Hide
15 Posts

The Godfather: Corleone's Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Complete a job card, but not the task? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Patterson
msg tools
This came up in my last game. Cards like Kill a Thug or Figure, etc...what if there is no thug on the board? Can you complete the job card and not do the task? Or is the task forced?

I can see strategically that you may not want to remove an opponents figure if it will change the turf...but is it forced?

We played it as forced, but there were complaints because people were able to complete jobs they didn't want to, or couldn't because there was no figure to remove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karthik Setty
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we play is if it is possible then it is mandatory but if the task cannot be done the job can still be finished, would be curious to know the official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karthiksetty wrote:
The way we play is if it is possible then it is mandatory but if the task cannot be done the job can still be finished, would be curious to know the official ruling.
i believe i read somewhere that the text was "optional"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
karthiksetty wrote:

Not in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
John_VW wrote:
karthiksetty wrote:

Not in the rulebook.
then maybe it was here on BGG, in a post...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
remus wrote:
John_VW wrote:
karthiksetty wrote:

Not in the rulebook.
then maybe it was here on BGG, in a post...

Search "Optional" in the BGG TG:CE forums only returns this thread which doesn't have an official answer and the consensus is that it's not optional.

Also, the rules state you execute the action, so I don't think it would ever be optional. The only question I have on this is if you cannot carry out the action (no one to kill, for example), if you're allowed to play the job card. Thematically, I would think not. It's like a hitman getting paid for a hit he never executes. That said, it would be good to hear an official ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Psykotikp wrote:
This came up in my last game. Cards like Kill a Thug or Figure, etc...what if there is no thug on the board? Can you complete the job card and not do the task? Or is the task forced?

I can see strategically that you may not want to remove an opponents figure if it will change the turf...but is it forced?

We played it as forced, but there were complaints because people were able to complete jobs they didn't want to, or couldn't because there was no figure to remove.
Those are not called tasks, they are called "abilities" (as described in the rulebook). You have the ability to kill a thug or take a $5 bill, and as an "ability" then you are NOT forced to carry it out to complete the job.

Just like you can still complete a job that provides $5 even if there's no $5 bills (you do the next best thing) you can also complete a job that allows you to kill a thug even if there's none to be killed.

On a related note: can you "choose" not to exert your ability? I say yes.

Edit: The wording of the example on page 17 is very clear:
Quote:
They take a $5 card into their hand and are able to use the Front ability of any Business on the board.
Able, not required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Patterson
msg tools
You're right, I misinterpreted the word "ability". I guess it doesn't seem right that you receive the reward if you chose not to use the ability. As someone stated above, its like getting paid and not doing the hit. It would seem more fair that you complete the job and simply suitcase the card without the reward. I supposed it could be house-ruled either way. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
I can help with an official answer to this, as I spoke to CMON about it:

- If you perform a job, you must take the rewards and perform the actions if able.
- You may complete any job if you have the resources it may demand. If you are unable to claim the rewards or perform the ability, then you simply don’t - but that doesn't prevent you from playing the job.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Szwanke
Poland
Ząbki
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
OK Pelvidar - that is interesting, we are played that You must execute the job.

But if You don't perform the ability - You can't put in the suitcase because it is not "completed Job card" as the rulebook says, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Padre W wrote:
OK Pelvidar - that is interesting, we are played that You must execute the job.

But if You don't perform the ability - You can't put in the suitcase because it is not "completed Job card" as the rulebook says, right?

You must perform the ability if you can. If you can't perform some part of it, because it would be impossible to, that doesn't stop you from competing it, and you still put it in your suitcase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Szwanke
Poland
Ząbki
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Pelvidar wrote:
You must perform the ability if you can. If you can't perform some part of it, because it would be impossible to, that doesn't stop you from competing it, and you still put it in your suitcase.

Semantics. For me when You can't finish the job just wait for the right moment and then You get money and card in to suitcase.

But thanks for the "new look" it is interesting, maybe I give it a chance and we will see how the game goes.

Of course if You can't execute the action You don't get the money. So only spending resources to get card in to suitcase for final scoring...

...hhmmm, maybe, we will see.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, I'm not proposing my personnel ideas, or saying what I think is best for you - I'm just clarifying how the rule officially works. Any individual gamer is free to play the game however they like. That's the beauty of board games - you can make up anything you like - so play how it suits your group best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Szwanke
Poland
Ząbki
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Yes, of course.
Just to be clear, I wasn't want to be rude or try to offend You, with my previous post

Little off-top: Waiting to watch You with The Expanse board game

Best Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense taken

I don't own The Expanse yet, but I played it at PAX Unplugged, and would like to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.