Subject: Stretch Goals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone else worried we may not unlock ALL of the Petersen's planned stretch goals? ARGHARGH GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all - we're doing fine so far.

Have you backed many kickstarters? There will probably be a massive surge in the last 48hrs when the 48hr reminders go out. That's how it is for many games - the 1st 48hrs and last 48hrs can often get 50% (or more) of the campaign total.

Sandy & co know this (and had a decent idea how a CW KS will run) so I've no doubt that we'll unlock them all. We'll also see a boost when the super-secret super-cool thingy is announced (and I still think penguins, as they're 'cool').

Note - Gods War didn't do as well as expected, but that was a different IP with a (potentially) different fanbase. CW OS2 didn't quite unlock all the shining trap and maroon SGs, but I think that there they were adding things as they went along. For OS3 they've said that they're China-ready - they know what they want to produce & I'm sure they'll have planned it all for the expected KS result (with some contingency & tolerance built in).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Connor
msg tools
mb
Don't worry, we won't get all the stretch goals. However, I think we have hit the important ones: Gameplay add-ons. We've gotten the Vooniths, the Haunter in the Dark, and Groth Worm Terror Unit rules. We've also gotten 4 investigators, enough for an average 4 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiddenElephant wrote:
Don't worry, we won't get all the stretch goals. However, I think we have hit the important ones: Gameplay add-ons. We've gotten the Vooniths, the Haunter in the Dark, and Groth Worm Terror Unit rules. We've also gotten 4 investigators, enough for an average 4 player game.

I am not too sure. Scuttlebutt is they planned for 1 million and I see that happening pretty easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
JudgementDave wrote:

Note - Gods War didn't do as well as expected, but that was a different IP with a (potentially) different fanbase.

Yo, that's me! While I did like the sound of the gameplay I don't like medieval fantasy settings enough to have backed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the reassurance. I hope we at least unlock all the investigators, the neutral acolytes (and rules), the Prophetess, and the secret stretch goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobacles wrote:
I appreciate the reassurance. I hope we at least unlock all the investigators, the neutral acolytes (and rules), the Prophetess, and the secret stretch goal.

Sandy recently stated that the secret stretch goal will not be a goal, at all, and will be included no matter what. They're just waiting to reveal it. Probably for the last 48 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hultquist
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
There will probably be a massive surge in the last 48hrs when the 48hr reminders go out. That's how it is for many games - the 1st 48hrs and last 48hrs can often get 50% (or more) of the campaign total.

Even aside from that, we'll also get a nice bump when the last $15 add-on is revealed - that'll probably knock off two more stretch goals by itself right there.

But yeah, don't worry - I also expect we'll get to $1 million, which would be another 12 full stretch goals at the current clip of one goal per $18K, plenty to complete the grey acolytes, investigators, and lots of other goodies. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xee
msg tools
On top of the last 48 hours, there are going to be people who have not added in their add-on purchases. These backers just pledged at the level they wanted, and will probably put in their add-on money towards the last few days. In the last days / 48 hours, you'll see average pledge values going up.

I'm sure Petersen Games have this all estimated. Plus, I believe that Sandy had said in the early days of the campaign that we had exceeded their expectations in terms of pledge levels. As seeing that we've consistently average ~$11,500 per day (with the exception of 2-3 days), we should still be in-line with PG's estimation of funding progress.

Furthermore, PG recently added Dire Azathoth as an add-on that they will not be making much off. If the Kickstarter wasn't performing as well as Sandy & co hoped it would be, I doubt we'd have gotten Dire Azathoth at $15. So I'd like to believe that we're actually chugging along just fine.

Ultimately; the remaining unknown is how far we'll get in the last 48 hours. Cthulhu Wars isn't exactly new IP, and people that were looking for the game would have, in all likelihood, pledged early on. So We don't actually know if we'll see the same rush in the last 48 hours as other Kickstarter - although I'm completely hoping that we'll get a massive funding influx in the last 48 hours to completely blow past all the goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure we will get all the investigators and gray acolytes. Petersen Games will adjust the gaps between stretch goals as necessary - and already have in this campaign, from 20 to 17-18 thousand as of late.

