Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T. Brown
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on a small, kind of quick and light game. One of the players needs to focus on lighting a torch. I was trying to come up with a somewhat silly mechanic to use.
Something like rubbing sticks together, balancing oxygen sparks and tinder, or basically anything that isn't, "roll the dice to start a fire" "Draw a card and see if it's fire." I want a thematic fun, maybe dexterity based mechanic.
Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pogs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_caps_(game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Paulwei wrote:
pogs?

I think this is a great suggestion! What if you used different sized circular chit pieces and tried to throw/flip/flick a "Spark" piece onto/at a "Torch" piece? It would sort of emulate the idea of striking flint and aiming the sparks onto what you want to light.

And who knows. Maybe that dexterity mechanism would work well for other action-based challenges?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kline
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm piggybacking off the pog/dexterity mechanic already suggested, but maybe take a look at the main mechanism in Flip Ships.

The action could be flipping the pog (flint&Tinder) onto a shape of the torch - varying size depending on the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Include a ferro rod and some cards with the word 'tinder' printed on them.

Claim it's a Legacy game because you'll be permanently altering some of the game components (at a chemical reaction level).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kell
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine this: it's a legacy style game and it comes with 1 match and a striker. People will go crazy to physically start the game on fire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SHAWN WHITE
United States
JANESVILLE
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Shut the fuck up
badge
Whatever
mbmbmbmbmb
corneliusdamey wrote:
Paulwei wrote:
pogs?

I think this is a great suggestion! What if you used different sized circular chit pieces and tried to throw/flip/flick a "Spark" piece onto/at a "Torch" piece? It would sort of emulate the idea of striking flint and aiming the sparks onto what you want to light.

And who knows. Maybe that dexterity mechanism would work well for other action-based challenges?

I'm generally not a fan of dexterity games, but I like the idea of a dexterity-based mechanic in a game. Good call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iggn Hes
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kids love the 'stick and bow' mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.