1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Firefly: FUTURAMA: The Game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea came up that it might be fun to do a re-skin of Firefly themed around the Futurama series. I'm starting this thread to begin holding ideas and discussions toward that end. It's intended to be a group project, and any input is accepted and appreciated, from just spit-balling ideas to card, board, and miniature design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
mb
Sweet! Maybe you could set up a google docs as well like you mentioned? So we can record everything.

So as I said in the other thread, I'm in. I do have my wedding on September 16th, so I can't do anything but discuss till then. Afterwards I can help with writing and some photoshop stuff. Not sure I could completely redesign the board for example, but I can do some things like making cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Dropbox will probably work better than Google, but I don't honestly have any experience with Google.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
mb
I haven't used dropbox in a long time. Does it have similar functionality? With Google we can make a folder, share it with each other, and put in documents, spreadsheets, etc. So each document could be a part of the game. Everyone can add notes to the documents or edit, live even. We can upload files to it as well, jpegs, etc...

Up to you. I'll get a dropbox set up if you prefer that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like they do about the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh look! There's a Jayne in THIS universe too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark walsh
United Kingdom
Salisbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd happily contribute. I think Adam's cards (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1839250/futurama-expans...) are a good starting point, though would like to see a full re-skin. I could easily see a crew doing jobs for Prof Farnsworth, Mom, Richard Nixon's head, Fishy Joe to name a few.

There is a great wealth of info here to crib ideas from:
https://theinfosphere.org/Main_Page

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Welcome aboard.

Adam's cards are fantastic. For our purposes here, it'd just be a matter of plugging them into the (as-yet not created) card faces for the re-skin. I think substance-wise, he's right on the money. And I see this as being more of a direct re-skin than what I've been doing with Star Trek. Makes the task much easier, which means also faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stansbury
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infoshpere is Where I got a lot of my pics and got the general ideas for most of the cards I've been back on there recently looking at ways to implement a full reskin like the nimbus instead of the Alliance Cruiser or the Operatives Corvette, and maybe the Omcronians instead of the Reapers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stansbury
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking at the reskin and I think I have workable map for futurama universe let me know what you think. Also does anyone have a template for nav cards, just thought I'd see before I started on one.

Yellow are the proposed supply planets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Crap man! That's awesome!

I don't believe there's a template for Nav cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
norseknight wrote:

Yellow are the proposed supply planets.

Now I can see it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stansbury
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my crack at a nav card for Futurama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark walsh
United Kingdom
Salisbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That map looks great! I was tinkering with something vaguely similar (Solar System, Omicronian space, 'Censored zone' (like your sleaze system) etc.) but got significantly less far with it.

I was considering having the neutral planet be the only planet in it's 'system' calling it the 'neutral zone', with grey sector markings obviously, and having players draw no nav cards within it?

I was also trying to figure out if it was possible to work in the Bermuda Tetrahedron somehow.

Also amusing that Eternium 'the exact centre of the universe' is on the very edge of the map .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stansbury
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that just ended that way but it was also claimed to be in deep Space as well. I think I have the supply planets lined out, I have 8 looking to see if you think I should remove any.
1.Earth
2.Amazonia
3.Galactic Bazaar
4.Doop HQ
5.Decapod 10
6.Eternium
7.Spa 5
8.Space Planet 4
New pic with them all marked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should probably cap it at 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
mb
Love the map!!! I love how you incorporated god into it, lol.

But yeah, I agree, it should be capped at 5. Galactic Bazaar has to be one of them for sure.

But some of those could be contact planets. Earth should be a contact planet for sure, but I could see a few character beings contacts. Like the professor, Mom, etc.

IMO there should be the Nimbus to fly around and have Zap as a contact, like Harken in firefly.

Omicron Persei 8 should also be involved somehow, maybe as a contact planet or supply planet.

On a different note, I know someone made firefly cards in another thread, but they did it for the supply planets already in firefly. So I was thinking, if we re-do them or do seperate ones for these, maybe we can play around with the skills?

It could work with the original skills, fight, tech and negotiate. However we could go with a more "futurama" set of skills. Mainly because I'm thinking of Fry as a character... and he posses none of those.