Personally, I'm quite underwhelmed by the nature of the stretch goals. A large majority of them is stuff that should be (and intended to be) included anyway, like the plastic gate, high priest and brain cylinders for the Ancients, monsters that were likely removed from expansions, or rules for this and that, padded with the gray acolytes.

What else? A useless discount code for a T-shirt, cheating on a former exclusive item by making it a different color, a first player marker that nobody will use (because the previous ones are cooler), and so on. The "dire" Cthulhu is OK, I guess, although I'm a not a fan of the sculpt.

The only noteworthy addition is the investigators, but even then, of course, they have been split into several stretch goals, as if it made sense to get just one or two - not to mention the ugly sculpts in a different style, recycled from another game.

Sorry for the rant, but I honestly would have preferred more maroon collector's miniatures to most of the stretch goals we are getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
I'm pretty satisfied. I really like the Investigators and I'd rather get reused sculpts and new rules than just reused sculpts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
does anyone else also think that the style of the sculpts have changed a lot since OS1? OS2 already had some diverging style, but all in all still felt coherent. OS3 feels like a totally new crew of artists, sculptors and designers went at it. I'm not complaining about the campaign in general, it's just the sculpts that look a bit off somehow. In OS1 all miniatures felt beefy and massive and did not have too many intricate details (not needing them). In OS3 the scultps look more like those awful sculpts from Gods War (i'm sorry, but this is how I feel about them). I'd have backed GW in an instant but then I saw the sculpts...

I hope that the sculpts will eventually look different than the renderings.

EDIT for typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Personally, I'm quite underwhelmed by the nature of the stretch goals. A large majority of them is stuff that should be (and intended to be) included anyway, like the plastic gate, high priest and brain cylinders for the Ancients, monsters that were likely removed from expansions, or rules for this and that, padded with the gray acolytes.

That struck me as strange at first too, until I understood the reasons for it and realized that I was looking at it too narrowly. "Stretch goal" does not have to mean "something we had not been planning to do, but added when the pledges were higher than anticipated". Here it means "something we have planned to do, and believe we will do, but which we left out of the initial offering in case the demand is lower than anticipated". I respect that: if there is not enough demand for the whole pie, I would absolutely rather get some pie than nothing.

Quote:
Sorry for the rant, but I honestly would have preferred more maroon collector's miniatures to most of the stretch goals we are getting.

I can sympathize with disappointed hopes, if not for the reason for them in this case. (I have no need or desire for the maroon collectibles.) It dismays me to see you get bitter, though; I enjoy seeing your posts for various games, and hope you don't get cankered about this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Loig wrote:
does anyone else also think that the style of the sculpts have changed a lot since OS1? OS2 already had some diverging style, but all in all still felt coherent. OS3 feels like a totally new crew of artists, sculptors and designers went at it. I'm not complaining about the campaign in general, it's just the sculpts that look a bit off somehow. In OS1 all miniatures felt beefy and massive and did not have too many intricate details (not needing them). In OS3 the scultps look more like those awful sculpts from Gods War (i'm sorry, but this is how I feel about them). I'd have backed GW in an instant but then I saw the sculpts...

EDIT for typos

You're not wrong, they are in a different style. I think it's because the first two where hand sculpted first and made into molds while this time they're using computer generated images created by a different studio.

If I understand the process correctly the render looks more exaggerated than the miniature will because a lot of detail is lost when casting them. IIRC it was explained in an Ask Sandy thread somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm too old school then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:

OH GOD NO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, not interested in more collector's miniatures, especially with two missing from OS2. They were fun (we put some in an aquarium) but I don't have a display shelf for bling, so they're packed in a box. Do I need maroon Ancients monsters? Nah. I much prefer stretch goals centered on gameplay.

I don't care about there being different-color reissues of OS1 items, either — plus there's rules for the new one(s). Maaaybe if the HP figure was worth a ton on the aftermarket I'd care a little in that regard, but it isn't, so ... so what? People like to get mad about things, I guess.

