Popular Tags: [View All]
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there!

First of all, i love MK, its one of my favorite games ever. Its so unique and brilliant, i simply love it. I mostly enjoy it as a 2p game, but when i played solo i understood why people love it as a solo, it is so AWESOME! I have all the 3 expansions and simply... love the game and i am looking for a game to replace it, cause no game will ever do that.

But recently i was searching for something similar, i mean a fantasy epic adventure game... and guess what, there are not that many out there!

I went out and bought runebound third edition, all things led me to believe it was a fantasy epic adventure... but yeah, it kinds is, but it is FAR from MK in several wayys... i hated the game, the game is not bad, it is a good game, but not for me.

I want a similar game to MK because sometimes i dont have those 3-4 hours to play a game of MK.

My next hunt is spirit island, i already ordered it (the theme is pretty different from MK, but the card play aspect and the low-luck and puzzly aspects give me a similar feel). And i will try to play gloomhaven when someone in the region gets the game (pretty hard to find right now).

So my question is, any suggestion for a game similar to MK in the epic aspect/puzzly/adventure?

Any suggestion is welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've looked. I honestly don't think there's anything like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game. Though mechanically different, there are some similarities thematically and most games of GoK can be concluded in 90-150 minutes. Game covers exploration, includes allies, equipment cards, spell card, level progression and day/night mechanic. One major difference though is that their are DICE in GoK, thus thus there is more randomness in GoK then MK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumps wrote:
Take a look at Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game. Though mechanically different, there are some similarities thematically and most games of GoK can be concluded in 90-150 minutes. Game covers exploration, includes allies, equipment cards, spell card, level progression and day/night mechanic. One major difference though is that their are DICE in GoK, thus thus there is more randomness in GoK then MK.

This game looks pretty similar to LOTR:LCG or its just my impression (plus dice ofc)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The cardplay aspect of Gloomhaven is in the same vein as MK, though not quite as flexible (cards have a top and a bottom half and those halves have default attack and move options), as is the "move around the map and fight things" aspect. Gloomhaven is much more a dungeon crawl and has campaign elements, but some of the "you have many tools and have to choose how to use them" puzzle aspect is preserved and our MK group thinks it a good substitute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just played Spirit Island for the first time, I can say there's a fair amount of interesting overlap. More control, no real exploration, but card combos and actions feel very similar and the special powers from the spirit you play integrate similarly as well. Its cooperative as well, so easily played solo or as a team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as far as the puzzley elements, I've had good luck with other Vlaada Chvatil games. Gloomhaven looks good, haven't played it yet. Most people try to recommend thematically similar games, but if you love Mage Knight it's not just the theme. I also like Race For The Galaxy, that sort of gives me that do a lot with a little puzzle feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Enter something witty here
badge
These aren't really my legs
mbmbmbmbmb
Recent discussion from 1 player guild: Mage Knight Alternatives - A Geeklist to Contribute to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was asking myself this same question a couple years ago.

I ended up with a few games, none of which fit the bill, but all have interesting things to them. I tend to go for the cooperative side of things.

Runebound 2nd edition (with Mists of Zanaga) is probably the closest, but it is definitely a dice-chucker. You gain abilities, items, and roam around fighting things, but there is no element of surprise, and the dice can hose you at any point.

Darkest Night is a game to like or hate for the same reasons as Runebound. Even less exploration and places to go, but the character development is more thematic (each has their own deck, but never get all the abilities in a game) and with the right expansions, you have quests to finish. It is a 2 hour game.

Assault on Doomrock is more abstract, but has exploration, leveling-up, and adds tactical battles. The exploration is in the form of three cards. Each card has a theme going and a few places to visit. You need to move forward fairly rapidly, skipping places and getting surprised by what is next. You have a certain amount of time tokens before you must face a battle, which consists of repeatedly rolling dice and allocating them to your skills. So, dice-chucking, but allocated afterward unlike most Amerithrash games. AoD is notoriously difficult, and has a bit of college humor to it. It is one of my favorites after MK. This is a 2.5 hour game, though.

One Deck Dungeon is a short 1h game that has character development and dice allocation like AoD. You do not explore a world, but it is puzzley once you start gaining different abilities that require this kind of die to activate and give you those kind of dice and powers, which you need for that kind of enemy. I get the same kind of rush a couple times per game that I get from putting everything together in just the right way to conquer a city in MK.

