Time of Crisis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Becoming Emperor while Pretender - two questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Chapman
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Q1: If a player becomes Emperor in a turn while he is the only Pretender on the map (and with no Rival Emperors on the map), does the Support level in Italia drop by one during the Support Check Phase?

Common sense says no, but a strict reading of the rules and turn sequence would seem to indicate otherwise. During the Support Check Phase (6.4 - second bullet), it says (in part): "If you are Emperor and there is a Pretender on the map, reduce the support level of Italia by one". Since the Pretender goes away during the Gain Legacy Phase (6.6), it is still on the map during the Support Check Phase. It seems counter-intuitive to reduce the Support Level in Italia due to the successful effort of the Pretender becoming Emperor, but this may be an intentional design feature.

Q2: If a player becomes Emperor in a turn while he is also Pretender, can the player still expand his Pretender Empire (6.5) during that turn to gain more Legacy during the Gain Legacy Phase (6.6)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Q1, it should say "If you are Emperor and there is *an opposing* Pretender on the map...." You should not be penalized in the turn you legitimize your own claim. We'll add the errata to the list.

For Q2, yes, you could still expand your Pretender Empire for extra points during the turn you legitimize your claim. You would take over as Emperor, expand your Pretender Empire (if possible), collect your Legacy, and then immediately dismantle your Pretender Empire. Basically I guess you could think of it as getting points for becoming Emperor while your star is actually on the rise. It's kind of an edge case that I wouldn't think would come up too often (never saw it in playtest), but it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Chapman
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for your quick reply. I look forward to playing my next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bggslewfoot wrote:
Thank you for your quick reply. I look forward to playing my next game.

No problem, hope you enjoy it! Thanks a lot for pointing out this little glitch to us....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
For Q1, it should say "If you are Emperor and there is *an opposing* Pretender on the map...." You should not be penalized in the turn you legitimize your own claim. We'll add the errata to the list.

For Q2, yes, you could still expand your Pretender Empire for extra points during the turn you legitimize your claim. You would take over as Emperor, expand your Pretender Empire (if possible), collect your Legacy, and then immediately dismantle your Pretender Empire. Basically I guess you could think of it as getting points for becoming Emperor while your star is actually on the rise. It's kind of an edge case that I wouldn't think would come up too often (never saw it in playtest), but it works.

so on my first turn that i place emperor as the pretender i will move the marker to 1 turn as emperor and also collect the pretender legacy then remove my seat of power and all breakaway markers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umrmeche wrote:
so on my first turn that i place emperor as the pretender i will move the marker to 1 turn as emperor and also collect the pretender legacy then remove my seat of power and all breakaway markers?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.