Overall I'm VERY happy with the stretch goals; I don't know what the plan is for the gray acolytes, but past experience suggests it'll be something cool. Not wild about the Investigator sculpts but love the mechanics. Everything else so far has been great. (And a free 6-8 player Shaggai map is nothing to sneeze at.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReptileViking wrote:
Loig wrote:

EDIT for typos

You're not wrong, they are in a different style. I think it's because the first two where hand sculpted first and made into molds while this time they're using computer generated images created by a different studio.

If I understand the process correctly the render looks more exaggerated than the miniature will because a lot of detail is lost when casting them. IIRC it was explained in an Ask Sandy thread somewhere.

It's also because they're using completely different artists. The art for OS1 was exclusively designed by Richard Luong. OS3's stuff has been designed by Kent Hamilton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
DancingFool wrote:

It's also because they're using completely different artists. The art for OS1 was exclusively designed by Richard Luong. OS3's stuff has been designed by Kent Hamilton.

Yep. Also, O2 was Paul Carrik and the Investigators are Keith Thompson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Not wild about the Investigator sculpts but love the mechanics.

Yeah, so not a fan of the post-apocalyptic shoulderpad-punk look, but the mechanics seem interesting. Contemplating shelving the minis and using the ones from Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu instead. The style has definitely made my decision about Planet Apocalypse easy…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:

EDIT for typos

They have a bit, but I still think they fit. Overwhelmingly the Cthulhu Wars style has opted to represent the mythos creatures as something resembling wildlife rather than anthropomorphized monsters. I think that sticks out the most to me about the aesthetic.

I agree that these units are more gaunt, but I think we can accept some variety.

As for the detail, I'm pretty sure that's overcompensation because detail always gets lost in the molding process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
I can sympathize with disappointed hopes, if not for the reason for them in this case. (I have no need or desire for the maroon collectibles.) It dismays me to see you get bitter, though; I enjoy seeing your posts for various games, and hope you don't get cankered about this one.

Thanks for your kind words, Bryan! I really appreciate your sympathy. Don't worry, I'm not that bothered, but I do tend to be harsh and incisive when expressing negative feelings.

My wish for collector's miniatures is related to a general disappointment with the game itself. At this point, I've been thinking of selling some of the expansions, and having the minis in some form would ease that decision. I also keep thinking of using them in a game of my own. Besides, my comment was more in the sense that even collector's minis would be preferable as stretch goals, not that I wanted them so much.

I must say that I'm glad to see generic Tcho-Tcho and Ancients acolytes as the latest revealed stretch goal. Their absence was triggering my mild OCD. I find it weird, though, that they will come with the new acolytes and not in the stretch goal box. So, if you want to use the generic acolytes in your games with those factions, you need to buy the unique ones?! It doesn't bother me, personally, as I'm pledging at the Yothan level, but that doesn't make sense at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidryanandersson wrote:
They have a bit, but I still think they fit. Overwhelmingly the Cthulhu Wars style has opted to represent the mythos creatures as something resembling wildlife rather than anthropomorphized monsters. I think that sticks out the most to me about the aesthetic.

I don't like the hard sci-fi look of the investigators, or even the new acolytes for that matter. The sculpts seem great as per usual, I'm talking thematically; I really liked the idea that humanity is completely out of the picture in CW... In fact I was never convinced that the original cultists were really men - who knows what hides behind that mask? goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
I'd probably feel the same way if there was a whole faction of non-Mythos humans that where competitive with the GOO. Since they're just exceptional survivors dancing at the whims of the Great Old Ones I'm ok with it.

I also like that they're post-apocalyptic. There's a nuke sticking out of Australia, they fit in better than 1920s folks would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be no more "maroon collectibles" in this KS that I can recall off the top of my head.

We ARE adding a few things last minute (e.g., Dire Azathoth, the new eradication markers, etc.).

But the "big secret" will be revealed just before the 48 hour mark. No has come close to guessing it as far as I've seen.

Though, if someone has or does guess it, I'll obviously lie and pretend they didn't whistle

In any case, I really can't see anyone not loving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.