Hide
16 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero - Emerald Monkey rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brain craft
msg tools
All of my decks on this forum are conveniently listed and linked here.

Drunken boxing time! Cycle your deck, win valuable prizes! The character does have a detailed background that won't make sense to anyone else, but I only turned her into a deck because I wanted to use all those pun card names.

In terms of gameplay, the character should work like a weird version of Haka, discarding hand for power-ups. I wasn't entirely sure how to phrase Under the Table; the intent was that both Emerald Monkey and the other target take the same damage.

Emerald Monkey (27)

Stagger
(Power) Discard 1 card. Draw a card.

Incapacitated
- One player may draw 1 card now.
- One Hero target recovers 1 HP.
- One Hero character may deal 1 target 1 Melee damage now.

One-Shot (24)

Another Round (3): (One-Shot) You may play a card. You may use a power. You may draw a card. If you did not play a card or use a power, you may draw an additional card.

Distilled Spirit (2): (One-Shot) Draw a card. Discard up to 5 cards. Either destroy 1 target with X HP or less, or Emerald Monkey regains X+1 HP, where X = the number of cards discarded this way.

Get Smashed (2): (One-Shot) Discard up to 5 cards. At the end of this turn, Emerald Monkey deals 1 target X Melee damage, where X = the number of cards you discarded this turn.

Knock One Back (4): (One-Shot) Emerald Monkey deals 1 target 2 Melee damage. Draw a card.

Make it a Double (2): (One-Shot) The next time Emerald Monkey deals damage, she deals that damage to 1 additional target. You may play a card now.

Mud in Your Eye (3): (One-Shot) Choose a target. Prevent the next damage dealt by that target. Draw a card.

To Your Health (3): (One-Shot) Emerald Monkey and 1 other target regain 1 HP each. Draw a card.

Under the Table (3): (One-Shot) Emerald Monkey may deal herself and 1 other target up to 5 Toxic damage each. If this damage destroys a target, you may draw up to X cards, where X = the amount of damage Emerald Monkey took this way.

Wasted Opportunity (2): (One-Shot) Reveal the top cards of the Environment deck and your own deck. You may discard both cards or put both cards into play. Draw a card or discard a card.

Ongoing (16)

Body Shots (3): (Ongoing, Limited) The first time each turn you discard a card, Emerald Monkey deals 1 target 1 Melee damage. (Power) Emerald Monkey deals 1 target 2 Melee damage.

Extra Kick (3): (Ongoing, Limited) The first time each turn you discard a card, increase all damage dealt by Emerald Monkey by 1 until the end of the turn. (Power) Increase the next Melee damage dealt by Emerald Monkey by 1. You may discard 1 card.

Feeling No Pain (3): (Ongoing, Limited) The first time each turn you discard a card, reduce the next damage dealt to Emerald Monkey by 1. (Power) Discard 1 card. Emerald Monkey regains 1 HP.

Happy Hour (2): (Ongoing, Limited) At the end of each turn, you may use a power. At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

On the Rocks (2): (Ongoing, Limited) At the start of your turn, if you have fewer than 5 cards in your hand, you may draw a card. Otherwise, you may discard a card. (Power) You may discard 1 card. Emerald Monkey deals 1 target 1 Projectile damage.

Tumbler (3): (Ongoing, Limited) The first time each turn you discard a card, you may draw a card. (Power) Play a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
braincraft wrote:
I wasn't entirely sure how to phrase Under the Table; the intent was that both Emerald Monkey and the other target take the same damage.

It’s wording seems both clear and fine to me.

Quote:
I know that Wasted Opportunity is an almost cut and pasted Buffer Overflow. It's earmarked for a rewrite or culling depending on whether I can come up with a better implementation.

Never worry too much about cut and paste cards if they fit the deck. Having said that I’m not really a fan of Buffer Overflow to start with.

[p]Distilled Spirit -> Get Smashed is a potentially potent combination, but it's less reliable than Know When to Cut Loose, so I'm not too worried.[/q]

This combo is probably worse than you think but also kind of rare as the card draw in the deck is kind of low compared to the discards.
So in an ideal world fully set up your turn would be…

Play Phase: Distilled Spirit - this is triggering discard your hand so it triggers all you trigger…
Extra Kick - increase damage by one until end of turn
Body Shots - deal one target 1 melee damage (+1 from extra kick)
Feel no Pain - reduce next damage taken by 2
Tumbler - draw a card.
Then and only then if Tumbler drew Get Smashed, because the first thing you did was discard your whole hand
Power: Tumbler - Play a card.
Get Smashed

Honestly unless you’ve got some real good heroes manipulating your deck for you to set up this combo I think it’ll happen so rarely that it’s worth it for the happy moment.

