Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combined movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This recently came up.
Let's say my ship's Impulse is 1, I have a d6 engine and I'm heading for a planet.
I am three spaces away from the hex inside the gate, and there is a ship there.
Should I roll a 3 I would not be able to get in. So far we've played that you had to stop your movement short, essentially losing a step, then activate movement again.

The question that came up was, can a player :
A) use his Impulse at the same time to add that 1 needed movement?
B) activate another engine marker and use the combined movement?
C) use two markers on the engine from the very start?
D) none of the above is legal
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
D

Impulse and activating an engine are 2 separate actions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the rules said you could activate with multiple markers as a single action, so C should be valid.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Russo
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mb
B and C are valid, you can activate multiple engine/use
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think B is valid. YOu have to decide beforehand not afterwards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe C is the only valid choice here. That said I would certainly allow a player to add his Impulse in an instance like this. This a game heavily relying on theme for us, this would be the fun option. I would not allow him to add a second engine during movement though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
C is absolutely the only valid choice.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Martino
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the dilemma. You can use your impulse whenever you want, can't you? In my game (granted, I've only played once so far), why cant you, for example:

1) mark the engine
2) roll a 3 (taking you to the planet entrance)
3) use the impulse

or

1) mark the engine
2) roll a 3 (taking you to the planet entrance)
3) no impulse left? mark the second engine
4) roll a 1-6

There, you're in. Or am I missing something?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not seeing where "C" is explained as legal. I've been playing under the following (emphasis mine):

Quote:
To use an Engine, the player declares a Move Action with the Engine Outfit. The player spends 1 Armed Marker, placing it on a free Use Space of that Engine. The player rolls the associated die (displayed on the Outfit). The player may then proceed to move spaces up to the result of the roll, minus any Damage Markers present on the Outfit in use.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
Not seeing where "C" is explained as legal. I've been playing under the following (emphasis mine):

Quote:
To use an Engine, the player declares a Move Action with the Engine Outfit. The player spends 1 Armed Marker, placing it on a free Use Space of that Engine. The player rolls the associated die (displayed on the Outfit). The player may then proceed to move spaces up to the result of the roll, minus any Damage Markers present on the Outfit in use.


Huh...I think I've been playing this wrong this whole time. Fortunately activating the engine twice at the same time doesn't happen often but still...must've read the rules for attacking / defending and assumed it worked for all outfits...thanks Kurt!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
You can not combine movement. Under attacking and shields it adds that you can combine arm markers on these outfits, but there is nothing about combining movement. Declaring a move action even says take 1 arm marker. Using Impulse is also a separate move action so you wouldn't be able to combine Impulse with normal movement. So each Move Action is a separate action that you take.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Meares
msg tools
Uberfab wrote:
I don't understand the dilemma. You can use your impulse whenever you want, can't you? In my game (granted, I've only played once so far), why cant you, for example:

1) mark the engine
2) roll a 3 (taking you to the planet entrance)
3) use the impulse

or

1) mark the engine
2) roll a 3 (taking you to the planet entrance)
3) no impulse left? mark the second engine
4) roll a 1-6

There, you're in. Or am I missing something?


Ya, I think you missed where he said there's a ship on his desired action space. And as per the rules if another ship is on a space where you want to do an action you must have the extra 1 movement to move off of the space.

Although I'm honestly not sure if you HAVE to land next to him, then use 2 move to do your action, of if just having an extra 1 movement from any position enough.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bomann
United States
Los Gatos
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
You can move multiple times as separate Actions as long as you have armed markers and energy to do so. Can you not take several Actions per turn, I believe so. So that's not new.

There are several separate Use Spaces on all of the the engine outfits. If you were only allowed one Movement Action per turn there would only be one Use Space, but there is not (refer to missiles, one spot, one Use). So they aren't there as some sort of damage soak but for function.

