BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What are your top 5 list of Board Game Reviewers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
My list of reviewers that I like to watch are as follows.

(1) Tom Vasel - His taste in games seems to match mine very closely.
(2) Rahdo - although we don't always see eye to eye on games (He is a care bare and dislikes "take that" games, he seems up front and honest about the short comings, faults and also their the strengths of games. I just find his reviews to be pleasant to listen to in the background also.
(3) Man vs. Meeple - I disagree with quite a few of the games they recommend but wow their videos with graphics are really professionally done.
(4) No Pun Included - They have this zany humor that I like and I find the two in the videos to be an adorable couple. Yeah!! I said it.

(5) Shut up & Sit down - I often disagree with them also and they tend to like less thematic games and lean towards drier Euro games. However, at times they are funny also. Entertaining videos.

** Honorable Mention: Board to Death: Also like the interaction between the couple that does the reviews. Videos are concise and they give pros/cons.

** Board game corner: Very logical, clear, cogent statements regarding the games.

In conclusion, In writing this list, I realized that I watch the videos to be informative but also to be entertained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 No Pun Included - I tend to agree with them, really like their analysis of games (it's clear when you watch that they've played the games a few times at least), love that it's a male/female team (I definitely prefer it when they're both in the videos), and most importantly they make me laugh.

d10-2 Shut Up & Sit Down - I don't usually agree with them but they're quirky and entertaining. Paul Dean is an amazing writer - I love his written reviews. I disagree that they usually like less thematic games and euros. To me it seems like they enjoy games where there's a lot of interaction among players at the table, and they seem to like lighter games. I like the way they separate the games they play into the podcasts, written reviews, and video reviews. Lately though, with their reviews coming out before games are even available, I'm not sure I like where they're headed.

d10-3 Rahdo - I like the 2 player perspective, though I've found that I like more interaction and take-that in my games than he's used to. I find his mind flow run throughs helpful to see what kind of decisions there are in a game.

d10-4 The Dice Tower - I don't usually agree with their tastes, but like the top 10 videos and their sheer scope in videos they churn out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Rahdo: I find his runthroughs infectious as well as his love for games.
2 Starlit Citadel - I thought they had the best production. Each video was well filmed and thought out and opinions worth listening to. Shame they stopped.
3 Shut up and Sit Down - I like the more comedic element to their reviews and it helps break up what can be a monotonous runthrough of a game.
4 Dice Tower. They can be really hit and miss in terms of quality but they review more than anyone else and post a lot of stuff. I usually skip straight to the opinion part of the reviews and will skip anything that's not reviewed by the main three.

I occasionally watch other reviewers but not enough to warrant a place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb

2. adm1
3. adm1
4. adm1
5. adm1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
arthurcucumber wrote:
1 Rahdo: I find his runthroughs infectious as well as his love for games.
2 Starlit Citadel - I thought they had the best production. Each video was well filmed and thought out and opinions worth listening to. Shame they stopped.
3 Shut up and Sit Down - I like the more comedic element to their reviews and it helps break up what can be a monotonous runthrough of a game.
4 Dice Tower. They can be really hit and miss in terms of quality but they review more than anyone else and post a lot of stuff. I usually skip straight to the opinion part of the reviews and will skip anything that's not reviewed by the main three.

I occasionally watch other reviewers but not enough to warrant a place.

I totally agree, I was a big fan of the Starlit citadels. Very informative and great rules breakdown. I like accents in general and their Canadian accents were cool. They were also easy on the eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys have the time to keep up with five?

Pete (barely has time to keep up with one)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play at low player count (2p and solo) and I favor playthroughs:
- Rahdo
- Ricky Royal
- Ant Lab Games
- slickerdrips (a.k.a Jim Shears)
- Marco Wargamer
- John Gets Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elitusprime
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dice Tower is where I go to keep up on news and learn about new stuff.

Everyone else I watch on a case by case basis if they have content about a game I am thinking about picking up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lause
msg tools
Dice Tower, Rahdo, Shut Up and Sit Down, No Pun Included, Drive Thru, Pair of Dice Paradise....All are terrific and dedicated and thorough reviewers who have something significant to say about a game even when I disagree with a conclusion...or several.

