James Milligan
msg tools
I played both games solo but using two hands so I just used standard 2-player rules.

First game I used the Assemble App on iOS and had to stop Carnage from his scheme of pitting the Avengers and the X-Men against one another. And by Avengers I mean Guardians of the Galaxy and by X-Men I mean the Fantastic Four (Err, Three?). Carnage was using Maximum Carnage & Emissaries of Evil Villain Groups with Shi'ar Commando Henchmen (I would love to see how comics would justify all this going on, lol). While I had access to Gamora, Drax and Starlord on the Guardians side and Human Torch, Thing and Invisible Woman on the Fantastic Four side.

Honestly the game was a bit of a cakewalk. A lot of wounds came around, and Carnage seemed to have a bit of a fetish for feasting on my Invisible Woman cards every-time I almost had a chance to start drawing them. Gamora didn't really see the light of day save for one card while one "Player" amassed a bunch of Drax and Starlord Artifact goodness while the other tried to get mostly Thing and Invisible Woman card with both decks supplementing their decks with the Human Torch.

I think we just hit Scheme #4 when both hands had enough damage to punch Carnages last two Mastermind Tactics on their following turns regardless of what happened with the villain turnovers. So nothing much to see there.

Second game was a different story, I used the TableMonkey Randomizer for this one and we had to stop Mephisto and his Dark Reign of H.A.M.M.E.R. officers. He had access to the Underworld and K'un Lun with Khonshu Guardian henchmen. We had to stop him using Falcon, Daredevil (MK), Magik, Nick Fury and Corvus Glaive.

Mephisto and the Underworld were a oomplete non factor as the Scheme beat us by itself within the first dozen turns. Scheme Twist, a villain, Scheme Twist, Scheme Twist, Master Strike, 2 Villains, Scheme Twist, Master Strike, one more villain and then a final Scheme Twist. We never even really had a chance to get out of the gate as our decks got clogged with S.H.I.E.L.D. officers trying to keep up with the Scheme Twists, and we never really got a good chance to draw any actual heroes we were recruiting and couldn't even touch the Villain's in the city who were consequently a bunch of K'un Lun we couldn't touch if we wanted to due to Circle of Kung Fu needing us to have expensive heroes in our hands.

You really could have just put any Mastermind in there in the game, as even Red Skull would have dominated us with those draws. Probably a bad shuffle on my part, I'll try again in the morning.

Not my best way to end off the night but it was so horrendously lopsided I can't even be that angry about it because there was literally nothing I could have done to stop it.

Til next time, gents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sometimes the Schemes can be boom or bust. After getting the GotG expansion, I played the Kree-Skrull War twice, each game lasting about 15 minutes because I only got one side's cards. Never had a chance to try and balance it.

I do love using the randomizers for this game - it's made it a lot more fun for me, never knowing which team you'll use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
There are definitely times where you just can't win, and times when the decks are set up so that a player would have a tough time losing, too. Sometimes Mystique is the first card from the Villain deck, and you can't stop her from escaping. Other times even Thanos and Apocalypse get squashed.

I hear Alien Encounters makes this far less likely, presumably by making sure its equivalent of Henchmen show up mostly in the early and saving bigger threats for the later game, but it comes at the cost of a longer set up and break down time, which already has many people turned off by this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep playing, I'm sure you'll find a lot more games in between those two extremes! The most important part is having fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.