Subject: Christmas PnP xpacs (such as elders of the sol..) balanced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I posted this in the elders thread, but I don't think anybody actually visits that forum. Thus, I deleted that article and am re-posting it here

Is the general consensus on the Christmas PnP that they are balanced? I'm in the middle of collecting the remaining content for Eclipse, and I typically include everything (variety is the spice of life, etc); however, I don't want to include something which is obviously not in line with the fine tuning of Eclipse's engine. Especially considering that I will have to get arts and crafty with the PnP packs.

Is there something specific I should absolutely avoid for anything beyond one-off holiday plays? The rocket pack comes to mind as something not to always include, but what do I know? I have only played Eclipse 3 times (and out of the 40 or so games I own, Eclipse immediately became one of my favorites), so I defer to you veterans for advice.

Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheppard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also a bit of a completest and use everything available when tabling this game. Maybe if they stop making stuff I'll juggle it a bit to keep it fresh and different game to game.

IMO...
The rockets of celebration were to help balance the missile strategy dominance that existed with just the base game. Can really help an underdog so I always include it.

The Elders of the Solstice is far from broken and I've seem them win and lose as much as any other faction.

The Minions are a wonderful catch up mechanic if you're struggling to get cubes off of your board.

The gift of the elders is fun. That's about it. spices things up a bit maybe.

The galactic north is a mix bag. Definitely not busted. Usually means sacrificing ships early game for a couple vp's... but then you have no ships! It's fine. My least favourite.

The Anticipation of the Elders is a great catch up mechanic. The early game end may be a bit anti-climatic, but besides that I love this one. Make sure you print the sheet that you don't have to cut up, and instead just butt up against the round track.

Hope this helps.
ZJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.