While she looks good on paper I’m a little worried she might be a little under powered, but that will take playtesting to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one looks fun! I do agree that she looks underpowered, but then again, she's got at least a little ability to Chrono-Ranger her way to plinky damage.

My only concern is Happy Hour. She's got a total of three powers, so I'm not sure it's always going to be worth playing. Given it only lasts a round, it might be worth increasing the potency of the effect. (This is also a concern with Another Round.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Looks cool! It's difficult to judge the power level of so complicated a hero from a deck list alone - my gut says she's on the weak side, but not at all confident on that one.

I like the idea of Make it a Double, but it seems like given her deck is almost all plinky damage it wouldn't accomplish that much. It'd work well with Under the Table or Get Smashed, but only if she can play an extra card that turn (which itself only works via Another Round), or waiting an entire turn to use another card. Not impossible, but it seems like it might be a bit frustrating.

Speaking of, Under the Table looks like great fun, and cool name too!

Another Round is generally fine, bu as pointed out by Takewalker, she doesn't have many other powers, and if you only have the innate power, this becomes "Play a card, draw a card" which is quite unexciting.

I would disagree with Takewalker (uncharacteristically) on Happy Hour - even using the base power H+1 times would be great with all the on-discard effects she can get. If anything it'd be too strong! With Extra kicks and Body shot, for example, she can keep stacking the +1 damage every time she discards, which would get scary high pretty fast.

All the various "When you discard do stuff" ongoings could get pretty awesome in combination, but that requires playing 4+ individual cards, so it's okay to be really strong if it requires that much setup.

I don't have a problem with Wasted Opportunity being a copy of Buffer Overload (Buffer Overload is a cool card worthy of reusing, and a fun example of deck manipulation), but I dunno if it particularly belongs in this deck? I'm not quite sure how it fits into the Monkey's theme. Gameplay wise seems fine though.

I also like the balance where a lot of the cards (Body Shots, Extra Kick etc.) just want you to discard ONE card each turn, which is a fun little game to make sure you do, but you also have Get Smashed which encourages you to discard a whole lot at once, giving you a different way to play into the discarding theme sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
One other thing that struck me...

Body Shots has Power: Deal 1 damage, but the innate power will deal 1 damage anyway via Body Shots' trigger (as well as cycling a card). The only time this power would be useful is if you already got your discard via Distilled Spirit or On the Rocks (and debatably Get Smashed) which is not never, but very rare. It could probably stand to be 2 or maybe even 3 damage? Would also give him something vaguely useful to do while building up to the discarding combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, heck, I didn't realize Happy Hour was at the end of each turn. That's a very important distinction to make! >.< So it's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
Adelphophage wrote:
Looks cool! It's difficult to judge the power level of so complicated a hero from a deck list alone - my gut says she's on the weak side, but not at all confident on that one.

I like the idea of Make it a Double, but it seems like given her deck is almost all plinky damage it wouldn't accomplish that much. It'd work well with Under the Table or Get Smashed, but only if she can play an extra card that turn (which itself only works via Another Round), or waiting an entire turn to use another card. Not impossible, but it seems like it might be a bit frustrating.

Speaking of, Under the Table looks like great fun, and cool name too!

Another Round is generally fine, bu as pointed out by Takewalker, she doesn't have many other powers, and if you only have the innate power, this becomes "Play a card, draw a card" which is quite unexciting.

I would disagree with Takewalker (uncharacteristically) on Happy Hour - even using the base power H+1 times would be great with all the on-discard effects she can get. If anything it'd be too strong! With Extra kicks and Body shot, for example, she can keep stacking the +1 damage every time she discards, which would get scary high pretty fast.

All the various "When you discard do stuff" ongoings could get pretty awesome in combination, but that requires playing 4+ individual cards, so it's okay to be really strong if it requires that much setup.

I don't have a problem with Wasted Opportunity being a copy of Buffer Overload (Buffer Overload is a cool card worthy of reusing, and a fun example of deck manipulation), but I dunno if it particularly belongs in this deck? I'm not quite sure how it fits into the Monkey's theme. Gameplay wise seems fine though.

I also like the balance where a lot of the cards (Body Shots, Extra Kick etc.) just want you to discard ONE card each turn, which is a fun little game to make sure you do, but you also have Get Smashed which encourages you to discard a whole lot at once, giving you a different way to play into the discarding theme sometimes.

Agreed that Make it a Double might be hard enough to use that it's not worth using. I've considered making it an Ongoing that gets voluntarily expended instead of a One-Shot with no control over timing. I've also considered adding a card play, so it would lead directly into one of your good combos.

