Subject: Upcoming Campaign Wishlist - Please ADD!!!!!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we know CTG are good listeners, I figured someone should start a thread of ideas, since we also know a Campaign is both coming and still in development

Here are a couple earlier announcements of it by CTG, sounds good so far...

Quote:
This is still in development. It's a ways out, but will include some cool ways to tie together multiple playthroughs, including prologues and epilogues. Campaign mode will also feature ways to change up Days 1-3 of your adventure for added variety, challenge, and rewards.

Quote:
"Moar Bones! Oh yes, there is more! Have no doubt that in 2017, there will be plenty of TMB development going on. We see threads already forming on this subject. We can only confirm the following. Yes, an 8th Gearloc is in the making (backers will know who this is going to be). Yes, a more developed Campaign mode is coming, possibly containing Tyrant Epilogue choices, Artifacts from Tyrant battles, and Battle Scars for seasoned gamers to ramp the game difficulty even further. And finally, woven into the fabric of TMB is a story which will slowly unfold as a brand new adventure is revealed, full of encounters, Baddies, and even a new Tyrant! These expansions have a long way to to go and will probably not be ready for production until 2018'."

---

I would like to see a more elaborate World Map, with some interesting towns to visit, choices for exploration and maybe some "surprises" as it develops...

Other ideas

- Of course an interesting elaborate developing story with more potential pronounced forks in it, where some choices can take the story down a different path which leads to different encounters etc

- Generally have some choices affect the future/future choices

- Have a campaign consist of many 2 hour sessions, so have rest/save points roughly after every 4 battles or so

- More activities outside of the actual encounters/battles like: More mini-games and ones that affect the story, generally more things to do "in certain towns" like different buildings to visit each with different things to do like (some of these happen already): visit bar for rumors and maybe hire a mercenary (good for one battle just basic attack maybe one ability etc) , church to heal, guild to attempt training, shop to buy from select (very limited) items (add gold?), and so on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
No church for healing. As a Christian introducing religion (and false gods) into fantasy games (as well as magic) ruins the experience.

Right now TMB is more tech oriented and leaves magic, etc out of the mix. And that's good. Each player can imagine those backstories as they wish.

If anything just add a doctor. But then we don't get finished off and heal as a choice after each battle, so even that seems unneeded.

The system is pretty good as it is. Quick and easy right to the meat. Other games do campaigns. Not every game need too.

Now to the question.

More Encounters. Especially solo ones. For variety.

Perhaps variant battle maps. 4 lanes always, but 5-6 deep? Obstacles and LOS could be a nice addition.

But in general, it works great now. Just more more more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- More options for the first 3 days.
- Some way to increase loot carrying capacity (from 4 up to 5-6)
- No persistent legacy effects (i.e. nothing that requires destroying any game components permanently!!)
- Maybe an Innate +2 ability for each gearloc (and a way to get there)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please add pagan temples and Satan worship resulting in a magic character to round out the options. The lack of these things ruins my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd like to see large scale battles. Different battle mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gannaway
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really excited for the addition of a true campaign mode. I will definitely be adding that on to my pledge during the Kickstarter campaign for the first expansion.

I love the idea for more options for the first 3 days.

Different battle mats seems like it could be really cool as well.

One other addition that I would love to see at some point in the future is the addition of magic to the world. I love TMB, but I love the addition of magic into dungeon crawlers. I almost always play those types of characters when I play RPGs. One way of doing this would be to have an expansion that is a character, tyrant and baddie set that are magic based. This way those people who would prefer to not have magic in the TMB world, can just avoid that one smaller expansion and those who do not mind it can purchase it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gannaway
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thought I had. I don't mind the current method of training attack and defense. I just think it is too easy to work around. (E.g., if I have two training points and I want to train up attack, then attempt of the first one, if that fails, spend that point and then try again on the second one.) I think it would be cool to have a thematic mini game around training up attack and defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jiistme wrote:

One other addition that I would love to see at some point in the future is the addition of magic to the world.

There is already magic in the world.

How does Gendrics attack and summon his orb? How does the orb do damage to you when you roll bones? How is the Bone Dragon created and reanimated?

Magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdulla AlKendi
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a mini-game and multiple small maps (or a larger one). Another suggestion would be stronger Tyrants/Baddies with different levels, weapons, and bots.

Example of a mini-game:

A workshop where Gearlocs build items from the surrounding forrest, Baddie body parts, shops in the city. This opens a variety of combinations and new inventions making each game a unique experience. Items invented/built this way could be combat (weapons or armors), health (heal better), and explore/trap (better scouting or catching wild animals and use them in battle) item types. As an option, these smaller items could be combined to build a small, medium, or large bot depending on the item level used.

Example of multiple small maps:

Small neoprene boxes (other shapes?) that will be explored during the campaign. The order of explored locations will depend on the outcome of a battle or the need for item building. These maps are locations explored whereas battles occur on a separate larger map with different obstacles allowing for different strategies depending on the terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
jiistme wrote:

One other addition that I would love to see at some point in the future is the addition of magic to the world.

There is already magic in the world.

How does Gendrics attack and summon his orb? How does the orb do damage to you when you roll bones? How is the Bone Dragon created and reanimated?

Magic.

You're correct. My original comment was about the Gearlocs. I don't mind if the baddies use magic so long as I don't have to as the good guys.