Per pg 6, "4. Use Spaces: where Armed Markers are placed when using the Outfit to take an Action. Use Spaces limit how many times the Outfit may be used a turn." So multiple Spaces, multiple uses per tern.


BTW, if you watch Cody Miller the games designer play on YouTube, he moves exactly as I am describing. Guess that's fairly definitive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bones67 wrote:
You can move multiple times as separate Actions as long as you have armed markers and energy to do so. Can you not take several Actions per turn, I believe so. So that's not new.

There are several separate Use Spaces on all of the the engine outfits. If you were only allowed one Movement Action per turn there would only be one Use Space, but there is not (refer to missiles, one spot, one Use). So they aren't there as some sort of damage soak but for function.

Per pg 6, "4. Use Spaces: where Armed Markers are placed when using the Outfit to take an Action. Use Spaces limit how many times the Outfit may be used a turn." So multiple Spaces, multiple uses per tern.


BTW, if you watch Cody Miller the games designer play on YouTube, he moves exactly as I am describing. Guess that's fairly definitive.


The answer is D.

Mark no one was disputing multiple move actions in a turn.

The real question was can you carry unused move points from one action to another.

If you need 2 move points , because of an occupied space, and you only have 1 left from a move action , can you do another move action and include the remaining point.

Theme wise it could be seen as two separate burns but the momentum is still there.

Game wise the rules for actions are take an action resolve it , take another action , the only exception is combat where you can declare multiple actions before the attack for both the attacker (weapon actions) and the defender (shield actions). All the other use of actions in the rule book is sequential and all the examples show this, movement also states you do not need to use your full movement

I normally play single move action and no carried over movement , themewise a misjudged burn or last minute maneuver etc.

I had thought about why I never combined rules and vaguely recalled something , a search and turned up this , halfway down page 2.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/18431602#18431602

Cody's ruling : use one Engine space in one single Move action

Jebbie wrote:
From a correspondence with Cody,

Actions

Move action
Scenario: Can you use an Engine Outfit twice in one Move action? Can you add movement points after rolling a die for movement (use another Engine Outfit space)? Can you use Impulse and activate Engine in one Move action?
Supporting Rules:
Quote:
Spending: To spend a Marker, the player moves one Marker from an Armed space on the Ship Mat to a Use Space on an Outfit. The player then rolls the corresponding die for that Outfit and resolves the roll. [p. 6]

Quote:
During a player's Action Phase, that player may use an Engine Outfit to take a Move Action, following the steps outlined in the Action Phase section of the rulebook (See - Action Phase pg. 10). The number rolled on the die corresponds to the number of spaces the player may move her Miniature on the board. Players do not have to use all of the rolled movement, but any unused movement is discarded. (See - Movement pg. 9). [p. 7]

Quote:
Move Actions: Both Engine Outfits and the ship's Impulse value (listed on its Ship Mat) can be used to take Move Actions.
Movement: Players gain Movement by taking a Move Action. Movement may be spent to move the ship. Each point of Movement moves a ship one space on the game board. When taking a Move Action, players do not have to spend all the movement. However, any unspent movement is discarded when the Move Action ends.

Quote:
See below Geekmail for Cody's comments.

Ruling: No to all. You can either use Impulse, or use one Engine space in one single Move action.


Cheers, -Cody
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Martino
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait...so now I'm confused on how movement is supposed to work. We've been playing (for example):

1) move 1 armed marker to 1 engine outfit space.
2) roll, and move.
3) repeat 1 & 2
4) use Impulse if needed/wanted

Is this not correct? I am sort of getting the impression now that you have to use both of the outfit spaces at once in order to get a two-dice roll move. And you may (or may not) be able to use impulse if you're using your engine outfit (?).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uberfab wrote:
Wait...so now I'm confused on how movement is supposed to work. We've been playing (for example):

1) move 1 armed marker to 1 engine outfit space.
2) roll, and move.
3) repeat 1 & 2
4) use Impulse if needed/wanted

Is this not correct? I am sort of getting the impression now that you have to use both of the outfit spaces at once in order to get a two-dice roll move. And you may (or may not) be able to use impulse if you're using your engine outfit (?).