So my proposal is a set of 3 or 4 skills. For some reason all my skills start with B's (it just happened that way). Brains, Bad ass-ery, Bureaucracy, and Blind luck. Heck could even do Beer (though not sure what that would entail)- or bending (though bending would be very very specific to one character). This way I could see each of our characters falling into a few of those categories. Fry would be mostly blind luck, hermes beaureaucracy, leela mostly bad assery, etc...

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Also, I'll try and get a dropbox set up this weekend, and we can all join up.

We should talk about who the opposing alien species would be (i.e. reavers). I vote for Either the Brain Spawn or Omicronians, though Brain Spawn are more "destroy everything in the universe" and less "attack a random ship". On the other hand, it would be nice to have Omicron Persei 8 as a contact planet--but they could be both.

Here's a list of alien species:

https://theinfosphere.org/List_of_alien_species

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That guy?

Same guy.

Man is on a roll.

The original idea was to do a straight up re-skin. New map, new card backs and fronts, but same rules, same layout of the cards. Quick and easy. That doesn't mean stuff can't be changed. It's an animated series after all.

That said, I do think leaving the 3 skills basically the same will make things easier in the long run. I'm interested in altering the symbols slightly though. Like changing the gun on the mb to a Futurama style ray gun; the wrench on the mb to a robot claw-hand like Bender's; and the Chinese text in the word bubble on mb to either alien text, or the random symbols used for swearing in comics (#$%&), though I think the alien test is better.

If that leaves Fry with no skills, then that's fine. He's just a delivery boy after all.

There should be a Job where you have to bend stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
mb
True it's Adam who did both the cards and the map. Nicely done. Though yeah, the cards will have to change for the map he made, as they say regina and so on, on the cards.

Well I get where you're coming from about the re-skinning, and now thinking about it it may change a few things, like tech needed for fixing the ship. Though that could be replaced with brains, and most things with skills would need to be altered anyways.

Though I get it. We can keep it the same as Adam already did a lot of that work.

I can get to working on a few story cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark walsh
United Kingdom
Salisbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it's possible to have the Omicronians as both a contact (Lrr) and a reader equivalent. It could work along the lines of:
Contact with an omicronian ship requires a die roll to determine if they become hostile (say 1-3 results in standard reader contact scenario, 4-6 full stop).
If working a job for Lrr then 1-2 results in hostile contact.
If solid with Lrr then 1
If you fail a Lrr job (may need an omicron warrant equivalent) then 1-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
mb
Cool idea, I like where you're going, but won't that make them less frightening to run into then? I only have the base game mind you, but I find running into the reavers a rare occurrence as it is... but not sure how much more frightening it is with the expansion. If the expansion is fairly balanced, maybe it should just affect the outcome, rather than roll to see if hostile?

My suggestion-

Keep is as a standard reaver card: 1-7 kill 2 crew and evade, 8+ kill 1 crew and evade (or spend 1 fuel to evade)

Then if they're working a job for Lrr, and/or solid with Lrr, it turns into: 1-7 kill 1 crew and evade, 8+ kill no crew and evade. (or spend 1 fuel or roll 5+ tech to evade)

Just to keep it simple, but still frightening, while also making it worth going to get solid with Lrr?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
mb
So I realized we need symbols and tokens worked on instead of the stories atm... so I figured I'd give it a shot. I kept it as the firefly skills, but "futurama-ed" it as per Thorfinn's suggestions. Let me know what you guys think.

Also, I was thinking the brain slug would make a perfect turn marker in place of the dinosaur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stansbury
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonathanStarr wrote:
So I realized we need symbols and tokens worked on instead of the stories atm... so I figured I'd give it a shot. I kept it as the firefly skills, but "futurama-ed" it as per Thorfinn's suggestions. Let me know what you guys think.

Also, I was thinking the brain slug would make a perfect turn marker in place of the dinosaur.

So right now I'm working on a template for crew cards it looks quite a bit different than the Firefly crew cards and I had thought of doing some skill icons different to those in Firefly however these look great I was wondering if you'd let me use them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
mb
Absolutely! I figured we're all working together, so that's why I made them, for us to use it.

I'll work on the other tokens and icons we need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.