Subject: Hemming’s Rune Carver rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
This leader's Power states: Activate the effect of 1 of the runes face-up in the supply or gain 1 wood from the supply.

The bolded portion is where my question lies. Does this mean that upon activating the Rune Carver causes the chosen Rune card to get used exactly as if Hemming had purchased it (gain Glory and the card getting flipped and placed next to him for possible Fate cards) or does it remain face-up in the supply after the effect is gained (without gaining Glory or flipping)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it as you just get the effect. Rune card stays where it's at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Reissmann
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paxton73 wrote:
This is how it should be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Itzla
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Just played last night and I had this character. Can this be used more than once per turn? The rune that was up was the get 4 resources one. I rolled leader ability and then got 4 gold. Didn't defeat Troll so rolled again and rolled leader ability symbol a second time. I ended up with 8 gold. Just making sure that this was a valid move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is in the second round of combat (not a re-roll) then it seems fine to me.

I dont think there is any rule about activating ability once per game round/battle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
paxton73 wrote:

This is correct.

-Josh
Grey Fox Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Malphazio wrote:
Just played last night and I had this character. Can this be used more than once per turn? The rune that was up was the get 4 resources one. I rolled leader ability and then got 4 gold. Didn't defeat Troll so rolled again and rolled leader ability symbol a second time. I ended up with 8 gold. Just making sure that this was a valid move.

Also correct.

-Josh
Grey Fox Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are a little confused with how this works with some runes.

For example if the rune was glory but you haven't yet defeated the enemy can you still use it and hold the effect until you defeat the enemy or is it an instant effect and therefore useless?

Also, true vision - says WHEN resolving the sage hut, but does this mean you get a sage hut action immediately or is this a useless effect at that point in time.

Many thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caoc120603 wrote:

For example if the rune was glory but you haven't yet defeated the enemy can you still use it and hold the effect until you defeat the enemy or is it an instant effect and therefore useless?

Also, true vision - says WHEN resolving the sage hut, but does this mean you get a sage hut action immediately or is this a useless effect at that point in time.

Many thanks in advance

I would rule as you did.

Glory would be active till the end of the current battle. True vision (is that the one that lets you look at 3 destiny card and choose 1?) would be useless.
Not all Runes would work with this, but you always have at least 1 option, often 2.

In fact when we played, I came up with a strategy that Hemming could deliberately take the other rune when 'Glory' is available and ensure that he can copy 'Glory' multiple times (round after round).
I thought it was pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
caoc120603 wrote:

Many thanks in advance

I would rule as you did.

Glory would be active till the end of the current battle. True vision (is that the one that lets you look at 3 destiny card and choose 1?) would be useless.
Not all Runes would work with this, but you always have at least 1 option, often 2.

In fact when we played, I came up with a strategy that Hemming could deliberately take the other rune when 'Glory' is available and ensure that he can copy 'Glory' multiple times (round after round).

Thanks for the response.

True Vision is the one that lets you look at 2 sage cards and take one WHEN you take the Sage Action. We felt that as your were not actually taking the sage action you couldn't do this, so it was pointless (so you would take the wood instead if this was the only Rune on show).

Glory - so just to be clear you believe this lasts to the end of the battle so is an effective card? That would be good.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caoc120603 wrote:
jooice wrote:
caoc120603 wrote:

Many thanks in advance

I would rule as you did.

Thanks for the response.

True Vision is the one that lets you look at 2 sage cards and take one WHEN you take the Sage Action. We felt that as your were not actually taking the sage action you couldn't do this, so it was pointless (so you would take the wood instead if this was the only Rune on show).

Glory - so just to be clear you believe this lasts to the end of the battle so is an effective card? That would be good.....

That is how I would play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vince wang
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i have read your replies regarding this hero ability and i beg to differ.

applying the same logic of dealing with the true vision
you can't have the effect until the end of your turn.

you can't take advantage of this card effect if this is not the timing of rune card taking effect

you can't take advantage of "truen vision" simply because this is not the timing of "true vision"taking effect.

the only timing that the glory rune card could be used is when you roll the hero's halmet face in the same round of defeating this monster. only at that moment can you take advantage of glory rune card because this is the right timing.

what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds reasonable.
You can use the ability, but you need to win the battle this round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.