Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Woodley
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I Plan. Dice laugh
mbmbmbmbmb
So being a European backer who foolishly ordered Ultrapro extras it seems like I won't get to play this for some time to come.

Those of you lucky enough to have your hands on this game how are you getting on?

What's the learning experience like?
Is the game fun?
Does the game offer a compelling gaming experience?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bryn!

Preface: I've been playtesting Apocrypha on-and-off since Spring 2016 -- but read on, as I also report about a first-timer. ;)

My copy arrived Wednesday, but I didn't have time to lay it out for play until today. My sweetie and I have played a LOT of Pathfinder ACG, but she'd never played Apocrypha.

(Even with my own designs, she doesn't like playtesting -- only wants to play completed, published games ... and that's fine.)

Coming from a PACG background, it's still a little weird to get used to the differences -- e.g.: halo and assisting options, fading, fragments, rolling only d6 but only getting to keep three at most -- but felt like that short-cutted about half the rules/learning.

If you like modern horror (which we both do), it's definitely fun thematically. If you like an ACG or co-op or problem/puzzle-solving game, it's definitely fun mechanically. As the above envelope almost all my gaming friends/family ... definitely fun for my crowd!

From my perspective, it's been (and will be all-over-again) compelling to see the world of Apocrypha unfold. For my sweetie, it's too early to say -- but given how she dug into PACG, and that Apocrypha's world is equally deep (or moreso), I fully anticipate her pronouncement of compellingness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yesbryn wrote:
So being a European backer who foolishly ordered Ultrapro extras it seems like I won't get to play this for some time to come.

I don't think you'll think that was foolish when the extras arrive, but regardless, we expect your order to get there not long from now. All of your order has left our hands, and is now in Poseidon's.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Woodley
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I Plan. Dice laugh
mbmbmbmbmb
So any reports from people who have just got hold of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting so far. It definitely feels a lot like PACG but enough is different that I can see why Mike is quick to comment on them being different.

I like the mechanics. Every check seems more risky and harder to math out than in PACG. I like the theme. I'm not wild about character customization but I'm only two games in. Maybe things change after Candlepoint.

Art is good, components are good. I don't see a Difficulty 14 check to recharge a base spell. I'm happy but so far I'm hoping there's more to come in character development and campaign structure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
This is a surprisingly rule-heavy game. In many such games, you can get by with one person who knows the rules well and everyone else can coast on his knowledge. Apocrypha if not one of those games: everyone needs to have a pretty strong understanding of what all the rules mean, or they're going to be completely lost looking at their hands.

This does not appear to be a game that you can spring on new players and start a game with 5-10 minutes of explanation; everyone who's going to play is going to have to have prepped in advance.

If anyone has suggestions for a new player introduction script, I'd love to have this impression proved wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guurzak wrote:
This is a surprisingly rule-heavy game. In many such games, you can get by with one person who knows the rules well and everyone else can coast on his knowledge. Apocrypha if not one of those games: everyone needs to have a pretty strong understanding of what all the rules mean, or they're going to be completely lost looking at their hands.

This does not appear to be a game that you can spring on new players and start a game with 5-10 minutes of explanation; everyone who's going to play is going to have to have prepped in advance.

I'd say that's a reasonable assessment. I've shown it first-time to someone who's a light-medium gamer, and they picked up 80-90% after ~15 minutes of intro, with those more experienced carrying them through (without being an "alpha gamer" or "armchair general").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Changing my mind on character growth - the fragment system has real potential. Outside of the mechanics (which so far in the base game haven't been too interesting but I can imagine the possibilities), I love the story. I'm already creating backstories in my head for my saints based on the fragments I've chosen. Really cool.

I'd also say that so far (4 games in) things aren't very difficult. I think across 4 games I've failed 2 checks and lost 0 missions. I'm sure it gets harder (or I'm doing something wrong) but games go quick right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Woodley
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I Plan. Dice laugh
mbmbmbmbmb
VoicelessFaces wrote:
Changing my mind on character growth - the fragment system has real potential. Outside of the mechanics (which so far in the base game haven't been too interesting but I can imagine the possibilities), I love the story. I'm already creating backstories in my head for my saints based on the fragments I've chosen. Really cool.

I'd also say that so far (4 games in) things aren't very difficult. I think across 4 games I've failed 2 checks and lost 0 missions. I'm sure it gets harder (or I'm doing something wrong) but games go quick right now.

Sounds promising, once the initial rules learning is out of the way it sounds like quite an immersive, imaginative game. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I'm looking looking forward to giving this game a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.