Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you have a favorite Minor and Major power card, what are they and why?

------------------

Mine are from the base game, as I have yet to crack open the expansion, but the expansion is fair game to the rest of y'all...

Minor: Call of the Dahan Ways. Effect: replace 1 explorer with 1 Dahan. If you have 2 Moons, you may instead replace 1 town with 1 Dahan.

Dances with Wolves the card! When I first saw this card my friend was playing it and I literally shouted, "I didn't know you could do that!"

Major: The Land Thrashes in Furious Pain. Effect: 2 damage per blight in target land. +1 damage per blight in adjacent lands. If you have 3 Moons and 3 Earth, repeat on an adjacent land.

One game while playing Ocean's Hungry Grasp most of the blight was on my board, and I (of course) couldn't quite do anything about the amassing of forces in the far off lands. Until I played this card 2 rounds in a row with the heightened effect. It was sooooo cathartic to see the previously untouchable lands completely wiped of invaders in such a short time.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Still working with the suggested spirits and their cards before I get a chance to look at the other minor and major power cards. So many options. Love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Renaud
Canada
Mission
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minor - Dark and Tangled Woods. It's highly situational, but you're basically getting two card effects at once when you hit M/J. So many of the expansion minor powers that add tokens are worth considering, though.

Major - Pent-Up Calamity. If you get the stuff to generate tokens easily, this card is absolutely ridiculous. I've never been in a position to get the elemental thresholds and I'm still in awe of how much damage it can throw down in fast for three energy. It's great for Sharp Fangs or anyone who draws a minor power that creates disease or the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
All knowledge is worth having
mbmbmbmbmb
From the main game:

Uncanny Melting. It's not particularly powerful, but the flavor is so unnaturally bizarre that I love it.

The Jungle Hungers. It's cheap for a major power, has no downside if you hit the threshold, and can completely eat most lands.

From the expansion:
Guardian Serpents. For some reason I find the specificity of the beasts amusing, especially when they go prowling around the island.

Strangling Firevine. It's a plant. On fire. That's eating chickens and throwing invaders through the air. What more could you ask for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Corning
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Of course, the caveat with this list is that I love to find and use every power in some way, shape, or form (which I definitely have not accomplished); and some powers are definitely better for some spirits. They're all fun to use, but I guess I can pick...

Minor Powers:
Base Game: Lure of the Unknown. There's nothing like just having some explorer or town get distracted from their normal duties and just wander off into some intriguing land. Bonus points for them finding something unknown in the ocean.

Expansion: Swarming Wasps. More beasts is never a bad thing. Especially useful with Sharp Fangs, but it's still nice to make those beast events work even more in your favor, and occasionally you can even use the "push explorers" part of the power to send those pesky explorers running from your wasps!

So many major powers to love—The Jungle Hungers, Talons of Lightning, Pent Up Calamities... so hard to choose
Major Powers:
Base Game: Wrap in Wings of Sunlight. Teleporting Dahan that go and wreck a ravage, so satisfying to use (especially as Thunderspeaker)!

Expansion: Twisted Flowers Murmur Ultimatums. There's just something about deleting a city or 2 that make this power one that I find hard to pass up whenever I draw it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
Minor
Call of the Dahan Ways.
Hello sailor boy, you free tonight?

Major

Wrap in Wings of Sunlight.
I like getting a stack of Dahan together and then just teleporting them in to kill kill kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Zagieboylo
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Cast Down Into The Briny Deep needs an honorable mention here. Sure, only Ocean's Hungry Grasp and the Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island have any meaningful chance of reaching the elemental threshold. Very thematic, in my opinion. But if they do, the rest of the players will say "wait.... what?!? seriously!?" Also it's basically an automatic win if you haven't already lost, as the attention of the same number of spirits is now spread across a smaller island (quite aside from the issue of probably causing 15+ fear).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Brownsmith
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zahariel wrote:
I think Cast Down Into The Briny Deep needs an honorable mention here. Sure, only Ocean's Hungry Grasp and the Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island have any meaningful chance of reaching the elemental threshold. Very thematic, in my opinion. But if they do, the rest of the players will say "wait.... what?!? seriously!?" Also it's basically an automatic win if you haven't already lost, as the attention of the same number of spirits is now spread across a smaller island (quite aside from the issue of probably causing 15+ fear).

Just make sure everyone has at least one presence elsewhere on the island, FIRST. It is a terrible way to lose otherwise.

By the by, Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares can trigger the threshold. For amazing results.

(For added fun, see if you can repeat the power via another power effect.)

(Not that this is one of my favorite things to do in the game.)

(15+ fear? Try over 60, before the repeat. Did anyone mention I kept breaking the fear mechanic in playtesting? whistle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zahariel wrote:
It's no slouch without the threshold effect, either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Vessenes
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of Unlock the Gates of Deepest Power. Whenever this card comes up, I have a brief look over my power cards so far and try to decide if it's plausible to hit the threshold effect sometime. If you can pull it off, it's almost certainly worth it strategically, and it's definitely worth it thematically. "How will we randomly crush the invaders today???" is kind of amazing.

I've also come around to loving Insatiable Hunger of the Swarm, or as it's become nicknamed in my play group, "Holy F*ck, Locusts!" The sheer amount of damage and fear this card can generate is insane, if you are willing to trade some blight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaosmancer mc
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Anything with cheap defense is amazing in my book, like Drift Down into Slumber, just lay down for a little nap guys, no need to worry about those natives in the woods.

But, I also love the artwork and picture of Absorb Corruption. The feel of slurping up blight so it is no longer effecting the island is soo cool to me. Plus I usually get it with Keeper, so the elements are perfect

Most major powers are amazing, like Sea Monsters, who doesn't love the idea of calling massive sea monsters to the coastal cities to wreck them in the middle of the night?

There are just too many cool things to pick from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keine Angabe
msg tools
mb
My favorite major power is:
Mists of Oblivion: combined with the "each town gets 1 dmg"-power of the forest spirit it can generate up to 4 fear and destroy unlimited amounts of explorers and town's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot remember what my favorite minor card is called but I did really like the Green's card that allowed a spirit to put a presence out. It really helped Earth get going.

As to major powers, I really like Terrifying Presence. 4 fear and the ability to shut down the invaders for a turn is great. Plus I love the artwork on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
Meril wrote:
Mists of Oblivion: combined with the "each town gets 1 dmg"-power of the forest spirit it can generate up to 4 fear and destroy unlimited amounts of explorers and town's

A question on that card, it does one to everything, if you hit the threshold does it do 4 to everything or just gives you three more to kill a couple targets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
All knowledge is worth having
mbmbmbmbmb
Mahuloq wrote:
Meril wrote:

A question on that card, it does one to everything, if you hit the threshold does it do 4 to everything or just gives you three more to kill a couple targets.

https://querki.net/u/darker/spirit-island-faq/#!.7w4g8p0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.