Adding chars that use it won't dissuade me so long as they aren't required for play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdulla AlKendi
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea would be to have a Gearloc turn bad due to an incident where the other Gearlocs couldn't help and so he/she sides with the Baddies or acts as a hidden traitor. Later on in the game, he/she would become good again.

OR

A Gearloc falls into a trap and is captured by Baddies where they study him/her and then set him/her free. Later on in the game, a strong Baddie appears and is a bad/evil clone of the Gearloc that was captured earlier in the game.
Another variant would be that all Gearlocs have been captured by Baddies and later managed to escape. Little did they know that Baddies have created a mutant Tyrant (probably strongest) from these Gearlocs' cells giving him strong abilities.

The downside to this aspect in a campaign is the need for more than 1 player which isn't going to appeal to solo players like myself. Although, the second idea could be implemented by stating in the story that the Baddies have also captured the rest of the party and thus the mutant was created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My number one wish for the campaign is to make it true to Too Many Bones and not try to morph it into something else. A lot of good games are ruined when an expansion alters the mechanics of a game for the sake of being bigger, badder, and more complex. I do not need TMB to be Gloomhaven or Descent please.

My suggestion is to create a campaign around a themed encounter deck that ties together multi-playthroughs, and a stand alone party mat. That mat can be used to keep track of extra campaign specific things like party bonuses, scars, losses, and maybe even specific goals, items, or quests. I like the idea of being able to accrue extra training points and between a new play through swapping out to a new Gearloc and upgrading them early on. What would be awesome is if the mat could be stored in a separate box to keep the dice locked in place and easy to pick up again.

Stick with what makes the game work and just give us more of it with an even more in depth story to tie it all together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I wanted to add to the list is not one of gameplay or mechanics, but rather one of convenience.

I would like to see the next expansion that comes out to have enough room inside the box (with insert) to fit, not only that expansion, but the other future ones they have planned as well.

The less boxes I would have to carry around, the better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
industrialchild wrote:
The only thing I wanted to add to the list is not one of gameplay or mechanics, but rather one of convenience.

I would like to see the next expansion that comes out to have enough room inside the box (with insert) to fit, not only that expansion, but the other future ones they have planned as well.

The less boxes I would have to carry around, the better!

One of the most difficult things to do is future proof a box for a boardgame. It's virtually impossible unless you just make something ridiculously sized that you hope is big enough but could very easily end up with a bunch of empty space. It's just not a reasonable expectation.

The best thing is to release a game in waves with each wave fitting into one master box. So if they did a second wave, with expansion gearlocs, the box would be appropriately sized for all that content.

It's also worth noting that the box that holds everything right now is already ridiculously sized (won't fit in a Kallax shelf and is pretty darn heavy). To expect the next one to fit current AND future stuff is just unreasonable for a game this size with this level of quality. You'd have to make a separate trip to your car for just this box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

One of the most difficult things to do is future proof a box for a boardgame. It's virtually impossible unless you just make something ridiculously sized that you hope is big enough but could very easily end up with a bunch of empty space. It's just not a reasonable expectation.

The best thing is to release a game in waves with each wave fitting into one master box. So if they did a second wave, with expansion gearlocs, the box would be appropriately sized for all that content.

It's also worth noting that the box that holds everything right now is already ridiculously sized (won't fit in a Kallax shelf and is pretty darn heavy). To expect the next one to fit current AND future stuff is just unreasonable for a game this size with this level of quality. You'd have to make a separate trip to your car for just this box.

From Chip Theory Games website:

Q. Is there more content for the Too Many Bones universe in development?
A. Yes. We have several ideas for additional content in the works, including a campaign-lite mode, an additional Gearloc, and new solo and group Encounters.

So, I agree with you Donny that it is difficult to future proof a box for a board game. However, it is not impossible. It's only impossible to expect this box to hold all future content for this game, without even knowing ultimately what will be produced for it. Also, the gigantic box that you are envisioning is assuming that they have a stand-alone expansion planned later down the line that is roughly the same size as the current game.

But as you can see in the answer to this question on their site, the current plans for this game includes:

An additional Gearloc (the Core Box is already designed to fit this nicely).

A campaign-lite mode

New Solo and Group Encounters

So far these ideas they have mentioned don't take up a lot of real estate. Also note, I'm not wishing for a future box that will hold the Core Game with all expansion content! I agree with you on that too! I want to be able to pick my game up after everything is all said and done!

Hopefully, Chip Theory Games is inspired by some of the great suggestions they see on this list and implement some of them into other future content for this game as well.

I'm sure at this point, even Chip Theory Games doesn't quite know everything regarding what the future holds for this game.

I'm not wishing for something unreasonable here, like for them to predict to future and make some magic box that will remarkably hold everything.

I'm just wishing for them to keep that convenience issue in mind for the planned expansion content that is known to them at the point in time in which they start releasing it. I just want the least amount of boxes possible after everything is said and done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Quote:
Also, the gigantic box that you are envisioning is assuming that they have a stand-alone expansion planned later down the line that is roughly the same size as the current game.

You mean like the standalone Undertow expansion?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1812010/tmb-undertow-standa...

Granted, it won't be as big as the base game, but it's also not likely that this will be the final expansion of this size for TMB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, yes exactly like that Mike!

Gezz...hopefully we are not left with boxes upon boxes of stuff!

If anything, I'm hoping that in the long run it will at least be as manageable as Hoplomachus appears to be. That wouldn't be so bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.