Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know in start of turn missions, the player with the fewest points gets the mission if two players solve it at the same time. Is this also true of regular missions? So two players achieve a survey mission in the same turn, does it go to the player with the fewest points?

How do you determine who goes first? Does it matter? Maybe not if the above question doesn't depend on who comes first in a turn.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn order initiative also goes to the player with fewest points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is where it's important to distinguish years and turns. Start-of-year missions can be completed by multiple players at once, as you know. Other missions are only completed on a particular player's turn, which means only one player can complete such a mission first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
This is where it's important to distinguish years and turns. Start-of-year missions can be completed by multiple players at once, as you know. Other missions are only completed on a particular player's turn, which means only one player can complete such a mission first.

OK, but if Jordan is right, the player who has fewer points will be GOING first in a turn, and thus it seems to amount to the same thing -- that he will get there first and get the mission. Besides doesn't it say somewhere in the rules that the missions are "taken" at the end of the year? Or does it say turn. Yes that is a little confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:

Hey where in the manual is this? I'm having trouble finding it. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Born-of-Ashes wrote:

Hey where in the manual is this? I'm having trouble finding it. Thanks.
See page 14 under Turn Order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Besides doesn't it say somewhere in the rules that the missions are "taken" at the end of the year?

Mission cards are taken as soon as their conditions are met. For example, as soon as you have the first probe in Earth Orbit, you take the Artificial Satellite mission card. Since you can only maneuver your probe into Earth Orbit on your turn, this mission is completed during your turn.

Some missions have conditions that can only be met at the start of the year, like Space Station, so those mission cards are collected at the start of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
Besides doesn't it say somewhere in the rules that the missions are "taken" at the end of the year?

Mission cards are taken as soon as their conditions are met. For example, as soon as you have the first probe in Earth Orbit, you take the Artificial Satellite mission card. Since you can only maneuver your probe into Earth Orbit on your turn, this mission is completed during your turn.

Some missions have conditions that can only be met at the start of the year, like Space Station, so those mission cards are collected at the start of the year.

Your rules appear to grant the mission on a given turn to the player with the fewest points, but for different reasons. For beginning of turn missions, it's directly in the manual. For end of turn missions (normal missions) it happens that way because your rules dictate that players with the fewest points go first in the turn, thus ensuring that they too will get that mission first before the other players who might have otherwise achieved the mission in the same turn.

In our game that didn't quite happen, but it almost did. I had 0 points to my friend's 13 because I was relying completely on the Mercury missions. I got to Mercury flyby 1 turn before my opponent's ion engines with my mega rocket and took that 20 points. But 1 more turn and we would have been potentially achieving the mission on the same turn and I didn't realize I should be going first! Worked out though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The turn order rule (IMO) is little odd in that it only guarantees that the player with the lowest number of points go first. But after that, turn order is simply a function of where you're sitting at the table.

Let's say player A has 0 points, B has 30 points, C has 20 points, and D has 10 points. Players B and D have the ability to complete the same mission this turn. The rules say Player A goes first and then you proceed to the left. That means B, which has 3 times as many points at D, will finish his mission before D.

The rule is what it is, but it really only helps the lowest player, not the second-to-lowest player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
The turn order rule (IMO) is little odd in that it only guarantees that the player with the lowest number of points go first. But after that, turn order is simply a function of where you're sitting at the table.

Let's say player A has 0 points, B has 30 points, C has 20 points, and D has 10 points. Players B and D have the ability to complete the same mission this turn. The rules say Player A goes first and then you proceed to the left. That means B, which has 3 times as many points at D, will finish his mission before D.

The rule is what it is, but it really only helps the lowest player, not the second-to-lowest player.

Good point. I've only played it multiplayer once and that was with 2 players but your point is certainly correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:

Certainly. I drew that short straw in the last play-by-forum game here, and it really is frustrating since you can do nothing against it. I'll house rule that out in future multi player games and keep the order strict according to points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagar wrote:
saxophone wrote:

Certainly. I drew that short straw in the last play-by-forum game here, and it really is frustrating since you can do nothing against it. I'll house rule that out in future multi player games and keep the order strict according to points.

Either that or divide the points or give them to both or something. There are precedents for all those decisions in other games. Kepler 3042 for instance awards medals to both players if they both get there in the same turn (there is a stock of additional medals off board for that purpose).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.