Popular Tags: [View All]
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the all the 3-5 player maps, and only the 6-8 player Earth map. The extra 6-8 player map packs don't seem to be available in the store or on deck to be reprinted. There are rules for using the brain cylinders and now annihilation markers on the base maps, which makes me wonder about rules for the glaciers on the 6-8 player map.

The simple rule I was thinking would be that glaciers can only be placed on outside edges of the map, but I'm thinking that will have some balance issues.

Anyone have some better ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the basic rule is "all start areas get a Glacier in the first Doom Phase, each Doom Phase after that, the First Player adds two Glaciers to areas with Glacier icons".

So, you need a list of areas. Include all the faction glyph areas, then add areas along the north or south of the board till you've got another 10-12 areas. Should be plenty.

Maybe even make it a coop step before the game, with players "drafting" which areas they want somehow.

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hultquist
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the 6-8 player maps (which was a lot easier for me than it'll be to get 6-8 players ) and was just reading up on the Primeval Earth rules last night in hopes of trying out the whole glacier thing this weekend. Here are a couple of things I'd add to the advice already given:

The 6, 7, and 8-player versions of the Primeval Earth map all have exactly 12 glaciers. So if you want to 'glacierize' the 6-8 player regular Earth map, I'd also stick with 12.

For what it's worth, at 6-8 players, every faction's starting area has a glacier icon EXCEPT Crawling Chaos. I don't know if this is a game balance decision, or just coincidental.

Your instinct about glaciers on the edges of the map is generally spot-on. Other than two ocean spaces (the ones that make up the right-hand border of the map), all the top and bottom spaces on the map have glacier icons at 6-8 players. So it might not be a bad idea to duplicate that when putting glaciers on regular Earth.

Since you have the normal-sized version of Primeval Earth, I'd suggest trying to lay out glaciers on the normal 6-8 player Earth map to get about the same coverage and spacing. I think the 5-player version of Primeval Earth has 11 glaciers on it, so you should be able to get a good idea of where you might want to think about putting them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Mankinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
The Hultquist wrote:
For what it's worth, at 6-8 players, every faction's starting area has a glacier icon EXCEPT Crawling Chaos. I don't know if this is a game balance decision, or just coincidental.

I'm pretty sure this is just a misprint, because there certainly is a Glacier icon on CC's starting area (Upper Mu) on all configurations of the regular Primeval Earth Map and I can't imagine why it shouldn't be there on 6-8 players.

Also, there are exactly 12 Glacier icons on the 5-player Primeval Earth Map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hultquist
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Villain wrote:
The Hultquist wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is just a misprint, because there certainly is a Glacier icon on CC's starting area (Upper Mu) on all configurations of the regular Primeval Earth Map and I can't imagine why it shouldn't be there on 6-8 players.

Also, there are exactly 12 Glacier icons on the 5-player Primeval Earth Map.

I don't think it's a misprint - neither side of the 6-8 player map has a glacier in Crawling Chaos' starting area. A fourth area gets added to Mu on those maps (the Dark Tower, which sits to the left of Upper Mu, Central Mu, and Lower Mu) and the glacier from Crawling Chaos' starting area moves over there so there are still exactly 2 glaciers on the Mu continent (like the 3-5 player map).

Also, I have the 6-8 player maps from the OS2 printing, so I'm guessing that if it were a misprint, a backer, player, or someone at PG would have caught it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kingsbury
Canada
sherbrooke
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want, I could sell you mine.
They send me the wrong map, primeval instead os Celano.
I was to use an extra gate set (that order by mistake this time)
painted in ice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dierks
United States
El Sobrante
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it's a misprint. It just means that if CC is not in the game, Mu doesn't get iced over.

In the first doom phase on Primeval, all starting players locations get iced over (whether their starting area has a glacier or not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Mankinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Ah, I didn't realize Upper Mu had been split into two areas on the 6-8 player map. Now it makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.