Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
...with pieces from the original set or facsimile of same?

I know it's not what is intended... but while I do think I could pull my wife and young daughter into playing Downwood, they don't show the same interest in moving the characters through the dungeon/fighting the baddie scenario of the original game.

Something about the woodland setting and other creatures really fires the imagination especially for the five year old.

Long story short (sorry), how difficult would it be or is it possible to "build" or borrow the pieces necessary to start playing in Downwood?

(Buying both sets, which are often overpriced second hand, and shipping them to Japan ((coming in at 155.00x2 shipped on second hand market)), seems a little much) Help? (And thanks for reading)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
Downwood Tales is $100 on Amazon right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
My local game store has the base for a reasonable price (I think something like $60?)

Level Up Games in South St. Paul. I bet they'd happily ship for a small fee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
You could totally play with Downwood first. In fact, after my wife and I finished all three campaigns, I intended to play back through them by myself. I was going to start with Downwood, then do S&R, and finally Glorm. I was just going to pretend that they had to escape really fast, adventured in Downwood, and finally with their new companions (& minions) went back to defeat Vinestra.

But, I think you really need the base set to play Downwood. You could make up a bunch of components, but I think he intentionally only put 3 heroes into DW so that you couldn't play without the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
Thanks guys, but I think shipping to Japan is the real major problem. I will look up a few of those though (thanks again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
Right, thanks.

Probably hero cards and tokens sure, but how much of the others? Do we need the initiative cards and storyboard tiles?

Which ability cards?
Which search and encounter cards? All of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
lovecraftgeek wrote:
Right, thanks.

Probably hero cards and tokens sure, but how much of the others? Do we need the initiative cards and storyboard tiles?

Which ability cards?

The initiative track and the story track...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
lovecraftgeek wrote:
Right, thanks.

Which ability cards?

Well, if you want to play it "right" with all of the stuff called for during the story, then you just can't do it without the base game. If you just want to make it up as you go and enjoy the expansion, then just print out a hero stat card and use a pawn from another game.

Then jump in and do the best you can. You'll be missing tokens, cards, heroes, abilities, minions, etc. I think there is one chapter that uses one of the boards from S&R. There are times in the story it says you have to use or can't use certain characters. You will just have to ignore all of that. There are times for more than 4 "mice" and you can just make those up as well I guess.

So, yeah you can play with Downwood, but you'll just be making it up as you go. Whatever seems fun to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
Well it's entirely possible to play with facsimile figures, tokens, cards, and possibly map tiles. If however, as I fear whole encounter decks are necessary, that wouldn't be easy to replicate, yet nor would be worth spending $100.00 for.

Which is why the question remains which search and ability cards? How many are we talking about here? 200.00 is a lot to lay out for a little girl's birthday to try it out and possibly fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
lovecraftgeek wrote:

Which is why the question remains which search and ability cards? How many are we talking about here? 200.00 is a lot to lay out for a little girl's birthday to try it out and possibly fail.

If you mean the actual "Encounter" deck, then you don't need that from the base game. It does tell you to mix those together, but the base game cards would spawn rats and roaches that you don't have anyways. We played through almost all of DT without these just because we wanted to play against the new minions.

Or, if you mean the "search" cards (items), then you don't really need those either. There is some shopping done at the start of chapters and you can buy some items. Some of the base game search cards are listed, so you would just ignore those. When we started, we left the base search cards out of the search deck so we had a higher chance of seeing new cards. Then we slowly added them in. You can play without them.

Clearly the expansion is not made to be played as you intend. You can try to make it work and if you have fun, then it was a success. I would like to hear back if you actually do it and let us know how well it worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will probably take way more time and effort to proxy the game than just spending the (at the time of this writing) the $60 to get the actual game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.