Again agreed that she needs some more powers. I tried for a while to think of something short I could add to her existing Ongoings, but eventually I decided that posting the deck for critique would be better for generating ideas than just continuing to sit on it.

Re: Extra Kick, the bonus is intended to last until the end of the turn it procs, not the end of EM's turn. I considered a stackable bonus, but it became too easy to make huge and it started to get hard to reconcile with the many small plinks.

Wasted Opportunity was supposed to represent the disruption effect of having an inebriated kung fu master tripping you up, but it might not be the best mechanical implementation of that fluff. Also, I liked the pun.

I'm still not 100% about Distilled Spirit dumping your whole hand, especially when there's no obvious combo with Get Smashed. The fluff is that she does some focusing her inner power thing, and then either recovers from injury or suddenly dunks on someone with chi-boosted strength.

I might bump the power on Body Shots up to 2 damage, or add something else to it. As is, it's only really useful if you already discarded with On the Rocks or Get Smashed, and with Get Smashed you probably wanted to do the double-play.

I also notice in retrospect that a lot of my decks (Liquid Courage here, Laugh it Off from Kitsune) have copies of Haka's Vitality Surge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
For Distilled Spirit, possibly it could be discard your hand then draw a fixed number of replacement cards (3? 4?), might make it more attractive and potentially gives you a clever combo with Get Smashed - you feel less bad discarding when you know you can get more.

To fit with the name, Make it a Double could potentially just be "Play 2 cards"? The monkey has enough card draw that it could be useful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
The original version of Distilled Spirit also gave some draw, but I wanted to represent that the ability was draining to use. Dumping your whole hand might be going too far in that direction, even with the occasional use as a booster for Get Smashed. I might just turn it into a variant of Get Smashed that lets you discard up to 5 for X effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
Changelog 26AUG17

Functionality of Another Round slightly changed.

Functionality of Distilled Spirit changed.

Functionality of Wasted Opportunity drastically changed. It's a One-Shot now.

Make it a Double now includes a bonus card play, for ease of use.

Damage of Body Shots' power bumped up.

Effectiveness of Feeling No Pain's damage reduction bumped down.

Extra Kick, Feeling No Pain, and On the Rocks now have associated powers.

I'm still not totally happy with Distilled Spirit, and it's actually a candidate for removal. Emerald Monkey still has some trouble if she doesn't get Tumbler out early, but she has enough draw and hand cycle in general that it should rarely be a problem.

I'm happy that she has more powers that give her consistent access to discard, which opens up design space for potential character card variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
Changelog 27AUG17

I just got rid of Liquid Courage in favor of more copies of more interesting cards.

Functionality of To Your Health changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Wasted Opportunity seems like it'd very rarely get used - it's almost never worth playing a villain card for a single hero card, they are far more powerful, so it'd just be draw a card and discard a card, a pretty poor effect.

I like Body Shots, but Extra Kick just seems like a clunkier version - the damage output is basically the same (and I appreciate you can have one Body Shots and one Extra Kick for combo fun), but Extra Kick is just doing damage but in a way that's kind of hard to remember. Plus, Extra kick by itself is a bit useless - I can gain extra damage this turn, but I might not have a way to actually deal it? The power seems extra annoying - generally I'm not going to deal that extra damage until my next turn, which is a fair while to remember something pretty minor. Maybe if the power was just "Deal 2 targets 1 damage each", that way it'd intrinsically combo fairly well with the +1 damage boost?

I like the new Make it a Double!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
Changelog 01SEP17

Wasted Opportunity changed to work on the Environment deck instead of the Villain deck. Hopefully it will seem like a more worthwhile play in more situations.

On the Rocks' power gets an optional discard. I shortened the wording a bit, to make sure the text fits well, but I'm not 100% that I didn't take a hit in clarity.

Extra Kick's power gets the discard timing changed and made optional.

I'm okay with Ongoing powers not always being extremely useful in themselves, so long as there's always something useful to do other than just cycling your hand, no matter what cards you have in play.

I'm still not happy with Distilled Spirit, and I'm not sure what to do with it, but I like both the idea and the name of the card, so I really want to keep it in some form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
For Distilled Spirit, it just seems like a very poor rate of return on the discarded cards, and Monkey seems like he'd need a lot of them. The first discard is important, but 2+ aren't so much, I can't see myself often going all in on that one.

I'd still say discard your entire hand (healing or destroying based off the number of cards discarded) then draw 4 seems more functional, if you're on 1-2 cards it's mostly just going to refill your hand (which monkey could often use), and if you have 6 or so cards it's a good cash in for an inefficient but still strong effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
Under the Table should be "the amount of damage dealt to Emerald Monkey this turn "
In Sentinels, "You" always refers to the player - and players can't take damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They can if you kick them hard enough. >:V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.