Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Endeavor is a very good Euro game that hits squarely in the light to medium weight game. This fits dead on the "classic Euro" sort of game. I'm super surprised this game isn't in print and isn't an "evergreen" game that constantly sells. It is a shame that more people are not playing this game.

Endeavor has a few moving parts, but they all fit together rather nicely. It is a game you can get better at. It is a little tough to download everything when the game is first taught. The buildings do drive the game some what and it can be really fun to create fun little combinations of actions to score points. There is some area control, some player powers (via buildings), hard decisions (do I buy slaves?), and some player interacting (attacks).

The game has a few different strategies you can go down, but you do tend to play what is available at first and then narrow your strategy. Each game you can try a different strategy. Yet, you need to zig when the others zag. You are not just playing against the board; you are playing against the other players also. You get points where you can and when you can.

I really like how the game fits together. You start out doing a couple of things without a huge impact but as the buildings get better and your can travel further on the board, the impact of your decisions seem to be more powerful. There is an excellent build up to this game.

Even tough this is a blah Euro game, the look of the game can be very interesting to us that love Euro type games. From the outside of the box, to the components inside, everything is designed to fit together nicely and to create an impact in the game. The game may lack the visual appeal of a game full of miniatures, but for a Euro game it jumps off the box.

Overall, I think this is one of my favorite Light/Medium Euro games. I'm astounded that more people do not talk and play this game. You will not be disappointed. Check this game out and add it to your collection.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are classic Euro. I like the way the game works and I like the design of the board. The cards are small enough to be manageable. The tokens and tiles are nice. I didn't have any issues with the components but it doesn't exactly jump off the table. The box art is amazing and I love the look of it.

Rule Book:

The rule book is a complete treat to read and to use during playing the game. The rules are organized well and it makes it such a good reference. Excellent job! There are a few tiny rules more that need to be explained (more than what I am putting in the flow of the game), but the game is fairly light and everything fits together nicely.

Flow of the Game:

This is a VP collecting Euro Game.

1. Build Phase - Each player can build a single building. Your industry level with determine what level of building you can build. Each building will give you a "power" (think advantage) in the game.

2. Growth Phase - This phase adds population markers to your harbor. This is based on your culture score.

3. Salary Phase - You return population based on your finance score.

4. Action Phase - This is the main part of the game and all of the players will take actions.

A. Activate a building: You will move population from your harbor to the building if the building has an available space.

B. Spend a trade token: This is basically a "free action" if you have the token

Depending on which of the two above you choose, you will take the following actions:

i. Ship - population marker to a shipping track and the player gets a trade token
ii. Occupy - You will control certain areas and to move into a new area you must have presence.
iii. Attack - This cost 2 population makers - you then replace a marker with one of yours (take their space!)
iv. Payment - Take a marker off a building and return to harbor (this allows you to use the building again)
v. Draw - Each region has a stack of cards; you take one if you have more population than the number on the card

Slavery - slavery is in the game and you can use it to get ahead, but if it ever gets abolished (which is likely will), then you take a penalty

Should I buy this game?:

If you like light to medium weight Euro games, then this is going to be an instant classic for you. This game is well worth tracking down. I really do like this game a lot and the more I play it, the more I like it. I'm surprised this game isn't talked about more as a classic Euro game. It has been forgotten and it is a crying shame.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1432 Endeavor: Shipping goods for a good time in a very solid Euro game
Great thoughts well expressed. Completely concur. This is a great game that stays under the radar for some reason. Thankfully in my large weekly gaming group, myself and two others have copies. This and Ulm are two near perfect medium weight Euros that can be played relatively quickly but with a lot of nice decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1432 Endeavor: Shipping goods for a good time in a very solid Euro game
The $60+ secondary market price/import price discourages some of us from acquiring this game. There are geeks interested in it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1724639/so-just-be-clear-no...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:
Great thoughts well expressed. Completely concur. This is a great game that stays under the radar for some reason. Thankfully in my large weekly gaming group, myself and two others have copies. This and Ulm are two near perfect medium weight Euros that can be played relatively quickly but with a lot of nice decisions.

I love Ulm also! I think it is b/c it is out of print. Which just boggles my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wessel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"Where are your nuclear wessels?" (Chekov, Star Trek IV)
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
I'm super surprised this game isn't in print and isn't an "evergreen" game that constantly sells. It is a shame that more people are not playing this game.

Funny timing... plans for a reprint were just announced on the BGG Gen Con day 1 live feed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.