Gloomhaven is also a 2-3 hour game. The setup and take-down is a monster and you play the main battle portion for only about an hour. It plays closer to MK than any other game I've experienced with respect to the cards, but the game is very long-term, campaign-style. I have played about 10 scenarios with one character and am starting to feel the same level of power curve that I get in a 3 hour game of MK.

One game I've been intrigued by but never played is Magic Realm, a 1970's Avalon Hill game. It is seemingly like MK without the card play. It would be incredibly hard to find and the rules are very long. I have not quite finished them. It seems very MK'esque with the interaction of the world and elements in it, but unfortunately, the game seems crazy long too. Maybe more so than MK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:

One game I've been intrigued by but never played is Magic Realm, a 1970's Avalon Hill game. It is seemingly like MK without the card play. It would be incredibly hard to find and the rules are very long. I have not quite finished them. It seems very MK'esque with the interaction of the world and elements in it, but unfortunately, the game seems crazy long too. Maybe more so than MK.

To be fair, there's a free print and play of the game available with updated graphics. But making a quality copy costs almost as much as the game used lol. If I recall, while the interaction resembled Mage Knight, it didn't seem very puzzly when I looked into it, more based on roll-to-hit RPG style stuff. Could be wrong though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My best luck has been with the other Vlaada games: Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Petz, Tash Kalar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hristo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
You may want to check Renegade by Victory Point Games. Is on Kickstarter right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
logris wrote:

To be fair, there's a free print and play of the game available with updated graphics. But making a quality copy costs almost as much as the game used lol. If I recall, while the interaction resembled Mage Knight, it didn't seem very puzzly when I looked into it, more based on roll-to-hit RPG style stuff. Could be wrong though.

I didn't like it at all. The interesting mechanic is secretly writing your 4 actions down, then revealing and executing them. The boring part is that you always write something like "hide", "hide" (in case the first hide fails), "move", "move", which translates to roll some dice then move and die or move and move. If you get to a treasure site you roll some more dice until you find some treasure... You get the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisonfire wrote:
You may want to check Renegade by Victory Point Games. Is on Kickstarter right now.

Thanks for the tip! It's by the designer of one of the Mage Knight expansions too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:

I didn't like it (Magic Realm) at all. The interesting mechanic is secretly writing your 4 actions down, then revealing and executing them. The boring part is that you always write something like "hide", "hide" (in case the first hide fails), "move", "move", which translates to roll some dice then move and die or move and move. If you get to a treasure site you roll some more dice until you find some treasure... You get the idea.

I like Magic Realm, and I like Mage Knight, but they are similar in theme only, and even not so much in that. I think the above misses some of the charm of the game, but its technically accurate. Like Mage Knight, there's risk management.

Unlike Mage Knight, you aren't playing a demi-god and die easily, so hiding is prudent.

I wrote two (long) articles comparing the two games:
https://taogaming.wordpress.com/2016/11/10/comparing-magic-r...

https://taogaming.wordpress.com/2016/11/25/puzzlement-and-wo...

(And have a variety of other MK and MR articles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the OP is looking more for games that play more like Mage Knight, rather than the actual theme/setting?

I don't think Runebound is comparable to MK. Such different games. Sure, the overall theme of powering up in a fantasy world is there, but the gameplay is so drastically different.

I see Runebound as being a fun 2 hour adventure on my table, where you try to strategize, but a lot of it is about just having fun and rolling with how things go.

Mage Knight however, is this deep strategy game, where you are carefully plotting each move.

I don't think there's a game out there like MK, but I'll make two suggestions I didn't see here.

- Perdition's Mouth - this is a dungeon crawler, but this game is all about strategy. If you don't play well you will be out of the game very quickly! When I play a scenario poorly, and then figure out a way past it, its really rewarding. Every decision matters, and it reminds me in this way.

- Mistfall - the jury is still out on this one for me, as I tried playing using the initial rules and just found it so hard. But it reminded me a bit of MK as far as the higher level of strategy required to get things going.

