New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Re:A Norse should alwyas go berserk (BUG.. perhaps)
Roland_Deschain (#29002),

The raw chance to win a battle goes up, but since the Norse lose ties the overall chance goes down significantly in all but certain circumstances.

To make up some numbers to illustrate my point, say the Huskarl has a 25% chance to win without berserking and 33% with, and in both instances the chance of tying is 50%. Without berserking it's a 50/50 fight (25% vs 25%, reroll ties). Berserking, the chance to win for the Huskarl "goes up" to 33%, but since he loses ties the opponent will win 67% of the time - so now the opponent wins twice as often instead of the same amount.

The Norse units should only berserk if it is rolling fewer dice and if the dice differential between the units is more than half of the dice rolled by the Norse unit. Or when facing Medusa.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:A Norse should alwyas go berserk (BUG.. perhaps)
If you are looking at the tables titled "BERSEKED NORSE vs. ...", those tables should only be used when the Norse god power which grants the berserk capbility to all Norse units is in effect. (And similary, the "INSPIRED NORSE vs. ..." should only be used when the Norse god power which grants +1 dice to all Norse units is in effect.)

The probabilities shown in all of the tables already incoporate the optimal berserk choice. I.e., The values shown in the table correspond to the better choice of going berserk or not going berserk.

If you want to know when to go berserk as the Norse player, as Octavian has already said: When vs. Medusa or when the opposing unit has more than 1.5 times as many dice, rounded down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.