the Online Want List Generator working for this Math Trade.

I am currently leaning towards abandoning the plan to use it.

If you are interested, check out the OLWLG yourself here. Last year's Math Trade is still listed on the front page if you want to see what it might look like if we use it.

I'm not convinced that the OLWLG would make the Math Trade easier for us.

The benefit I wanted from the OLWLG was that it would make it simpler for people to manage their want lists and therefore it would encourage more people to be able to take part in the Math Trade. Just by looking that OLWLG website, I don't feel that it will be a good experience for users. I think the simplest way is for people to manage their want lists however they want.

I think geekmail will be the simplest way for people to submit their want lists.

One annoyance in the current system is that BGG geeklists have only 25 items on each page. The OLWLG allows you to view the whole list on one page. However when it extracts the information from BGG, it appears to lose the formatting, images, and comments. I will be providing a copy of my spreadsheet that I use to keep track of everything so if you really want a single list of all the games, you will be able to have one.

Regarding mistakes - I want you all to know that I am very good at ensuring they won't happen. I must have contacted at least one in three people in the last Math Trade about their want lists to check things like whether they had forgotten to use duplicate protection. After the results were generated, I also cross matched all trade results with the geekmails containing their want lists to ensure no user had accidentally received a game they had never included on their want list.

We still have plenty of time. Please let me know your opinions on what would make things easier for you in this Math Trade. If you think the OLWLG would make things easier, say so. If you like the way I ran it last time, say so. If you think another way would be even better, say so. All feedback is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ry Scales
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with whatever is of more convenience to you.
If us gm'ing you our lists and you going through them is ok with you then I'm good
If us using the OLWG and then gming you when it doesn't go right and you correcting any mistakes is easier then I'm game to use the new thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keaton
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which ever is easiest for you, I'm happy to use either method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used the OLWLG. Personally, I find just compiling the game codes easy enough.

Happy either way, but I think it will be quite a learning curve to use the OLWLG for many people, whereas writing down game codes should be easier.

Thanks for the reassurances regarding error checking the results before releasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The OLWLG is fantastic, with a small learning curve. It's particularly good at auto-generating dummy entries for duplicate protection!

The checkbox-based system is quite handy for organising large groups of data. If you choose to go with manual entry, that's cool too - a bit of excel shenanigans will do almost the same job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Glennie
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used the OLWLG several times before for other math trades. It is a little bit cumbersome (especially the first time you use it) but the duplicate protection is handy as well as the checkbox sorting.

On another note, there is a math trade announcement thread on BGG where you can advertise the math trade. I did't see any posts for this one there. I subscribe to that thread as the primary way to see new math trades and so you might see more games submitted if this one is posted.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/218951/math-trade-annou...

Thanks for organizing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've never been involved in one of these before, but completely trust you! Cheers for all the work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Warmwater
New Zealand
flag msg tools
DeviousG wrote:
On another note, there is a math trade announcement thread on BGG where you can advertise the math trade. I did't see any posts for this one there. I subscribe to that thread as the primary way to see new math trades and so you might see more games submitted if this one is posted.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/218951/math-trade-annou...

Thanks for organizing!

Thanks Devin.

I did know about it - but only recently when I was looking into the OLWLG stuff. I didn't think that anyone would be checking there so I didn't bother. But if you do then others might, so I'll put something on there shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeWarmLuke wrote:
Just by looking that OLWLG website, I don't feel that it will be a good experience for users.

LukeWarmLuke wrote:

I think the simplest way is for people to manage their want lists however they want.

I want to use the OLWLG. :-/

LukeWarmLuke wrote:

Please let me know your opinions on what would make things easier for you in this Math Trade.

Using the OLWLG. I'm not sure why this hasn't already been set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of two of the rules of the maths trade. They don't bother me enough to stop me from participating, but I'd like to politely request that one or both are dropped.

The first is the rule that for the first few days only games in the top 2000 can be listed. I can understand the desire to give 'better' games more exposure, but I'd much prefer to be able to list all of my items in a single go without having to muck around checking what ratings they have first. It's an annoyance I can live with, but I'd prefer not to have to.

The second is the rule that base games and expansions cannot be listed separately. This is the one that I really don't think is a good rule. Many people want to get a base game and try it out before picking up the expansion. Many people want to pick up an expansion without getting an extra copy of the base game!

If the general consensus is that these are great rules, I'm not looking to rock the boat. I'm just raising these as things that I'd prefer changed, to see whether anybody else agrees
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.