BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Scoring Preferences: Tokens Vs. Scoreboard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Thorogood
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Poll: Scoring: Coins Vs. Scoreboard
Hey all - in the interest of making my game as enjoyable as possible, which do you prefer to keep score with coins (chits/tokens/etc) or a single piece on a scoreboard?

My current game design would cost the same whether I went for a scoreboard or some form of points tokens, so I thought I'd look into what's the most popular! Please help out and vote below.
What do you prefer to keep score with in a board game?
Coins (/tokens/chits/etc)
Scoreboard (with a single player token)
Paper scoring sheet
      34 answers
Poll created by TGGaming_Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...always a sliver of hope.
mbmbmbmbmb
App....

Then round-the-board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
It's much easier to see all the players scores at a glance with a Scoreboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, not app...

Really depends on the mechanics of the game TBH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I selected coins/tokens/chits but I'd recommend cards, a la paper money but on playing card stock.

Of course, "what this game really needs is a good set of clay poker chips."

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pillai
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Where's the 'with the blood of all my vanquished enemies' option? devil

Depends on the type of game - e.g: trading / economic type games would do well with tokens, but quest type games (where you already have a gajillion cards & dice) might do better with a score track. In terms of personal preference, I'd go tokens, scoreboard, then pen and paper.

Personally I think dials (or spinners) don't get enough consideration for use as a potential scoreboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If score is public info, I feel scoreboard is the best for a number of reasons.

1. Ease of presentation.
2. Subtly of checking (sometimes you want to check out an opponent's score without them knowing that's what you are doing).
3. Component convenience. Even if cost isn't a factor, it's easier to deal with a board.

The two scenarios I think which require chits or chips are if score is NOT public info (so they can be hidden in pockets and such) OR if it is secret info even to the player - for example the coal and gold ore in Oregon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Åke Hansson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mb
hestiansun wrote:
If score is public info, I feel scoreboard is the best for a number of reasons.

1. Ease of presentation.
2. Subtly of checking (sometimes you want to check out an opponent's score without them knowing that's what you are doing).
3. Component convenience. Even if cost isn't a factor, it's easier to deal with a board.

The two scenarios I think which require chits or chips are if score is NOT public info (so they can be hidden in pockets and such) OR if it is secret info even to the player - for example the coal and gold ore in Oregon.

I agree with most of this - however, try to play poker with a scoreboard...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted chits, but what it is, is that I really dislike the TTR style -- the scoreboard goes around the board sort of scoreboard. A dedicated one, like Between 2 cities has is fine by me. Around here the problem of 'knocked the token off the board when I was placing my trains, where does it go again?' is so severe that we just refuse to score as you go in TTR -- which has the added advantage that you can just cancel out routes at end of game -- everybody remove a length-1 until somebody runs out, repeat with length-2 and so on -- which is actually a good bit of fun, especially for children of a certain age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pillai
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
I voted chits, but what it is, is that I really dislike the TTR style -- the scoreboard goes around the board sort of scoreboard.

I think it's called a score track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thorogood
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Thanks all for taking part - it's clear that the overall majority prefer a score tracker.

For those who were asking, it's a grid-movement game. The player's characters have some limited take-that, but mainly they play against opponents that they find around the map.

It includes secret objectives, so knowing what score everyone else is on isn't necessarily going to help, but it may do. That said, it is a time-limited game (ten minutes), so hopefully players won't spent a lot of time score-watching!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
For me, it really depends on the game. Writing down scores, for me, is a definite "no", but the other two options have distinctive features which suit different types of gameplay. Sometimes, you WANT it to be hard to tell who's in the lead - giving players a handful of cards/tokens/coins/whatever they can conceal is a great way to make sure nobody else knows EXACTLY where the other players are in terms of scoring. Other times, having a visible scoreboard which every player's score is marked on will be more suitable so players have an idea of how the game is progressing.

It isn't something that's ever going to be "one size fits all", imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.