Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Moody
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a while I had been craving playing one of my games like Mansions of Madness or Descent solo, but never could quite justify the setup time for just myself and usually on a week night. I've gotten tired of being in front of screens all days and wanted something more tactile than playing video games. I finally hiked up my pants and started doing some research into solo games that were easy to setup, but also had a campaign.

My first priority purchase was One Deck Dungeon and i'm LOVING it. It's the exact right mix of an easy setup but engaging game play. It either has shorter dungeon runs or longer a campaign. You level up in both of them. It's amazing how much they squeeze into the low amount of components in this game. I've heard this compared to early Rogue RPG games and I think that's a pretty accurate representation of it. There is a good balance of luck with most of the skills you learn being able to alter rolls. I love to setup some good ambient dungeon music on tabletopaudio.com and play for a few hours with a good drink when I have free nights.

In my research I was also given some other suggestions that look very promising but that I haven't tried out yet.I'm looking forward to doing so

Four Against Darkness is a game in which you randomly draw up a dungeon layout based on dice rolls, then travel through the dungeon. You can get the PDF for 8 bucks, which I have purchased, but haven't given it a shot yet.

Quill and more specifically Quill: Shadow and Ink (lovecraft setting) are quasi RPG games in which you are writing letters and rolling dice. Sounds very interesting and am looking forward to trying it. You can get them both by paying whatever price you want (even free).

I also bought Ultra Tiny Epic Kingdoms and have yet to try it out, but I love how small it is and I can play with friends on the go as well as solo.

I have Hero Realms and am eagerly awaiting the campaign to come out for that as well. I love Star Realms and Hero Realms competitively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Also don't forget to join the 1 Player guild!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
Just remember, if you're a solo gamer, you're not alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
DEATH FROM ABOVE
mbmbmbmbmb
I also joined the guild today. I enjoy solo gaming so much I stopped playing video games.

Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tabletopaudio is a new one for me. Thanks for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nemo's War (second edition) is supposed to be an amazing solo game. Jamie from the Secret Cabal absolutely loves it and I don't think he's normally a solo gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Moody
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
Nemo's War (second edition) is supposed to be an amazing solo game. Jamie from the Secret Cabal absolutely loves it and I don't think he's normally a solo gamer.

Yeah, i'm definitely keeping an eye on that one. It looks great! Im also a big Secret Cabal fan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it wasn't really a "declaration" type event (solomode gaming), I just started doing it and neither promote it or go against it, it's just another way to board game.

That said, Kudos to the OP for coming out of the board game closet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Moody
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
For me it wasn't really a "declaration" type event (solomode gaming), I just started doing it and neither promote it or go against it, it's just another way to board game.

That said, Kudos to the OP for coming out of the board game closet.

SOLOPHOBE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would anyone not like to join me in a game of solitaire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other good solo games with low set up time include:

Le Havre
Agricola
Raxxon

Le Havre and Agricola due take a bit of extra work though to expedite set up and clean up. You'll need some small containers for the bits. I picked up some small plastic bowls at the dollar store that work pretty well. I got 20 of them for $5.35 (incl. tax). With the component bowls set-up is less than 5 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Santos
Uruguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest two of my favorite solo games...

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Truth be told... it's an LCG and technically the more cards/expansions you have the better. But I love it... it's very mechanic and easy to play solo AND it's also a great two player coop game. I love LoTRs so maybe I am a little biased on this... but I honestly think it's a very good game.

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
This is my solo travel game. Normally I play LoTRs, but when I am into a SciFi mood OR have to travel somewhere it's the perfect solo game for me.

That said... take into consideration that this games are VERY... VERY unforgiving and they are NOT for everyone.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the club!

I find Victory Point Games have a nice line-up of solo games, some are war themed, some are not. Some of them are in small boxes so ideal for taking out and about. I play solo during lunch at work these days.

I have three boards in one small box and three deck boxes with the cards and counters for each game.

These are currently Zulus on the Ramparts, Ottoman Sunset and Hapsburg Eclipse. I've played Zulus and Ottoman about 30 times each this month!

They are not for everyone though. They are quite random and folks who want something very deep and low luck may find them frustrating.

I have a wide taste in games, I like the thinky stuff too, but have a blast with these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
vir3ns wrote:
I also joined the guild today. I enjoy solo gaming so much I stopped playing video games.

Game on!

Video games can suck it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Quote:
I love Star Realms and Hero Realms competitively.

I love Star Realms solo. Do you?

(Specifically, the Nemesis Beast card found in Star Realms: Gambit Set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hart
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday is generally recommended as a quick, cheap solo deckbuilder. It's my board game with the most recorded plays.

You may also want to look into the "Oniverse" games: Onirim, Urbion, Sylvion, Castellion, and Nautilion. They're all relatively short solo games. My favorite's Sylvion, which is basically a solo card-based tower defense game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Moody
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lzmountaingames wrote:
Quote:
I love Star Realms and Hero Realms competitively.

I love Star Realms solo. Do you?

(Specifically, the Nemesis Beast card found in Star Realms: Gambit Set

Yep, can't get enough of it. I play the app on my phone and am in the star realms competitive league on the BGG forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
Solo gaming is great, I spend most of my time running solo, as I only play 1 - 2 times per month with the Ptarmicon Group here in Yellowknife.

I do have some solo games in my library, Friday, Cthulhu realms and of course coop games like Arkham Horror and Pandemic.

But another important underrated aspect of playing is of course learning rules. While it is hard to be perfectly impartial while playing a solo multi-player game, it does give you an idea of the rules and how gameplay flows. Often coming to the table with some knowledge of the game you are going to play is appreciated by the host.

Check out FB there are a couple of SOLO board game groups out there Board Games for One (BG41) is a good one.

From the North

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theldyrn wrote:
Just remember, if you're a solo gamer, you're not alone.

The Lone Solo Gamers meeple

vir3ns wrote:

Game on!
I did some solo gaming at first, but nowadays, I can't put myself to do all that set up just for myself. Plus, for me, bg-ing was to be face to face with other people.

I have a backlog of vg that already paid for. Many on the cheap. NO point in not going through as many of those as I can. Especially since they're almost all single player, so I'm not at the mercy of waiting for the next game night to get certain games played, which could be a week, or even 6 months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.