Subject: Setup help - No Way Out rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I played the intro mission and think I have a grasp of the mechanics. This morning I thought I'd try a mission of my very own. Now I'm very confused by the minion and archetype setup in No Way Out. How do you know how many archtypes to put in a nexus, and which ones? Is Minion C ever in the nexuses? A walk through would be great as I think the rulebook example is too simple in this case (or I'm missing something obvious).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'm playing with 2 players so 3 nexus3s. I think what I should do is seed Minion A (11,12,13) to get one in each nexus, then do it again with Minion C (1,2,3) to get one in each nexus. Then fill out the rest of the nexus as normal. Correct?

Maybe in the rules a calloutvis missing to say that you seed nexuses for each minion group or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VoicelessFaces wrote:
I played the intro mission and think I have a grasp of the mechanics. This morning I thought I'd try a mission of my very own. Now I'm very confused by the minion and archetype setup in No Way Out. How do you know how many archtypes to put in a nexus, and which ones? Is Minion C ever in the nexuses? A walk through would be great as I think the rulebook example is too simple in this case (or I'm missing something obvious).

Warning: Mild spoilers for this mission below.

The text is "After seeding the minion A archetypes, seed 1 minion C archetype into each nexus."

The definition of "seed" is "The goal structure may tell you to seed cards into nexuses. If so, draw a number of listed master and/or minion archetypes equal to the number of nexuses. If a master or minion type has multiple numbered archetypes listed, use as many as needed until you have at least one archetype for each true threat listed. Stop adding archetypes once there is one for each nexus unless told otherwise. For example, if the mission lists one master and many minions, and you have three nexuses, use one master archetype and the first two minion archetypes."

So say you have three nexuses and minion line "Minion A: Hay Man (11), Dust Bunny (12-16)" as you do in a 1-saint game of No Way Out. You get the Hay Man and two Dust Bunny archetypes (11, 12, and 13), shuffle them together, and shuffle one (without looking) into each nexus.

Now you need to shuffle in one minion C archetype (1, 2, and 3) into each nexus. You may note that there are no true threats assigned to these archetypes; it just says "See powers." So they're just numbered cards to be displayed as the powers suggest.

Hope that helps.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Mike. That's what I ended up doing. Is the text about seeding Minion C listed somewhere? I must have missed it but thought I looked over everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Omans
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not clear on what the numbers after the Minion names mean in the set up. I thought it was indicating the Archetype numbers but the example in the rulebook for setting up Christmas in Candlepoint contradicts that assumption. And your explanation is even more confusing when you say "two Dust Bunny archetypes (11,12,13)" and list three of the numbers.

BTW - i'm an experienced PACG player so I understand the underlying goal - you want to put a master or a minion in each nexus.

I'm setting up for Taking the Plunge and it lists:
master: Wendigo
Minion A: HC / Snow Angel (1-2)
Minion B: Bystander (13-16)

I'm playing 2 saints but with 4 nexus's. So am I putting 1 master (wendigo), 2 Minions A's and 1 Minion B spread out each to a nexus? And if so - again sorry, just want to remain on point - what do the numbers in parenthesis's represent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. B. M.
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snamo Zont wrote:
I'm not clear on what the numbers after the Minion names mean in the set up. I thought it was indicating the Archetype numbers but the example in the rulebook for setting up Christmas in Candlepoint contradicts that assumption. And your explanation is even more confusing when you say "two Dust Bunny archetypes (11,12,13)" and list three of the numbers.

BTW - i'm an experienced PACG player so I understand the underlying goal - you want to put a master or a minion in each nexus.

I'm playing 2 saints but with 4 nexus's. So am I putting 1 master (wendigo), 2 Minions A's and 1 Minion B spread out each to a nexus? And if so - again sorry, just want to remain on point - what do the numbers in parenthesis's represent?

The numbers represent the specific Archtype cards to use - the spread of numbers are for the max number of players - if you are playing with fewer than 6 players, only use as many of each Master and/or Minion as needed - so, if you needed to seed the Master - since there is only 1 Master, use Master 1; for Minion A, use Minion 1 and Minion 2; for Minion B, you only need 1 of those, so use Minion 13.

The numbers let you identify whether a minion is from A or B when you Confront them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VoicelessFaces wrote:
Thanks Mike. That's what I ended up doing. Is the text about seeding Minion C listed somewhere? I must have missed it but thought I looked over everything.

The text is on page 9 of the mission description under Structures: "After seeding the minion A archetypes, seed 1 minion C archetype into each nexus."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Snamo Zont wrote:

Those are the specific numbered archetype cards to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
mike selinker wrote:
VoicelessFaces wrote:

The text is on page 9 of the mission description under Structures: "After seeding the minion A archetypes, seed 1 minion C archetype into each nexus."

Thanks. Guess I ran right past it. I see it there now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I've played countless Pathfinder games and eight games of Apocrypha, and the structure for No Way Out still baffled me. Hence my visit here, since we're about to start playing in 5 minutes.

I think it wouldn't hurt to clarify the setup and general intent of this scenario in the FAQ - and also the Vital Fluid scenario - since people seem to be having above-average trouble with those two scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on mission summaries that consolidate mission-specific info from various sources into a single reference sheet for each mission -- i.e. relevant details from structure cards, mission cards, storybook instructions, and so on. It also includes a detailed step-by-step nexus setup summary for seeding archetypes, so that people don't have to do math.

If Mike's OK with it, I can post those summaries in the File section. (I'd just go ahead and do it, but it does quote a bunch of power descriptions, which are technically copyrighted...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still baffled by this one.

Playing No Way Out with 2 Saints.

I grab an 11 to represent Hay Man, along with a 12 and a 13 to represent Dust Bunnies, and shuffled 1 each into the Farm, Festival and Lot.
Then I grab Minions 1-3, and shuffle 1 each of them into the same Nexuses.

What on earth happens when I encounter Minion 1, 2, or 3. What are these "powers" I'm supposed to be looking at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
Still baffled by this one.

Playing No Way Out with 2 Saints.

I grab an 11 to represent Hay Man, along with a 12 and a 13 to represent Dust Bunnies, and shuffled 1 each into the Farm, Festival and Lot.
Then I grab Minions 1-3, and shuffle 1 each of them into the same Nexuses.

What on earth happens when I encounter Minion 1, 2, or 3. What are these "powers" I'm supposed to be looking at?

Never mind, I see it now. It's the 2 bullets at the bottom of the page. I was looking for some powers numbered 1-6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S B
msg tools
The "Powers" are the ones are the mission card.

more specifically, you have to seal the nexuses in order during this mission.

Minion C shows the order you Seal in (1,2,3). They are set to the side of that nexus when you find them.

When you beat Minion A:
-If you are at the lowest C, you can Sanctify, like normal.
-Otherwise you find the number, and then Lose.

The Minion C cards themselves do nothing but get revealed automatically for other effects to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.