Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it took me two years to actually buy the game because there is essentially no info about it out there. Only a few light reviews in Japanese, but they didn't really give a good feel for the game... just the basics. I suppose no one wanted to spoil the scenarios.

Anyhow, had some extra cash and found that they finally put the rulebook up and even in English (I can read Japanese, but don't have to think as hard if in English ). After reading the rules I thought it sounded cool, so I took the plunge. Not all that expensive and free shipping.

- Component review -
I was very pleased when I opened the box to find very nice components. The game comes with something like 7 thick token sheets consisting of probably 50 standees, and tons of little tokens, four player boards, bases for the standees, 7 really thick board tiles and a bunch of different cards in two sizes (standard and half-size).

- Tokens: like I stated, nice and thick, also they punch out easily.

- Cards are that vinyl finish, or whatever that is called. Nice!

- Board tiles: These are very cool. Super thick with circular indents in each hex to place clue and exploration tokens.

- Standees: same material as the tokens, 8 different characters with nice art. The contamination creature things and bosses look cool as well. They change what they are depending on the scenario, so kinda generic on purpose. Look like blue fireball creatures.

- Rulebook: The rulebook is all in color and easy to read. The English rules are b/w pdf only, but just as easy to follow.

Verdict: Components get a Thumbs up for sure.

Initial impressions:
So, my first game is actually still in progress, but I have to say I don't think I have any rules questions.
It is fairly complex a game, but not compared to Mageknight or even Descent.

- What I Like -

- Theme is pretty cool. There are arcane dangerous books that in the wrong hands unleash evil. At the same time the hereos must use these books to fight back. But the books can corrupt the heroes as well if your not careful.
- It's cooperative, so can be played solo (the biggest draw for me)
Although a few elements are supposed to be done by another player, it is easily done solo without any changes.
- Familiar yet different and interesting mechanics.
- No dice at all. Don't get me wrong I love dice, but it's refreshing to see something that uses a different system to resolve everything. I recently got Runebound 3rd edition and enjoy the "pog" like combat system.
This game uses cards with a person stretching out their hands. They are drawn one by one and if they match together at the hands it counts as a success. This keeps going until they aren't holding hands.
Sounds strange, but it is cool.
At the same time the enemies are seeded using the same cards from the enemy deck, and used for the boss combats.
- Another interesting feature is the player board which features one of those dangerous books. Each time you search or do research etc.. you draw a hex that is placed in your book.
Each hex has a line on it and you place them to make a line across the book. Then depending on the number used you get special power cards.
But they come at a cost. You must resist the temptation of the evil power or become a fallen character.
The less powerful the card (there are 3 levels of card), the less dangerous.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- How it plays -

First setup and end game conditions depend on the scenario. But I can give a turn overview.

1. Draw an event card and if it applies put it into play.

2. Each player takes 2 actions.
- Move: up to 3 spaces, or pay money for a taxi to move 6 spaces, or take a train to move to the next station (unless its contaminated).
- Area search, flip over exploration tokens, number depends on search success.
- Research, if you find a clue, or you can research a facility. These depend on the scenario.
-Decontaminate: remove a contamination
- Earn money: gain some money depending on successes.

3. End of turn
- Draw to see placement of enemies per tile
- if adjascent to heroes they get damaged.
- Tiles can become overrun (10 or more enemies).

How to lose:
If you run out of turns (number depends on scenario), if 3 tiles are overrun or if (usually) 3 heroes die or become fallen.

How to win:
Complete the scenario objectives.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial Impression oveall: This game may become a favorite of mine. I know I haven't played it much, but I get the feeling it will be on the table a lot more.
Also they released three new scenarios, so with a total of like 10 or it should keep me going for a while.

When I have more games under my belt, I will (if I remember) come back and do a more in depth review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got some more games in and really enjoying this game. Ended up ordering two of that designers other games. I think they will have a similar but different feel.

If anyone is interested I started to translate some of the scenarios into English.
However, I don't want to spoil them for myself though, so the scenarios will only be translated after I play them through and get all the clues and such.
The non-spoiler parts though I have started to translate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you would translate the other scenarios that would be great.
Is anything else translated into english, or must I understand/read Japanese?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they have translated most of the event cards and character cards. The ability cards aren't done yet it seems.
I may be able to do those, if I don't get distracted with another project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Antunes
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
Hey, mouseover!
badge
Hey, mouseover!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in the scenarios translation too. And the cards, if possible. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gotten caught up in lots of different projects.
I do still plan to get to this one, but might take a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Watts
United Kingdom
Southwell
Notts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris.

Like yourself I took my time getting a copy of this game but your overview finally made me pull the trigger.

There is just enough English translated material out there to make playing the 1st Scenario possible.

Have you had time to translate any more Scenarios etc recently?

I've written to GroupSNE to ask for an update about translating the Event Cards 46-80 and the rest of the scenarios but I suspect that the game may not be getting any more English support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I translated much more... always planning to do more when I get back to it.
Yeah, I think you may be right about it not getting any more English support.
When I get it back out next time I will try to translate some more. I really quite like this game. Actually, I rather like quite a few of their in company designs.
They just released a new in-house designed board-game set in their sword world rpg setting. I think I'll have to pick it up when I can.
Sounds like it is also scenario based, mostly co-op with some versus type scenarios as well.

Anyhow.. I'd really like to translate some more of the scenarios, just have so many projects going on, so I don't know when I will get around to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Watts
United Kingdom
Southwell
Notts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisbogert wrote:
I don't think I translated much more... always planning to do more when I get back to it.
Yeah, I think you may be right about it not getting any more English support.
When I get it back out next time I will try to translate some more. I really quite like this game. Actually, I rather like quite a few of their in company designs.
They just released a new in-house designed board-game set in their sword world rpg setting. I think I'll have to pick it up when I can.
Sounds like it is also scenario based, mostly co-op with some versus type scenarios as well.

Anyhow.. I'd really like to translate some more of the scenarios, just have so many projects going on, so I don't know when I will get around to it.

Thanks for the message.

It's quite frustrating not to have the entire event deck so i'm going to ask someone I know if they will help me with them.

Sadly the scenarios would be too big a job but if I can bribe the person in question, maybe they can help out.

Any partial translations you made or advice would be very helpful to speed up the process. I do not know any Japanese myself but have a few Japon Brand originals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.