Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that everyone would want to be a neighbor to the Ferengi and the Federation. Everyone would want a non-agressive neighbor, right?
So how should we pick neighbors? Randomly? Give players who choose later a bonus? Have a set order that the races sit in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh I always assumed it would be random. I plan on using a 3'x3' board with the home planets spaced from each corner so definitely there will be some variety to the landscape in terms of who your neighbors are vs. who is diagonal to you.

I'm wondering if there will be a rules packet that will come with the Ferengi/Cardassian expansions that will provide any official guidance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Random....

Or...

You could go by some of the old Galaxy maps.

Round the table Clockwise...Romulans, Klingons, Cardassians, Ferengi...With the Federation in the center. Ok, ok...Feds between the Klingons and the Cardassians.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XL71oEjsVBg/VRldPM_XC8I/AAAAAAAAMD...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At GenCon, you'll be able to purchase the 4-player tourney mat. Looks like everyone is in their respective corners.

The 3 x 3 mat they released last year, home planets are designed to go on the bright nebula parts, but i am not 100% sure if they included more than 3 on that mat. 4 - players wouldn't be tough. Go to your corner! 5 -player...that might require something larger than a 3 x 3 space unless you want First Contact to occur quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
Johdo wrote:
At GenCon, you'll be able to purchase the 4-player tourney mat. Looks like everyone is in their respective corners.

The 3 x 3 mat they released last year, home planets are designed to go on the bright nebula parts, but i am not 100% sure if they included more than 3 on that mat. 4 - players wouldn't be tough. Go to your corner! 5 -player...that might require something larger than a 3 x 3 space unless you want First Contact to occur quickly.
I have that older mat. I has spots for 3 or 4 players. My question though is, the determination of which race is next to who vs who is across from who could mean a lot, so how to we determine that. I would think the Klingons would just love to have the Ferengi and Federation as neighbors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
best way is to determine the possible starting locations,
then determine the player order for the setup,
then players choose their starting location in turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LocutusZero wrote:
Johdo wrote:

I have that older mat. I has spots for 3 or 4 players. My question though is, the determination of which race is next to who vs who is across from who could mean a lot, so how to we determine that. I would think the Klingons would just love to have the Ferengi and Federation as neighbors.

Ahh ok. Sorry, i misunderstood.

In the games we have played, first player chooses their faction, and then picks their spot on the mat. second player chooses theirs, and picks their spot. third player is stuck with remaining faction (for now) and then picks a remaining starting space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Random is going to be the best and most fair way to do it. Simply shuffle up the home worlds and deal one out to each corner where a player will be starting. Flip those over and see who starts where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johdo wrote:
LocutusZero wrote:
Johdo wrote:

In the games we have played, first player chooses their faction, and then picks their spot on the mat. second player chooses theirs, and picks their spot. third player is stuck with remaining faction (for now) and then picks a remaining starting space.

That kind of double screws over the 3rd player. Might I suggest letting players pick their race, then in reverse order let them pick their starting area? At least they get some sort of choice out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doodling out how it would work. In a 3-player game, placement is irrelevant as long as the pre-chosen starting points are perfectly balanced. If you are playing on a square, then maybe someone has a preference on which of the three points they want to start on, but it's not a huge deal. Neither is whether the player 2 is on your left and 3 is on your right or vice versa.

In a 4-player game, assuming the starting points are fair, the second player to choose placement is in the best position. Does he want to be a neighbor to the first player who placed or not? The third player to choose has the next best choice, and players one and four have no choice to make.

In a 5-player game, the third player to place has the best choice. They can choose to be next to the first player, next to the second player, and either next to both or next to neither depending on what the second player did. The second player has the next best choice, followed by fourth, followed by one and five who have no choice.

Edit:In 5-player,fourth might be better than second, actually. Second chooses if player one will be their neighbor or not, and has no idea who their other neighbor(s) will be. Fourth knows for a fact that one person will be their neighbor, and has a choice between two races for their other neighbor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Johdo wrote:
LocutusZero wrote:
Johdo wrote:

That kind of double screws over the 3rd player. Might I suggest letting players pick their race, then in reverse order let them pick their starting area? At least they get some sort of choice out of it.

Yeah. The 3rd player in all the games we have done has never complained (myself included) as turn order changes, and we also do simultaneous turns until First Contact has been made.

The 'Catan' approach as it is isn't a bad idea and might be worth doing when the 4th and 5th players are introduced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the Catan approach? It's been a few years since I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LocutusZero wrote:
What is the Catan approach? It's been a few years since I've played.

If you have 4 players the placement goes..

player 1
player 2
player 3
player 4
player 4
player 3
player 2
player 1

I was implying that to a previous statement about the guy going last getting hosed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. The issue there is that the first player to place really doesn't have a decision to make, since the map is featureless, unlike Catan.
Edit: I think I misread your post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Ranger Rob, Isn't it interesting that the first map you show has the same player faction colors as Ascendancy does? I wonder if GF9 took the colors from it.

arrrh I agree initially with the idea of first choosing factions (everyone will want the new expansion ones at first) and then the positions around the table in reverse order from the faction choice.

robot With The Borg, there seems to be an option to start with them in the game rather than having them randomly show up later. I wonder if someone starts out playing them (I'd guess not). I wonder how its decided where they show up. Once they are available to play, I'd imagine this might effect the game set up as well, unless their appearance is random. Of course, you could modify this if you feel that a paticular faction has an advantage by placing them near that faction,. Or you could place them farther away from everyone so it takes a while for them to attack, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would put the transwarp hub in the middle of the table and all players circled evenly around it, given a big enough table.

Lengthwise, still put them in the middle with half of the players left of it and others to the right of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Horvat
Croatia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Buy a round table with aprox 133 cm diameter(52in).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.