That is correct 1+2 is an action as is 3. As per Cody's confirmation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Russo
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mb
they state that it is not possibile to combine in one move two movement actions.

let's say I want to reach a planet that is 10 steps away. I would like to combine two movement rolls at once, to be sure if I can reach the destination.

The reality is I can only try first one die roll, move and only afterward my position is fixed, try to go to my final destination.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Serpentium wrote:
they state that it is not possibile to combine in one move two movement actions.

let's say I want to reach a planet that is 10 steps away. I would like to combine two movement rolls at once, to be sure if I can reach the destination.

The reality is I can only try first one die roll, move and only afterward my position is fixed, try to go to my final destination.


That is correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
Bones67 wrote:
You can move multiple times as separate Actions as long as you have armed markers and energy to do so. Can you not take several Actions per turn, I believe so. So that's not new.

There are several separate Use Spaces on all of the the engine outfits. If you were only allowed one Movement Action per turn there would only be one Use Space, but there is not (refer to missiles, one spot, one Use). So they aren't there as some sort of damage soak but for function.

Per pg 6, "4. Use Spaces: where Armed Markers are placed when using the Outfit to take an Action. Use Spaces limit how many times the Outfit may be used a turn." So multiple Spaces, multiple uses per tern.


BTW, if you watch Cody Miller the games designer play on YouTube, he moves exactly as I am describing. Guess that's fairly definitive.


The answer is D.

Mark no one was disputing multiple move actions in a turn.

The real question was can you carry unused move points from one action to another.

If you need 2 move points , because of an occupied space, and you only have 1 left from a move action , can you do another move action and include the remaining point.

Theme wise it could be seen as two separate burns but the momentum is still there.

Game wise the rules for actions are take an action resolve it , take another action , the only exception is combat where you can declare multiple actions before the attack for both the attacker (weapon actions) and the defender (shield actions). All the other use of actions in the rule book is sequential and all the examples show this, movement also states you do not need to use your full movement

I normally play single move action and no carried over movement , themewise a misjudged burn or last minute maneuver etc.

I had thought about why I never combined rules and vaguely recalled something , a search and turned up this , halfway down page 2.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/18431602#18431602

Cody's ruling : use one Engine space in one single Move action

Jebbie wrote:
From a correspondence with Cody,

Actions

Move action
Scenario: Can you use an Engine Outfit twice in one Move action? Can you add movement points after rolling a die for movement (use another Engine Outfit space)? Can you use Impulse and activate Engine in one Move action?
Supporting Rules:
Quote:
Spending: To spend a Marker, the player moves one Marker from an Armed space on the Ship Mat to a Use Space on an Outfit. The player then rolls the corresponding die for that Outfit and resolves the roll. [p. 6]

Quote:
During a player's Action Phase, that player may use an Engine Outfit to take a Move Action, following the steps outlined in the Action Phase section of the rulebook (See - Action Phase pg. 10). The number rolled on the die corresponds to the number of spaces the player may move her Miniature on the board. Players do not have to use all of the rolled movement, but any unused movement is discarded. (See - Movement pg. 9). [p. 7]

Quote:
Move Actions: Both Engine Outfits and the ship's Impulse value (listed on its Ship Mat) can be used to take Move Actions.
Movement: Players gain Movement by taking a Move Action. Movement may be spent to move the ship. Each point of Movement moves a ship one space on the game board. When taking a Move Action, players do not have to spend all the movement. However, any unspent movement is discarded when the Move Action ends.

Quote:
See below Geekmail for Cody's comments.

Ruling: No to all. You can either use Impulse, or use one Engine space in one single Move action.


Cheers, -Cody

Thank you, this definitely solves it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.