If there was a 90 minute MK lite experience, I"d definitely pick it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered Mistfall: Heart of the Mists because it is often compared to MK and has better rules compared to the original Mistfall. Now i eagerly wait for my package to arrive ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
I like Magic Realm, and I like Mage Knight, but they are similar in theme only, and even not so much in that. I think the above misses some of the charm of the game, but its technically accurate. Like Mage Knight, there's risk management.

Unlike Mage Knight, you aren't playing a demi-god and die easily, so hiding is prudent.
I think Magic Realm works better as a multi-player game than Mage Knight. For solo play, it likely isn't as exciting as Mage Knight.

Magic Realm also deserves the highest weight rating of any board game. It's a very hard game to learn and play. Also, the different 'heroes' are widely different from each other. You basically start from scratch learning how to play with each one effectly.

What both games have in common is the 'sandbox' approach.

The main and most important difference between the two is the randomness: Mage Knight has very little of it and Magic Realm has a lot of it.

P.S.: Imho, there's no game that can replicate the 'full' experience delivered by Mage Knight. At best there are a few games that share some aspects of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the re-skinned Mage Knight in Star Trek Frontiers needs to make this list.

It is very very similar to MK, but somewhat slimmed down (no night and day cycle for example) and offers Star Trek experience. At least somewhat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP was asking for a fantasy epic adventure, i don't think ST:F fits in here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also going to say +1 to more Chvatil. But only cause I have no other answer and I am a big Vlaada fan girl. Chvatil designs like no one else, his games are all different, unlike say Feld who is more consistent. My friend says it is like he will take a genre and then just make the best game possible for it. I have been learning Through the Ages lately. It is another long one, and I am fine playing against myself as it is not a solo. (see my "I'm my own worst enemy" microbadge)

Of course YMMV. Thank you to other poster's suggestions, I am going to have a look at some of them myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RitterFips wrote:
I ordered Mistfall: Heart of the Mists because it is often compared to MK and has better rules compared to the original Mistfall. Now i eagerly wait for my package to arrive ...

I got the original Mistfall because of hearing of MK comparisons too (though its just cards) and really liked it, but it was SO hard. It didn't make it out too often, but I recently got Heart of the Mists and am quite excited to give it a go again, with the more streamlined changes to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Gideon
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
ryusora wrote:
Hey there!

First of all, i love MK, its one of my favorite games ever. Its so unique and brilliant, i simply love it. I mostly enjoy it as a 2p game, but when i played solo i understood why people love it as a solo, it is so AWESOME! I have all the 3 expansions and simply... love the game and i am looking for a game to replace it, cause no game will ever do that.

But recently i was searching for something similar, i mean a fantasy epic adventure game... and guess what, there are not that many out there!

I went out and bought runebound third edition, all things led me to believe it was a fantasy epic adventure... but yeah, it kinds is, but it is FAR from MK in several wayys... i hated the game, the game is not bad, it is a good game, but not for me.

I want a similar game to MK because sometimes i dont have those 3-4 hours to play a game of MK.

My next hunt is spirit island, i already ordered it (the theme is pretty different from MK, but the card play aspect and the low-luck and puzzly aspects give me a similar feel). And i will try to play gloomhaven when someone in the region gets the game (pretty hard to find right now).

So my question is, any suggestion for a game similar to MK in the epic aspect/puzzly/adventure?

Any suggestion is welcome

I recently picked up Sword & Sorcey: Immortal Souls and have Gloomhaven on order. These seem like fairly close games to Mk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stepen Street
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mb
I too really like Mistfall. I think there is a definite comparison to be made. It offers (comparatively basic) movement through a fantasy environment, deckbuilding elements, quite constrained randomness, and also combat that is really quite deterministic. It also offers characters that play very differently. And it solos really well.

But it doesn't feel quite so epic as MK. Apparently the quests in Heart of the Mists go some way to upping the ante. Personally that doesn't bother me so much. It doesn't take so long either.

One thing to note - I found the "introductory" quest so ridiculously punishing that I gave up, and then found that the others were actually fine. Not sure if this happened to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconding some of the Mistfall comparisons! They are a bit mechanically different, but similar in the feel of the game - and challenge/difficulty level!

I couldn't recommend Gloom of Kilforth in quite the same vein - just due to the difference in difficulty... I found GoK becoming rather easy after only a few plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.