Hide
12 Posts

Apocrypha Adventure Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Multiple investigation steps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
raven demarco
msg tools
I noticed that it says "(repeat support and investigate steps as desired)" on the gameplay aid.

On pg 12 under investigate it says "After the investigation is over, you may return to the support or investigate step if cards allow you to do so...".

Does this mean that I can play an omen at the end of my investigate step (after confronting a card) to investigate again (provided that I don't begin the sanctify, transfer, or end step)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
I'm having trouble with this as well- it doesn't seem like we have enough cards in the clock to win with just one investigate per turn, but the rulebook seems pretty clear that you can only double investigate if something specifically says you can, and I'm not seeing any cards which would explicitly allow us to double dip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Richmond
United States
Auburndale
MA
flag msg tools
If you have an omen in hand, draw another from the clock, you can sacrifice both omens on your turn in order to investigate twice.

Note that you usually don't have to investigate on your turn. In some circumstances, it's better to hold onto the omen you draw for another turn, or give it to a more ready saint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
malcolm reynolds
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, (I missed this in my first read), if you flip an Omen in an Investigation, you draw it and flip the next card (getting a "free" investigate, though it still uses any relevant powers from the first Omen).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. B. M.
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keterys wrote:
If you have an omen in hand, draw another from the clock, you can sacrifice both omens on your turn in order to investigate twice.

Note that you usually don't have to investigate on your turn. In some circumstances, it's better to hold onto the omen you draw for another turn, or give it to a more ready saint.

Where are you getting this? In a typical Investigation step, after the resolution of it (either Avoid or completing the Confrontation), unless a power you use or on a threat you confronted gives you another Investigation, there's nothing I could find in the rules that lets you choose to play a second Omen to Investigate again. You would simply go on to the next step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Richmond
United States
Auburndale
MA
flag msg tools
Relevant Rules: "When an investigation is completed, you may go to Support or Investigate again if a card allows you to."
"you typically must play a card to investigate this way."

I absolutely grant that's not the most clear. Sacrificing an omen lets you go into the Investigate step from Support: this rule allows you to go back into Support after your investigation and play any cards you might like, then once again sacrifice an omen to Investigate.

We would not have given saints Omens in their decks if we did not intend you to be able to use them for investigation. It would be difficult to finish many missions without those additional (~4 * saints) investigates.

- Keith Richmond, Apocrypha Designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Keterys wrote:
Relevant Rules: "When an investigation is completed, you may go to Support or Investigate again if a card allows you to."
"you typically must play a card to investigate this way."

I absolutely grant that's not the most clear. Sacrificing an omen lets you go into the Investigate step from Support: this rule allows you to go back into Support after your investigation and play any cards you might like, then once again sacrifice an omen to Investigate.

We would not have given saints Omens in their decks if we did not intend you to be able to use them for investigation. It would be difficult to finish many missions without those additional (~4 * saints) investigates.

- Keith Richmond, Apocrypha Designer

This is confusing, because the game aids mention the rule and I don't remember it within the rules. So, you can just keep using your Omen's, if you want to, to keep investigating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Harrington
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. It's doubly confusing since the power on an omen says it must be played during investigate, but the rules say you can't even go to investigate unless a card allows you. It took me a while to wrap my head around that.

The way I think of it is that you always do Support and Investigate (and can always go back after finishing a previous Investigation), but unless you play a card in Investigate phase that allows you to actually Investigate you do nothing. This makes more sense to me in my head, not sure if interpreting like this will lead me astray in any other cases though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Under that interpretation, you can repeat support/investigation steps as many times as you want. You can't actually perform an investigate action unless you play a card that allows it.

Here's my confusion on these rules:

"An investigation might allow you another Investigate step, which you can do after you complete the first one; in the unusual case where you are given more than one extra investigation during the same Investigate step, the extras all combine into a single extra investigation."

What does "the extras all combine into a single extra investigation" mean? Does that mean you are limited to 2 investigations on a turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Neppel
msg tools
mb
I'm guessing it basically means you don't double dip.

A generic situation I can think of... perhaps a location has a power of Win vs. a Rage threat, Investigate again. And then perhaps you encounter a Rage monster threat that has this power, Win: You may investigate again.

In this situation, it means you just get ONE more investigate. You don't have a "stacked" investigate on the backburner.

I'm positive this is not meant to limit you to 2 Investigates per turn. Each omen is meant to equate to one investigation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
motrax78 wrote:
I'm guessing it basically means you don't double dip.

A generic situation I can think of... perhaps a location has a power of Win vs. a Rage threat, Investigate again. And then perhaps you encounter a Rage monster threat that has this power, Win: You may investigate again.

In this situation, it means you just get ONE more investigate. You don't have a "stacked" investigate on the backburner.

I'm positive this is not meant to limit you to 2 Investigates per turn. Each omen is meant to equate to one investigation.

Before playing, this bit of text didn't make sense to me.

After playing, I totally agree with this interpretation and it makes sense in that context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK that's clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.