Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Hayward
United States
Clio
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 12, under Guard, the rulebook reads "If a saint won vs. a master, that saint's nexus is guarded..."

on page 13, under Seal, it reads "...if a saint won vs. a master or the nexus is empty, that attempt is automatically successful."

Maybe I'm reading into this wrong, but these seem to contradict the example on page 21, where Ophelia wins against the master, but Frank then buries a card to seal the nexus (the same one where Ophelia is at and just won against the master). According to the passage under Guard above, Ophelia won vs. the master, so her nexus is considered guarded since her nexus is on the Hope side, so Frank sealing it is moot since the only other locations were sealed and guarded, correct? Can a nexus also be considered guarded if not on the Hope side if a master is beaten at that nexus? (My first assumption to this is no)

Following that, going down the list of actions during the Sanctify step, after guarding the master attempts to escape, then the saint can attempt to seal (if possible). I haven't played the game yet (I'm just making it through the rules, this just stuck out to me), but how does a master factor into attempting a seal? Does it only count if the master is the last card? If so, it seems like sealing the nexus is automatic based on the quoted passage above under "Seal".

On the same subject as sealing, if a nexus is empty, and the attempt is considered automatically successful due to that, I assume you don't pay the cost?

I'm just wondering if I'm trying to read between lines here when I shouldn't. Can anyone clarify this, or tell me how I'm overthinking it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
malcolm reynolds
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question about Frank; it seems that he should not be attempting to seal Main Street.

Note that whether Ophelia's nexus is on Hope or Doom is irrelevant; winning versus a master always guards the master's nexus. Other locations may only be guarded if on Hope.

As for defeating the master and sealing the location, the Christmas in Candlepoint mission has the Corner structure, which tells you after the master escapes to seal your nexus if you won. Ophelia won, so the example should not have Frank sealing the nexus, so Ophelia seals it automatically.

When a seal attempt is automatically successful you do not have to fulfill the requirements to seal.

There is another error in that example: after rolling a 6, a 3, three 2's, and a 1, it says the three highest total 12, but they actually total 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Khaaaaan wrote:
I had the same question about Frank; it seems that he should not be attempting to seal Main Street.

Note that whether Ophelia's nexus is on Hope or Doom is irrelevant; winning versus a master always guards the master's nexus. Other locations may only be guarded if on Hope.

As for defeating the master and sealing the location, the Christmas in Candlepoint mission has the Corner structure, which tells you after the master escapes to seal your nexus if you won. Ophelia won, so the example should not have Frank sealing the nexus, so Ophelia seals it automatically.

When a seal attempt is automatically successful you do not have to fulfill the requirements to seal.

There is another error in that example: after rolling a 6, a 3, three 2's, and a 1, it says the three highest total 12, but they actually total 11.

Yup, those are both errors we hadn't seen before now. Well, we now have our first errata. Yay, us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Hayward
United States
Clio
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification! I always like play examples in rulebooks, this one just took me for a loop. I'm pretty sure my wife was looking at me strange while I was thumbing back and forth between that example and the Sanctify step pages!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for bringing this up Wesley. This was probably my biggest confusion in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
malcolm reynolds
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snojo800 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification! I always like play examples in rulebooks, this one just took me for a loop. I'm pretty sure my wife was looking at me strange while I was thumbing back and forth between that example and the Sanctify step pages!

Yeah, I also spent a lot of time going through that whole page to make sure I understood everything, including pulling out all the gifts to understand how they read and interacted. I definitely appreciate all the examples!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A slightly related question. Can a Saint Seal a Nexus when the Nexus becomes empty during that Saint's turn (i.e. can the Saint, via multiple Investigations, empty a Nexus then Seal it)?

Or, must the Nexus be already empty at the beginning of a turn for it to be Sealed.

Based on the turn order I am confident it is the former, but I thought it was worth checking, as I seem to recall from PACG (I know, they are not exactly the same) that a Location had to be already empty before attempting to Close it.

Thanks. Loving the game.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
malcolm reynolds
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. As on page 13, during the Seal step of Sanctify it says you may Seal when a card allows you to or your nexus is empty. And if your nexus is empty you automatically succeed and don't have to fulfill the requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Malcolm!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.