Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Can Bud
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mb
Hello all,

I have played my copy of Clank! for the first time last night. We played two 2p games, and they were a blast! I was much eagerly awaiting this game and I am glad it really was awesome.

Anyways, I have spent a couple of hours this morning scouring these rules threads to make sure we got everything as right as possible.

I had already perfectly understood that you had to play all your cards every turn. But I guess I had had this intuition that some of the beneficial effects were somewhat optional. Even though it did not come up on our two plays, if it had, I would have allowed it.

- Draws and thrashes: As mandatory as anything else, but it would be only once in a million that you would want to pass up on these.

- Discards: A single discard is technically optional, as you can avoid it. But technically, if you have two discards, you have two use at least one of those, right?
We have playing with open hands, as in you immediately play all your hand as soon as you draw it, as the game is extremely lax in terms of order of card plays. This makes it extra difficult to appreciate why a discard is only made optional by playing it last.

- Teleports: As movement is optional like with any other resource. We have had the feeling that using a teleport is just as optional. But by the rule that you must play all your cards and carry out all their effects, teleports also become mandatory.

So, have I gotten anything wrong? Does anyone else have reservations about making these actions mandatory? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you have it right. Cards are not optional so if you really don't want to discard, you play the card that says DISCARD last to get around that.

Playing your entire hand immediately is just wrong and a bad idea. What if I have a card that gives me something great if I do it's discard text, but I don't have anything I want to discard? However, I have another card that lets me draw. I play that card, get another card, and then decided that this new card doesn't help me at all and use that card for the discard.

For teleporting, it's mandatory, but can't you just teleport back to the same room you are in, effectively not moving? Might even get to claim some sort of reward again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonner Purinton
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
For teleporting, it's mandatory, but can't you just teleport back to the same room you are in, effectively not moving? Might even get to claim some sort of reward again.

Most of the teleport cards specify "to an adjacent room" preventing you from staying put.
After teleporting out, reentering the room through other means is legal and would net you the possibility of claiming an item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Seijuro
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About the thrashes, getting a magic pool when you don't have a stumble in your discard pile or play area'... that stings, since you have to thrash during or at the end of your current turn... not once in a million, let,me tell you that!

We also always put down the cards in the play area, since usually the train of thought goes movement and swords and then using skills... somewhere the creator described it as : your 5 cards give you a pool for movement, one for skills and one for swords, from which you can take whatever you need in whatever order you want. In our group, play goes faster playing your five cards immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teleport is really mandatory? Are you sure? We just assumed it was like normal movement, and therefore optional. Not sure if we've ever passed up on it, but we might have, especially on the expansion map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Moon 420 wrote:
Trump wrote:

Most of the teleport cards specify "to an adjacent room" preventing you from staying put.
After teleporting out, reentering the room through other means is legal and would net you the possibility of claiming an item.

Note: Remember that on the turn you enter a Crystal Cave room (by any means), you can’t use any Boots for the rest of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teleport provides more benefits than just movement. Like dodging monsters, bypassing locks and one way passages.

From the rules, page 10.
Teleport — Teleportation is a special form of movement that allows you to move to any room connected to your current room. You do not need to use Boots or fight any monsters in the tunnel. You can even use locked or one-way passages that you normally couldn’t.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Seijuro
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
Teleport is really mandatory? Are you sure? We just assumed it was like normal movement, and therefore optional. Not sure if we've ever passed up on it, but we might have, especially on the expansion map.

Well... teleport is a text effect and all text effects should be activated immediately. From the rulebook: p7 : the green player carries out the text on her cards as soon as she plays them. If you play with the app, sometimes it will teleport you to an adjacent room (a flooded one in the sunken treasures expansion). Sometimes this is helpful, unless you were trying to get away from it... so yes, teleportation can be good or bad. Sometimes it generates clank as well...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.