But I'd like to give a Special Shout Out to Jon Gets Games here.
His reviews are always clear, concise, detailed, and very articulate.
If you aren't watching him regularly, start with one of his Monthly Vlogs and that will give you a nice introduction.
Seriously...He is a real professional!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Whoever likes my favorite games.
2. Whoever trashes the games I don't like.
3. Whoever can't stand solitaire games.
4. Whoever throws games off the roof.
5. Whoever isn't a shill for Kickstarter companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1=. Rahdo, Marcowargamer. Rahdo for helping me learn games and being a great source for two player games. Marco for good coverage of the genre I care most about.

3. DriveThru Review, for having better taste in games than Tom Vasel (i.e. my tastes are closer to Joel's)

4. Tom Vasel, who deserves a lifetime achievement award for services to the games industry. I wonder how many thousands of folks he has helped get into or deeper into the hobby? He also is the inventor of Vasel's Law.

5. No Pun Included. Funny videos, compelling viewing, talented folks. They should have a show. Oh, they do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three favourites and I figure that's enough videos to watch, so I don't usually venture out of that comfort zone. In no particular order, the three are:

Rahdo
Joel Eddy (Drive Thru Review)
Zee Garcia (my favourite of the Dice Tower guys both on a personal level and in his taste in games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Koneko: A PvP worker placement game set in a very Feline Feudal Japan........
badge
Celtic Connection Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo and Dice Tower take equal first place for me. They're very different beasts so they fill very different roles. Rahdo doesn't like being considered a reviewer and I don't tend to watch him for that reason, at least, not for game mechanics. Rather I find Rahdo is a reviewer of emotional and intellectual response to a game. Like no other Rahdo is able to help understand what it feels like to play a game, that's the magic of his style. Whilst technically it can be counted as reviewing (hence why I put him on my list) it's not in the typical sense of actively reviewing the dry aspects such as box, art and rule quality. These things only become relevant to Rahdo if they impact his direct enjoyment of the game itself.

Dice tower of course is the primary go-to source for all things board gaming and I enjoy all 4 primary reviewers. I include Melody in this group as she is often involved and whilst she hasn't done much solo work as of yet, she brings something to the reviews that the others don't, a more emotional response. Of the DT crew, she is the one who has the most Rahdo like tendencies, an ability to make you understand what a game feels like to play as opposed to how the game plays, which is the purview of Tom, Sam and Zee.

I also like Wurfel reviews. German but with excellent English. I believe they are a couple (m/f) but regardless of that, they are passionate about games and I enjoy watching their videos.

There is one other I recently discovered but I forget the channels name now. Its a husband and wife team in Brazil, again they have excellent English and I enjoy listening to them talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Myself.

I've been very disappointed with reviewers, how shallow their reviews are, and how different their opinions are to mine. All the games I purchased after listening to them I disliked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
blackmeeple wrote:
1=. Rahdo, Marcowargamer. Rahdo for helping me learn games and being a great source for two player games.

Be careful, he makes a lot of rules mistakes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon van Oorschot
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Jon Gets Games - Very good at getting his points across and gives good honest opinions on games.

2. Dice Tower - Rarely in complete agreement with them, but their output are amazing. Tom Vasel is also the best at quick rules overviews, that give you a solid idea of a game.

3. Man vs. Meeple - Top quality and David has seriously good taste in games (which is the love for the same games I love... ).

4. Gaming Knights - A small youtube channel with a group of british gamers. They run through a game and their end of game discussions are great. Quality not great though.

5. Game Boy Geek - Dan has the same love for lighter gateway friendly games as I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
blackmeeple wrote:
1=. Rahdo, Marcowargamer. Rahdo for helping me learn games and being a great source for two player games.

Be careful, he makes a lot of rules mistakes!

Yes, his "goofs," he often points out that he has likely got a bunch of rules wrong!

The hardest part for me of learning a new game is to get the overall sense and flow of a game. Individual rules, fine, but what's the bigger picture? How does it flow? How does it hang together? What is the significance of this rule in the wider gameplay?

After watching Rahdo I then read the rules cover to cover and that clears up any goofs, and for a more complex game I often check out the rules section for the game on bgg or check for an FAQ.

Rahdo is a big help here to get the general picture of a game which I think is a weakness of many rules books. The rules make so much more sense to me when I understand the game's main cogs, thanks to Mr Ham.

Actually, GMT's playbooks are a good help here too. They better explain, what it all means?

Even with all those steps to learning a game I still discover over time rules I have been getting wrong!

Like with Ottoman Sunset, when reading the rules for its sister game, I reread the same rule that a roll of 1 always fails, a 6 always wins - regardless of any dice roll modifiers. So nothing is ever certain one way or the other. I remember reading that for Ottoman but completely forgot about it while playing!

Actually I must give credit to Ottoman Sunset and Hapsburg Eclipse. After the first play or two there is hardly any need to check the rules or look stuff up (ignoring my goof!). I'm playing the combined co-op game today. Finely polished games in my opinion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Steve Broadfoot wrote:

I also like Wurfel reviews. German but with excellent English. I believe they are a couple (m/f) but regardless of that, they are passionate about games and I enjoy watching their videos.

I like them to, and their contributions to Boardgame Blender are sorely missed. They are, however, from Estonia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Koneko: A PvP worker placement game set in a very Feline Feudal Japan........
badge
Celtic Connection Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
Steve Broadfoot wrote:

I like them to, and their contributions to Boardgame Blender are sorely missed. They are, however, from Estonia.
Oh yeah? Groovy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slightly Alive
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1: Rahdo Runs Through.
Far and away, my favorite. Most of my gaming is two-players with my wife, and we prefer mechanically clever but non-confrontational Euro games. Rahdo' tastes couldn't be more in line with mine. And, as others have noted, while he gets rules wrong all the time, simply seeing the flow of how a game plays is unique and invaluable.

2: Jon Gets Games.
I found Jon when I wanted a review for a game Rahdo hadn't looked at yet. Halfway through that first video, I subscribed. His presentation is just excellent. Especially his format of Rules/Likes/Dislikes(!)/Overall Thoughts. It certainly doesn't hurt that his tastes, again, lean heavily toward the Euro games I prefer.

3: Heavy Cardboard.
The games I wish I had time to play. Their podcast keeps me up on the heavy, long games I hope to circle around to some day. I manage to buy and play one or two a year, and have a good track record of finding the right ones because Heavy Cardboard helped vet them for me.

4: The Secret Cabal.
More of a podcast for entertainment than reviewers I turn to for opinions. But the podcast is often entertaining, and between all the hosts, they manage to not only discuss their joy in games I want to play, but they expose me to games I'd otherwise never notice.

5: Game Boy Geek.
My newest reviewer to tune into. Still sussing out his tastes, but some recent Gen Con list videos look like he could be a good go-to for us. And his energy is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calandale, Gilbert Collins, Joel Eddy, Quinns, Rahdo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel, Tom, and SU&SD. slickerdrips being a new favorite. Few reviewers really qualify as such. Rahdo and MvM are essentially endorsers versus reviewers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Myself.

I've been very disappointed with reviewers, how shallow their reviews are, and how different their opinions are to mine. All the games I purchased after listening to them I disliked.

Heavy Cardboard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
1) Board Game Replay
2) SU&SD
3) Drive Thru Review
4) FatNastyNerd

Not really a fan of Dice Tower reviews, but their Top 10's are entertaining. There are a few others I watch sometimes, but don't stand out too much.

Board Game Replay's format is what makes it stand out for me. Time lapsed full playthough, with highlights/explanations/thougths in between. Then a detailed group discussion at the end, with more highlights of past moments/plays. It must take a lot more time to edit vs. a traditional talking head review with some pics and graphics.

SU&SD is very unique in all the extra bits & effort they put into their reviews. Very entertaining.

Drive Thru Review is a traditional talking head review, but he his thoughts are very detailed. My favorite of the talking heads.

FatNastyNerd has a very similar format to Board Game Replay. Again, I really like this style, but Board Game Replay has them beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mörk
Sweden
Luleå
Norrbotten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TBH, I kinda only listen to one as of the last year or so and that is Heavy Cardboard.

I just can´t trust podcasts/ who played a game once to have a good enough feeling for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.